• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Missing Codec?

mdhavey

Question

I just purchased Toast 10.05. I'm running on a Mac Pro tower on 10.6.2. I need to burn occasional short training videos. These used to be made on my computer in Final Cut Pro 5 (no longer compatible with snow leopard) and I didn't have any trouble burning them (before upgrading to snow leopard). Now when I try and burn or convert with Toast I get this error message: FileName.mov was not added because a required codec was missing (HDV 1080i60). Where do I get this codec? Should I tell the author to save .mov files in a different format that will burn on Toast? Help!

5 answers to this question

That codec is only available as part of the Final Cut Pro installation. If you backed up your Mac when it had OS 10.5 installed you should find the codec in either the System>Library>QuickTime folder or the root>Library>QuickTime folder. I would place it in the root>Library>QuickTime folder on your 10.6.2 system.

interesting advice, Eugene OR, except I can't find any root folder in my system -- and there wasn't a HDV 1080i60 file in the System Library QuickTime folder. Where in the world would the rood folder be??

I use root to refer to the base level of the hard drive's directory. When you open a Finder window by double-clicking on the name of your hard drive you are at the root level. There you'll see a Library folder. Open that. There also is a System folder that you can open and inside is also a Library folder. That is probably the one that you already looked at.

The codec should be in the QuickTime folder inside one of those Libraries on a backup that precedes when you updated to Snow Leopard.

@DigitalGuru: Now I know what you're getting at. Unfortunately, there is no 1080i60 codec in either place. There's none in my friend a video editor's 10.6 libraries either. These are actually .component files. Do you have a 1080i60 file in your library folders? Can you tell me exactly what it's called? Many, many thanks for all your help, btw. email me directly if you wish, mhavey@comcast.net

Okay, so here's the deal, courtesy of a FCP pro who wishes to remain anonymous in order not to run afoul of Apple. The 1080i60 codec is embedded in AppleHDVCodec.component -- it doesn't exist as a stand alone. In order to run on OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) one needs the new version of this codec (an older version existed in my Library folder). This comes with the new version of FCP and upon install gets deposited in the Library folder(s) that Digital Guru described above. That makes it pretty easy for a person who might have the new version of FCP to copy the codec and give it to another.