Am I the only one disappointed (AGAIN)

dmd_uk

Question

Having had my post deleted (hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm), I repost below

I have been a user of Roxio Creator for some time.

I started with V4 then upgraded to V7, which was wonderful.

V7 would not support SATA drives properly so I had to upgrade to V10. This was a tolerable program, but lacked features such as drag and drop, etc.

Now I've upgraded to 2010 to get WIN 7 support, and wish I hadn't wasted my money.

Firstly, it took 90 minutes to download over a broadband connection running at 9mbs.

Having learnt my lesson before with upgrading Roxio, I did the full clean intstallation, which took another considerable length of time. I can't remember how long, but my wife came down a t 2an to see if I was still alive.

Now the program is up and running, it is slow and, to my mind, does not nearly as well as previous versions.

I sometimes wonder if Roxio take any notice of anyone or anything.

David

I really have wasted not only my money but a great deal of time as well.

Treated myself to a brand new machine and loaded V2010 on it. I don't use IE or WMP so one of the applications (so many can't remember which) said it need WMP v11 or higher. No problem, I'll delete it later - Oh dear no option to unload individual apps. So I'll have to delete the whole program and start again.

The result an error message from Roxio say some error or other (meaningless combination of letters and numbers) and the machine is now running very slowly.

Now I have to hope that the clean install instructions will actually solve matters.

If the program is so good why has it been neccessary to compile a 2 page instruction on how to delete it. And don't blame Windows - other programs manage without.

And why don't Roxio warn people that the program requires .NET to download and run. Don't Microsoft control enough of lives as it is.

Furthermore it is an absolute disgrace that Roxio charge £1 pm for Tech Support on such a disgrace of a program

Edited by dmd_uk

8 answers to this question

OK - the 'meaningless' string actually has a meaning (it's a hexadecimal number) and that can be used to pinpoint where and what the error is - but if you don't give it, we don't know it

Running slowly - you have to disable Media Manager from start up. Think of that as the 'index' function in Windows Search - it's indexing media files and when it's doine speed returns to normal. If you don't want it dome, there has been plenty of posts as to how to disable it from starting

Drag to Disc being a useful function? Tell that to the people who lost data by relying on packet writing on RW drives. The majority of people here were glad to see the back of it

Tech support is available by e-mail. Did you try that or did you submit a ticket?

Uninstall - actually a LOT of programs leave bits behind when 'uninstalled' No uninstall program ever does a proper job. In the case of Creator 2010, unfortunately some bits are left that really need to be removed. You are aware of course that install programs are third party software (like MicroSoft Installer - .msi?)

True - it doesn't say you 'need' dotNET 3.5 - but neither does it say you 'need' DirectX or other things. They are loaded in with the suite because they are needed - that is common with a LOT of software in that MS segments are automatically presented, even if you already have them installed. The reason is they are required to run the application, game or whatever it is and they are Microsoft Windows components

Finally, the 'optional' program settings were dropped for the simple reason that most are interconnected and to maintain usability you can't start dismantling. Think of a car - you mightn't object to wind and noise, but would you really remove doors and windows or the carpet on the floor?

Now if you would care to tell us the problem and the error code we can try to help

Edited by gi7omy

Ok so now we have defence by sneering.

The string was meaningless - I know a hexadecimal number when I see it.

As I understand it, Media Manager is a Roxio Program. So we have to disable a Roxio program to make a Roxio program run properly?

I never had a problem with Drag to Disc and the other people to whom I recommended the program never had a problem either.

Sometimes (in fact more often than not), people need instant answers as they are in the middle of doing something. Have you tried emailing Roxio? 2 day reply if your'e lucky.

Just because other programs leave bits behind doesn't make it right. any that's not what I'm on about. Roxio seem to recommend going through the procedure anyway and, in another post elsewhere, I was told, in no uncertain tones, that I would have trouble if I did not do it.

I think that it should say other items might be needed, some people do not want some things on their computers.

I accept that most of the programs are interconnected - so why pretend they are different. At least separate out the ones that aren't interconnected and why have so many disparate functions in a program anyway? I think it may be a case of trying to do too much in one program.

You are on dangerous ground bringing the car comparison look at

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gates2.htm

David

Now it seems quite obvious you don't WANT to be helped. You refer to 'sneering' - yet you are the only one doing that.

No-one here can mind read - no-one knows what your background is, no-one knows what your computer specs are, no-one knows what your roblem may be - and no-one knows if you can differentiate between binary, bcd, octal, denary or hex - so don't make assumptions.

You were asked to GIVE the hex string - you won't even do that, you assume that 'oh I can pick and choose what I want and ignore linked parts', you assume that MS components shouldn't be needed, wh not go the whole hog and dump windows and use gcombust instead - then rant at the OS Foundation ?

Edited by gi7omy

Quite right, I don't want help in this context. This post is about my disappointment with the program. Had I wanted help I would have posted in the appropriate section.

I can't give the hex string because I didn't make a note of it.

Believe me if I could dump Windows and the whole MS monoploly I would.

All your replies have done is make me even more anti Roxio than I was before. Here is a company that relies on 1st contact help on a bulletin board and it's supporters don't help just rant.

Could I add an observation?

I will continue along the the lines that I can.

The statements of the originator of this thread has left me with the belief that this is Roxio forum run by Roxio. It seems that the originator does not know or care that it is run by users.

cp

Hi David -

The download time can be about right for a 2 gb file. Also, bandwidth is dependent on how many people are on your subscription (DSL can be as susceptible to bandwidth issues as much as Cable if everybody is on right after work or first thing in the morning).

Clean installs - yes - we're working on making that process easier now. The good news is that Creator 2010 is the most robust installer we've ever had and will be easier from here on out.

As for the slowness, it's probably the hard drive watcher indexing your medias files. You can learn how to improve performance here: Improving Creator and Easy VHS to DVD performance.

We don't allow individual installation and removal of apps because they are all integrated for easy application switching. For example, if you record a video and and you can send it to MyDVD; or you can add your audio and send it to VideoWave, etc. Allowing elective installation would break those links and the program and people would be complaining about something else on the boards ;)

Finally, .Net is for the web interactivity of the software and most people have some version of this already installed. We install it to make customers can utilize all the features of the software, just like we offer to install the latest version of DirectX as well. It only updates if the latest version isn't present.

Since we're not actively trouble shooting here, I'm going to close this thread. However, if you want assistance, you can ask for help in a new thread or contact our support team via email for free here: https://selfserve.roxio.com/

Jon