Mixed Mode CD and unwanted pauses

corleylr

Question

Hi, first time visitor to this forum. I'm using Toast Titanium 5.2 trying to create a mixed mode cd which includes 1 Quicktime file and 25 audio tracks crossfaded from Jam. I've created a disk image from Jam and loaded it into the Toast audio window (I was expecting to see just one track but it still lists all 25 with the appropriate cross fades) and dragged the quitctime file into the data window.

It creates a 26 track audio file (with track one being 5 seconds of silence) with the QT file as well. I can live with the one track of silence but it is inserting a pause of less than a quarter of a second between all of the aduio tracks/cross fades. Whaen I play the cross-faded tracks inthe Toast audio window, there are no pauses (all of the pause settings are set at 0 except for the initial 2 second pause on track one.

Here are the steps I'm following from online help....am I doing something incorrectly? Thanks in advance for any help!

Larry

Mixed Mode combines one data track and one or more audio tracks (using the Audio format) in a single session.

A message appears asking you to confirm that you want the mixed media option.

• The data portion of a Mixed Mode CD can be any of the Toast data formats.

• The audio tracks can be set up using Audio format.

1 In the Toast window, click Data.

2 In the Data window, choose one of the Data formats.

3 Drag the data files you want to the Data window.

4 Next, click Audio.

5 Drag AIFF extracted audio files or audio tracks from a music CD onto the Audio window.

6 Click Data format again.

7 Insert a blank CD into your CD-Recorder.

8 Press and hold down the Option key as you click Record (still in Data format).

9 In the Record dialog box, select an option:

• If you want to add data to this CD later, click Write Session. (If your source volume contains more than 625 MB Write Session is disabled.)

• To close the CD so that no further data can be added later, click Write Disc.

10 When you see the message, "Your disc is ready," click Eject.

3 answers to this question

What happens if you burn this as a regular audio CD without the data file? Do the gaps still appear? The reason I'm asking is this sounds like the disc was written track-at-once (TAO) rather than disc-at-once (DAO). I'm not sure if this means that DAO isn't possible with mixed mode CDs or if there is some other reason for the TAO recording. If it records okay just as an audio CD, then try burning as a hybrid CD instead as a mixed mode and see if that fixes the issue.

What happens if you burn this as a regular audio CD without the data file? Do the gaps still appear? The reason I'm asking is this sounds like the disc was written track-at-once (TAO) rather than disc-at-once (DAO). I'm not sure if this means that DAO isn't possible with mixed mode CDs or if there is some other reason for the TAO recording. If it records okay just as an audio CD, then try burning as a hybrid CD instead as a mixed mode and see if that fixes the issue.

I do have the DAO preference checked. I've burned 100's of this CD (it's our band's demo) as an audio cd without a problem, though it is always burned directly through the jam interface, not the Toast interface.

When burning through the audio window, I receive a message saying "The currently selected recorder has a minimum pause of 2 sectors between audio tracks. shorter pauses will be padded to the mimumum length." This must be my problem since it plays fine through the interface but not when I burn ....I would have thought creating a disc image would have turned the 25 tracks into 1 to eliminate the need for the 2 sectors.

I'll check the Toast 7 board to see if this eliminates the problem but that's little help since I'm on a G3 and 7 requires a G4 minimum.

Thanks for replying so quickly to my post!

Larry

I do have the DAO preference checked. I've burned 100's of this CD (it's our band's demo) as an audio cd without a problem, though it is always burned directly through the jam interface, not the Toast interface.

When burning through the audio window, I receive a message saying "The currently selected recorder has a minimum pause of 2 sectors between audio tracks. shorter pauses will be padded to the mimumum length." This must be my problem since it plays fine through the interface but not when I burn ....I would have thought creating a disc image would have turned the 25 tracks into 1 to eliminate the need for the 2 sectors.

I'll check the Toast 7 board to see if this eliminates the problem but that's little help since I'm on a G3 and 7 requires a G4 minimum.

Thanks for replying so quickly to my post!

Larry

Thinking about this message more, I'm guessing it is more about the burner in this iMac G3. I'll try to get a hold of a G4 and try it on that. I just searched the Toast 7 board and didn't find anything related to "two sectors".

Thinking about this message more, I'm guessing it is more about the burner in this iMac G3. I'll try to get a hold of a G4 and try it on that. I just searched the Toast 7 board and didn't find anything related to "two sectors".

There was a Philips drive that Apple used which had firmware that didn't allow DAO burning. A firmware update was available from Philips but it required putting the drive in a PC to install. Hopefully your attempt using the G4 will settle this as being a drive issue.

Archived