• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Ganesan

Extracting audio from DVD

Question

I have a concert DVD whereby I am trying to extract only the audio. There are 20 chapters on this DVD and when I try to extract the audio, it only comes out as one HUGE audio file. How do I make it such a way that I get 20 individual songs/ chapters when I rip the audio?

Please guide me accordingly, thank you :)

edit: this is not a copy protected disc, btw.

Edited by Ganesan

9 answers to this question

EDIT: I just re-read your post, and realized that you already are able to extract the audio! Sorry about that...

I don't own Toast 10 yet, but I know a few things about extracting audio. If you can extract .ts files from DVD's, you should be ale to use MPEG Streamclip (free) to open it, and export just an AIFF file. From there you can use your program of choice to compress or up-sample that file into whatever you want. One program I love for extracting audio directly from any program running on your mac is Wiretap Studio. That you have to pay for. But it allows you to capture real-time audio from your system as a whole, or any running program. And you can specify what file type, and at what sampling rate you want that captured file. :-)

Edited by Rohlfie

EDIT: I just re-read your post, and realized that you already are able to extract the audio! Sorry about that...

I don't own Toast 10 yet, but I know a few things about extracting audio. If you can extract .ts files from DVD's, you should be ale to use MPEG Streamclip (free) to open it, and export just an AIFF file. From there you can use your program of choice to compress or up-sample that file into whatever you want. One program I love for extracting audio directly from any program running on your mac is Wiretap Studio. That you have to pay for. But it allows you to capture real-time audio from your system as a whole, or any running program. And you can specify what file type, and at what sampling rate you want that captured file. :-)

thank you Rohlfie :) i was under the impression that with Toast 10, i would have a 1 stop solution to do what i want. I am pretty sure there are others out there with Toast 10 who would have done what I am trying to do... I have dropped a note to tech support via email and while waiting i thought i'd pop by here and ask the rest of the experts.

I have a concert DVD whereby I am trying to extract only the audio. There are 20 chapters on this DVD and when I try to extract the audio, it only comes out as one HUGE audio file. How do I make it such a way that I get 20 individual songs/ chapters when I rip the audio?

Please guide me accordingly, thank you :)

edit: this is not a copy protected disc, btw.

Select the VIDEO_TS folder using the DVD setting in the Toast Media Browser. Use the button below "DVD" to select the chapter level of the video titles. Drag the chapters to the main window with Video files as the format. Toast extracts the individual chapters as separate files. Click the red button and choose QuickTime movie as the format. Select Custom next to Quality and click the Change button. Uncheck the box next to Video. Click Settings in the Audio section and choose what format you want. Linear PCM is the same as AIFF. When finished with these settings save the files to your hard drive. They will have the .mov extension but are audio only files. If you then select Audio Files as the format in the Toast Convert window or add to the files to the Audio window you'll see that they are treated as any other audio file.

You can simply edit the .mov extension to the extension for the format you created such as .aiff and the files will show in the Finder as regular audio files rather than QuickTime files.

Select the VIDEO_TS folder using the DVD setting in the Toast Media Browser. Use the button below "DVD" to select the chapter level of the video titles. Drag the chapters to the main window with Video files as the format. Toast extracts the individual chapters as separate files. Click the red button and choose QuickTime movie as the format. Select Custom next to Quality and click the Change button. Uncheck the box next to Video. Click Settings in the Audio section and choose what format you want. Linear PCM is the same as AIFF. When finished with these settings save the files to your hard drive. They will have the .mov extension but are audio only files. If you then select Audio Files as the format in the Toast Convert window or add to the files to the Audio window you'll see that they are treated as any other audio file.

You can simply edit the .mov extension to the extension for the format you created such as .aiff and the files will show in the Finder as regular audio files rather than QuickTime files.

Am also trying to extract audio only from VIDEO_TS folders and having trouble. Followed tsantee's directions, which all went as described except that both the .mov files played in Quicktime - and Toast converted audio files (from .mov) of any type have no sound. If I include the video in the .mov, the video works but the sound does not. DVD's burned from same VIDEO_TS folders are fine - audio and video. [mac os x 10.6.2; toast titanium 10.0.6]

Am also trying to extract audio only from VIDEO_TS folders and having trouble. Followed tsantee's directions, which all went as described except that both the .mov files played in Quicktime - and Toast converted audio files (from .mov) of any type have no sound. If I include the video in the .mov, the video works but the sound does not. DVD's burned from same VIDEO_TS folders are fine - audio and video. [mac os x 10.6.2; toast titanium 10.0.6]

How does Toast describe the audio that's in the VIDEO_TS folder. You can see this description in the Convert window after dragging in the video from the Media Browser or by just holding the cursor over a title or chapter in the Media Browser.

Do you have Perian installed (www.perian.org). If not, install it and see if that fixes the issue.

By the way, I've found that Popcorn 4 extracts just the audio when dragging from the Media Browser to the Audio files setting in the Convert window. That sure simplifies this. I wish Toast would support doing it this way.

Edited by tsantee

How does Toast describe the audio that's in the VIDEO_TS folder. You can see this description in the Convert window after dragging in the video from the Media Browser or by just holding the cursor over a title or chapter in the Media Browser.

Do you have Perian installed (www.perian.org). If not, install it and see if that fixes the issue.

By the way, I've found that Popcorn 4 extracts just the audio when dragging from the Media Browser to the Audio files setting in the Convert window. That sure simplifies this. I wish Toast would support doing it this way.

The VIDEO_TS folder is an encryption free concert video (Crowded House, Farewell to the World). Here is the info from the media browser of a single chapter:

[Video: MPEG-2 NTSC 720x480 Audio: 4 tracks]. This came from Popcorn 4 media browser as I wanted to try that as well.

- I dragged a single chapter from media browser to audio files in popcorn 4, which brings up a dialog to refine the track / play etc. Hitting play produces correct audio.

- Audio in this dialog is noted as Dolby Digital

- Clicking "Add" extracts the audio clip. Clicking "Info" on the audio clip = "Apple Lossless Stereo 48000Hz" .m4a

- Clicking "Play" inside popcorn 4 on that clip = no audio

- Clicking "Convert" (w/AAC selected) = no audio

I do not have Perian installed but will try in a bit. Help is greatly appreciated...will keep you posted. Any further insights also appreciated.

Quick update...I pulled the same clip into Toast/Convert/Video Files and the info is a little more detailed about the audio...it says:

Audio: DTS, 5 channels, 48000hz

Edited by Niwotian

The VIDEO_TS folder is an encryption free concert video (Crowded House, Farewell to the World). Here is the info from the media browser of a single chapter:

[Video: MPEG-2 NTSC 720x480 Audio: 4 tracks]. This came from Popcorn 4 media browser as I wanted to try that as well.

- I dragged a single chapter from media browser to audio files in popcorn 4, which brings up a dialog to refine the track / play etc. Hitting play produces correct audio.

- Audio in this dialog is noted as Dolby Digital

- Clicking "Add" extracts the audio clip. Clicking "Info" on the audio clip = "Apple Lossless Stereo 48000Hz" .m4a

- Clicking "Play" inside popcorn 4 on that clip = no audio

- Clicking "Convert" (w/AAC selected) = no audio

I do not have Perian installed but will try in a bit. Help is greatly appreciated...will keep you posted. Any further insights also appreciated.

Quick update...I pulled the same clip into Toast/Convert/Video Files and the info is a little more detailed about the audio...it says:

Audio: DTS, 5 channels, 48000hz

Toast (and Popcorn) cannot decode DTS audio. Maybe there is e a Dolby AC-3 or PCM track you can choose instead.

Toast (and Popcorn) cannot decode DTS audio. Maybe there is e a Dolby AC-3 or PCM track you can choose instead.

OK, dumb question. In Media Browser in Popcorn there are the 27 chapters listed in the lower pane, along with a thumbnail. As I noted before, the hover-over info on each track for Audio says "4 tracks" - which conveniently corresponds to the # of audio track choices in the DVD menu when you play it (DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital original live, Dolby Digital new mix, Band commentary).

How in the world do I specify in Popcorn which one I want? I don't see any access to the individual audio choices in Media Browser.

---

Update - When I drag a chapter into Audio Files in Popcorn, a dialog that appears that allows you to play the chapter, specify the chapters, specify the audio, etc. If you play the chapter in that dialog, there are no gaps. Sometimes, the Audio pick list is populated with the 4 audio track choices noted above. Sometimes, for the same chapter, it only has Dolby Digital. Very strange. Then picking Dolby Digital and clicking "Add" starts the digital audio import. Once that is complete, if I click "Info" for the clip that was just created, it says that it is Apple Lossless. Is this expected / controllable? If I click the "Play" icon in blue at the bottom for the clip, there is NO sound. This is even before the export to other formats. Whatever is killing the sound is during the digital audio import.

Edited by Niwotian

OK, dumb question. In Media Browser in Popcorn there are the 27 chapters listed in the lower pane, along with a thumbnail. As I noted before, the hover-over info on each track for Audio says "4 tracks" - which conveniently corresponds to the # of audio track choices in the DVD menu when you play it (DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital original live, Dolby Digital new mix, Band commentary).

How in the world do I specify in Popcorn which one I want? I don't see any access to the individual audio choices in Media Browser.

I'm not 100% sure of this but I think what you do is select a chapter in the Convert window (after extracting via the Media Browser), click the edit button and then select the audio track by clicking the button where the audio is described in the Edit window.