video jerks along when capturing

billb4515

Question

When I hit "capture" the video goes along for about 1 minute then starts jerking and missing little bits of the video. HELP!

It runs smoothly when not trying to capture.

Thanks,

Bill

Toshiba Laptop computer

Windows Vista home premium Service pack 2

AMD Turion 64x2 mobile technology TL060 32 bit processor 2.00GHZ

21gig left on 200 gig hard drive

Just defragged hard drive. The capture went a bit longer before before jerking again, but every few seconds would miss a beat before picking up again.

Windows Media player ver. 11.08

Video Card ATI RADEON X-120

5 answers to this question

When I hit "capture" the video goes along for about 1 minute then starts jerking and missing little bits of the video. HELP!

Thanks,

Bill

Toshiba Laptop computer

Just defragged hard drive. The capture went a bit longer before before jerking again, but every few seconds would miss a beat before picking up again.

What capture setting are you using?

21gb free space isn't going to get it!

The Operating System needs swap file space and a hour of DV AVI capture will eat 12gb...

Shut down everything (processes) while capturing, it's CPU intensive...

cd

Edited by cdanteek

Thanks,

Bill

Toshiba Laptop computer

The vhs tape is only 6 minutes long so I'd think that 21 gig should hopefully be enough room.

I'm using the default capture setting which is says DV or 720x480, AVI. Should I change it to something else? If so, what?

Thanks, Bill

The vhs tape is only 6 minutes long so I'd think that 21 gig should hopefully be enough room.

I'm using the default capture setting which is says DV or 720x480, AVI. Should I change it to something else? If so, what?

Thanks, Bill

You have enough free space to cover the 6 minutes but make sure the hard drive is defragmented and you are not using the computer for anything else while capturing.

Where do you see the "jerking"? While capturing or in the captured video when played. If while capturing then you may be able to ignore it since the preview is not representaive of the final captured video.

Yes, no other programs were running and I did a defrag and restarted the computer before the capture.

I used the default capture, DV mode

What I got on the DVD output was jerky also

I ran the capture mode down to DVD LP mode before I was able to capture with less jerking. I'm wondering if there is a buffer in the machine that is too small. If so, is there any way to enlarge it and where would I find that information to change it on a Windows Vista operating system?

Thanks Again,

Bill

I had a dirty CPU causing similar performance issues. Turns out it was the CPU stressing out to 100% cause I hadn't cleaned the dust out of it for a while. Found this out by using the windows task manager CPU Performance window (Cntr Alt Del) This happened recently on my Toshiba Satellite M45-s359 laptop running Windows XP SP3. Things were working well for a number of months before until the dust became too much of a cooling problem.

Edited by I Like Toast