anti-technology rant

golinux

I just need to vent about my week of frustration trying to find a TV to replace the 19" Sanyo that has served me so well (if quirkily) for nearly 9 years. I'm not into wide screen, for me bigger is NOT better - I can barely lift a 19" - and I'm only interested in local network channels. Who really needs hundreds of channels polluting the airwaves? Finally, the switch to HDTV that's coming in 2009 annoys me to no end. I didn't ask for it and don't want it. But there it is. The telecoms have had their way. :)

Currently I am using rabbit ears, bowtie with a signal amplifier and the Sanyo does pretty well with it. Much to my dismay, the tuners in the newer sets - I've tried three so far - really, suck and won't bring in much of a signal. So where does that leave me??

Maybe it's time to pull the plug. Thanks for listening . . . :huh:

sisterscape

Currently I am using rabbit ears, bowtie with a signal amplifier and the Sanyo does pretty well with it. Much to my dismay, the tuners in the newer sets - I've tried three so far - really, suck and won't bring in much of a signal. So where does that leave me??

GETTING THE BEST POSSIBLE RECEPTION ON YOUR TV

http://www.click2houston.com/station/4978055/detail.html

cdanteek

I hope you find a way to fight the system and make it work for you.

Personally, I tape a very few selected shows that I watch when I have the time to spare, not when the networks want me to view them.

We all need the tvs though, if for no other reason than to watch all those dvds that we make..lol.

Thanks for the link, cdanteek. There are a few new ideas in there for me to try out. If I had a camera, I would take a shot of how I have things set up - real twisted - but it works for the most part on the Sanyo.

There isn't much on TV I want to watch . . . well, there are a few guilty pleasures. I also do a lot of taping for later viewing. Since I live in the boonies, TV is pretty much my social life - I rarely interact with people in the flesh. I would miss it but there have been times that I have disconnected and survived quite nicely. :)

Thanks for the moral support everyone.

I hope you find a way to fight the system and make it work for you.

Personally, I tape a very few selected shows that I watch when I have the time to spare, not when the networks want me to view them.

We all need the tvs though, if for no other reason than to watch all those dvds that we make..lol.

The WinXP has a combo drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM), that's where I can watch my DVDs ... or make arrangements to go visit someone who does have a DVD player.

I don't make my own, tho.

Lynn

The WinXP has a combo drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM), that's where I can watch my DVDs ... or make arrangements to go visit someone who does have a DVD player.

I don't make my own, tho.

Lynn

I don't mean to get personal, but I suppose that I just assumed that everyone posting here burns DVDs.

I guess I'll never get too old to learn not to make assumptions!

I don't mean to get personal, but I suppose that I just assumed that everyone posting here burns DVDs.

Actually, the combo drive is a radical advance in technology (for me). But I still detest WinXP. But any website that won't play nicely with my Win98 SE, gets relegated to the WinXP. The Win98 SE is the one that remains up & running 24/7. (It has ECDC 5 installed, altho burning and scanning have been relegated to the WinXP.)

Lynn

Guest mlpasley
.....I suppose that I just assumed that everyone posting here burns DVDs.

It's a common misconception. Everyone comes to solve their own problems and making video DVDs brings a lot of people to these forums to solve problems. That's what brought me here.

However, many people use the program to only burn CDs. Easy CD Creator has been around for a long time.

Archived