Menus don't work properly with DVD Player

Nineball

Question

I have made several DVDs containing captured TV programs. Everything seems to work correctly within the Roxio MyDVD software, but when I play the DVDs on using my Sony set-top player (or any DVD software on my PC), I cannot correctly select the menu buttons I want. I am using Imation media (DVD+RW), and I have tried several menu styles, but they all work the same way.

13 answers to this question

I have made several DVDs containing captured TV programs. Everything seems to work correctly within the Roxio MyDVD software, but when I play the DVDs on using my Sony set-top player (or any DVD software on my PC), I cannot correctly select the menu buttons I want. I am using Imation media (DVD+RW), and I have tried several menu styles, but they all work the same way.

Some more details please :rolleyes: What does "cannot correctly select the menu buttons I want" mean? What happens exactly?

BTW, get some quality DVDs such as Verbatims, in my opinion (and others here on the boards) Imation are very low quality discs.

Some more details please :rolleyes: What does "cannot correctly select the menu buttons I want" mean? What happens exactly?

BTW, get some quality DVDs such as Verbatims, in my opinion (and others here on the boards) Imation are very low quality discs.

The problem has two parts: 1. Some of the buttons, are not accessible. No matter which arrows are pressed on the remote, some buttons are never highlighted. For example, the disk may have three title (tv show) but I can only select the first one. Or a title may have six chapters (scenes) but I can only choose 1 and 2. Part 2: The highlighting is messed up. For example, say a title has six chapters, and the buttons are lined up in two rows of three. when I select button 1, only the left side of the button is highlighted. When I press the right arrow to move to chapter 2, the middle of button 1 is highlighted.

Edited by Nineball

1) I bet you moved the buttons around. That will screw up the navigation.

2) The "buttons" are bigger than they appear on your monitor. If you moved the buttons, they tend to overlap and cause other problems.

3) Start over, add the video in the order you want, shorten the names and don't move them.

1) I bet you moved the buttons around. That will screw up the navigation.

2) The "buttons" are bigger than they appear on your monitor. If you moved the buttons, they tend to overlap and cause other problems.

3) Start over, add the video in the order you want, shorten the names and don't move them.

I ran into the same problem. I found that menus only worked properly in HQ mode.

Just a theory, could compression foul up the rendering process? :huh:

I ran into the same problem. I found that menus only worked properly in HQ mode.

Just a theory, could compression foul up the rendering process? :huh:

1) Not true unless you have a bad nstall.

2) No

Probably a moot point, the OP never came back to give us any information. Usually that means that they fixed the problem or there wasn't a problem to begin with.

Edited by sknis

I have run into the same issue. The menu items appear properly on the screen, I did not move them, and they work properly during preview. But when I attempt to play them on my DVD player the menu items do not highlight. If you count your button pushers on your remote carefully you can get to the menu item you want to view but you cannot see them highlight. This was not an issue with 2009. Looking for any help I can get.

I have run into the same issue. The menu items appear properly on the screen, I did not move them, and they work properly during preview. But when I attempt to play them on my DVD player the menu items do not highlight. If you count your button pushers on your remote carefully you can get to the menu item you want to view but you cannot see them highlight. This was not an issue with 2009. Looking for any help I can get.

Did you select what kind of highlight you wanted? Did you do the items in the image?

This problem has been raised a number of times. I questioned in another post if this could be associated with compressing the video file to something less then HQ.

To test my hypothesis I did the following:

I set up a menu template described here: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=18169. I then added 6 video clips captured from 25 year old VHS tapes, making sure I did not exceed the 60min time limit for a 4.7gb disk in HQ. The menu style was somewhat complex, with some clips containing additional chapters. I previewed and everything look fine. I then burned to a folder set, then to a rw disk and checked the result on two different DVD players. Everything worked fine.

I then went back to my original dsmd in MY DVD and added another video clip, resulting in a time length of 93min. and a SP quality setting. I repeated the burn process as above. The result was less then satisfactory. Menus would not highlight when the project was previewed on the computer. However, when moving the curser around the screen you could fine where the buttons should be located.

I returned to My DVD and made one change. I set the disk size to 8.5gb HQ quality, burned to a folder set and then used Nero recode to compress for burning to a 4.7gb rw disk. Nero shrunk the file to 85%. I tested the final disk on the two dvd players and it worked beautifully. The menus worked as they should and the video quality was not much less then the original tapes. :)

This problem has been raised a number of times. I questioned in another post if this could be associated with compressing the video file to something less then HQ.

To test my hypothesis I did the following:

I set up a menu template described here: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=18169. I then added 6 video clips captured from 25 year old VHS tapes, making sure I did not exceed the 60min time limit for a 4.7gb disk in HQ. The menu style was somewhat complex, with some clips containing additional chapters. I previewed and everything look fine. I then burned to a folder set, then to a rw disk and checked the result on two different DVD players. Everything worked fine.

I then went back to my original dsmd in MY DVD and added another video clip, resulting in a time length of 93min. and a SP quality setting. I repeated the burn process as above. The result was less then satisfactory. Menus would not highlight when the project was previewed on the computer. However, when moving the curser around the screen you could fine where the buttons should be located.

I returned to My DVD and made one change. I set the disk size to 8.5gb HQ quality, burned to a folder set and then used Nero recode to compress for burning to a 4.7gb rw disk. Nero shrunk the file to 85%. I tested the final disk on the two dvd players and it worked beautifully. The menus worked as they should and the video quality was not much less then the original tapes. :)

You didn't need Nero to do that, you could have used Video Copy and Convert or Creator Classic. You would have select HQ and then burned it to an Image file or to a folder set. The application would have compressed the file or the folder set to fit on a standard disc.

You didn't need Nero to do that, you could have used Video Copy and Convert or Creator Classic. You would have select HQ and then burned it to an Image file or to a folder set. The application would have compressed the file or the folder set to fit on a standard disc.

Thank you, that worked also. However, it doesn't explain why burning in less then the HQ setting in MY DVD fouls up the menu structure. :unsure:

Thank you, that worked also. However, it doesn't explain why burning in less then the HQ setting in MY DVD fouls up the menu structure. :unsure:

Combination of cheap media, player and low encoder rates…

By 'cheap media' I am referring to no-names store brands etc…

Roxio's VCC will recompress only the amount needed to fit a disc.

While I have not tested recently, as everyone know the VCC trick ;), MyDVD jumps settings abruptly.

And lastly, some Players are sensitive to things like encoder rates and media while others will play anything you can get the tray to close on. :D

But we also see many cases where a user ignores warnings, like 'Menu is Full' or doesn't realize his favorite font & color lacks contrast.

Combination of cheap media, player and low encoder rates…

By 'cheap media' I am referring to no-names store brands etc…

Roxio's VCC will recompress only the amount needed to fit a disc.

While I have not tested recently, as everyone know the VCC trick ;), MyDVD jumps settings abruptly.

And lastly, some Players are sensitive to things like encoder rates and media while others will play anything you can get the tray to close on. :D

But we also see many cases where a user ignores warnings, like 'Menu is Full' or doesn't realize his favorite font & color lacks contrast.

I understand what you're saying except for "MyDVD jumps settings abruptly." Is this what causes the menu tree to be corrupted when burning a file that is less then HQ directly from My DVD? Also, why the assumption that "everyone know the VCC trick?" :huh:

Thanks for your input, I really enjoy your posts. :)

I understand what you're saying except for "MyDVD jumps settings abruptly." Is this what causes the menu tree to be corrupted when burning a file that is less then HQ directly from My DVD? Also, why the assumption that "everyone know the VCC trick?" :huh:

Thanks for your input, I really enjoy your posts. :)

I say that we think 'everybody knows', because we have been taunting that particular trick since EMC 7 (2004)…

The divisions between HQ and SP are 720 X 480 @ 9 mbps to 352 X 240 @ 6 mbps…

Combine the drastic drop of 3 mbps with lower quality media and a well used Player and you have troubles.

This takes place as soon as MyDVD estimates the project exceeds 1:06 in time when you have Fit to Disc selected.

Now I have not run any extensive testing lately and it is rare for anything that doesn't say Verbatim to be found in my house…

Likewise I don't exceed 1 hour on a DVD and see no point in lengthy complex menus – I insert a DVD to watch it not play Button Pinball :lol: