• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Converting Video TS Files

david alcorn

Question

I want to convert Video TS files (from DVDs) to play as film only (no extras), which I can then play through a Western Digital HD Media player. I can convert the

files to DV, AVI, H.264, HDV and they will all play beautifully.

What I cannot seem to get round is that when I take a 7-8 GB file and convert it, it becomes massive (even at modest 720p, 1280 x 720), reaching 35 to 48 GB in size.

What am I doing wrong? I am filling up my hard drive at an alarming rate.

If this is a repeat of anyone else's previous topic, I apologise, but I have searched for some time to get the answer. I don't have a problem with the software, just the size of the result.

I hope someone can help.

Dave

3 answers to this question

You do not need to upscale the videos from standard definition to high definition in order to play them with your WD device. There also should be no picture-quality benefit from doing so because Toast has to interpolate the additional pixels. I don't know if the WD unit upscales standard definition when playing via its HDMI connection but even if it does not, you're better off keeping the video in its actual pixel size.

Simply choose the AppleTV preset when exporting your video from Toast and use that version in your WD player.

Thanks. I will try that.

I thought DVDs were already 720p. I have so much to learn about this. I only changed to a mac just before Xmas and have never tried any of this before.

I don't know if the television or the media player does the upscaling, though I think it may be the television.

I wiil try converting film only to the AppleTV preset and take it from there. Nice to get a solution from so far away.

Dave

Tsantee

Thank you for this. I tried this with a video TS file, converted it to Apple TV settings and set to automatic. Result is sparkling and I would have to say a bit of a revelation.

Will have to re-do a few files now, but will be worth it for the space saved.

Problem solved, thank you again.

Dave