• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Why a need to re-render mpeg-2 files?

John Garth

Question

I have video files captured in mpeg-2 format on my PC, and am using Creator 2009 Videowave to edit these and then export them as mpeg-2 files, then use MyDVD to create menus, import the edited files and burn them to DVD.

Every import/export/burn stage seems to require Creator 2009 to re-render the mpeg files, despite the fact that they are saved as "generic mpeg-2" and I keep them in this format at all times. Why all the re-rendering? This clearly takes considerably longer than a normal save/copy, even on my relatively powerful PC.

I've also tried saving the output from Videowave as best quality DVD mpeg files, but the re-rendering in MyDVD seems to take even longer, and there appears no difference in video quaility if I do this.

Regards,

Garth

4 answers to this question

I have video files captured in mpeg-2 format on my PC, and am using Creator 2009 Videowave to edit these and then export them as mpeg-2 files, then use MyDVD to create menus, import the edited files and burn them to DVD.

Every import/export/burn stage seems to require Creator 2009 to re-render the mpeg files, despite the fact that they are saved as "generic mpeg-2" and I keep them in this format at all times. Why all the re-rendering? This clearly takes considerably longer than a normal save/copy, even on my relatively powerful PC.

I've also tried saving the output from Videowave as best quality DVD mpeg files, but the re-rendering in MyDVD seems to take even longer, and there appears no difference in video quaility if I do this.

Regards,

Garth

Probably bit rate. Chose an output option close to what the original video bit rate is. You may get the file to Smart Render. You'll see a gray swirl pattern which means the video is in an already DVD compliant format. If you do any editing, then the areas around the edit will need to be re-rendered.

Regards,

Garth

I just saw this post and maybe you can help me. I have mpeg2 files on my pc as well and videowave won't even recognize these files on my pc. I have other video and picture files and they all show up but none of the mpeg files do. I'm new to this and also somewhat computer illiterate, so I need an answer in plain english. I'm using MyDVD 9 studio premier as well.

I just saw this post and maybe you can help me. I have mpeg2 files on my pc as well and videowave won't even recognize these files on my pc. I have other video and picture files and they all show up but none of the mpeg files do. I'm new to this and also somewhat computer illiterate, so I need an answer in plain english. I'm using MyDVD 9 studio premier as well.

What program are you using? You are posting in eth Creator 2009 forum but state you are using myDVD 9 which is at least 2 version older.

What program are you using? You are posting in eth Creator 2009 forum but state you are using myDVD 9 which is at least 2 version older.

new2video is posting all over the place. His camcorder does MOD files. Creator 2010 has already been suggested to him as well as the opportunity for returning the product if bought on-line if it doesn't work.

I'm not sure if he has tried to rename the MOD files to mpg2 via Windows after setting Windows to not hide know extensions. Perhaps he will in one of his many redundant posts.

Edited by sknis