• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DL DVD Burning Problems

LJ Eden

Question

LG DL DVD player/burner into my G5 Power Mac running 10.5 (Dual 2 GHz, 4 GB DDR SDRAM)

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N:

Firmware Revision: 1.03

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

I'm using Sony AccuCore DVD + R DL discs.

I use Toast 10 Titanium to to burn dl discs. At this point everything works fine. Source data verified ok, burn goes off without a hitch, and disc verification at the end comes up clean. The disc even mounts without a problem.

However, if I eject the disc and then reload it then the bad starts to happen.

Disc utility doesn't even recognize that a disc has been inserted.

Toast 10 Titanium says that it is a 31.25 GB DVD-ROM but can't do anything with it.

Help? Please?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

This has me stumped. What format disc did you burn? Which version of Toast are you using? If using Toast 10.0.5 then try again with an earlier version of Toast 10 (10.0.4 is available from Roxio's software updates page). You also might try saving as a disc image and then burning the disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

This has me stumped. What format disc did you burn? Which version of Toast are you using? If using Toast 10.0.5 then try again with an earlier version of Toast 10 (10.0.4 is available from Roxio's software updates page). You also might try saving as a disc image and then burning the disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

I have a PowerMac G5 which I don't think is compatible with the most recent update of Toast.

Toast Titanium 10.0 (530) according to get info

Basic Recorder settings have the write speed as Best.

Advanced Recorder settings say:

Audio CD: DAO is selected

Data CD: Write disc is selected

Enable buffer underrun prevention is checked.

Update: I had the .dmg file that I originally burned mounted on the desktop. Then I inserted one of the 4 coasters that haven't been working to see if I could find any information about it. The disc loaded fine but when I did it again after unmounting the .dmg it again failed to load properly or mount on the desktop.

So if the original disc image is mounted, the burned dvds work. If the image isn't mounted they show up as unreadable 31.25 GB DVD-ROM discs.

I must be doing something wrong.

Toast 10.0.4 does work with your G5. Toast 10.0.0 has many issues. I don't know if the problem you're experiencing will be different with the update, however. Interesting that the disc mounted when the disc image also is mounted. Very strange.