What does the prohibition symbol (circle with back slash) mean on a show?

Stunet

Question

3 answers to this question

In my Tivo Transfer list there are certain shows that have a "Prohibition Symbol" to the left of the title. What does that mean? Is there a some sort of copy protection present or is this something else?

It means that the copy protection flag has been set on the recording. I've seen this back on Series 2 boxes when I imported a video tape that had Macrovision protection -- or on Series 3 boxes when the recording was made from a premium channel.

Assuming you're seeing this on a Series 3 or TiVoHD, the provider has set the copy protection flag on the signal. It should NEVER be set for channels that are also broadcast (like the major networks), but there have been cases where some cable operators have inadvertently set it on everything. When this has happened, it can be cleared up with a phone call to the cable operator -- but it can be a bit of a challenge to get to the right person.

- Bob

I have the same problem. I can understand if a series were copy protected. But in my case it is totally random. Within a series there will be some that are prohibited and others that aren't. A case in point is the Chelsea Lately show. I have over 50 of them on my Tivo and about 75% have the copy protection. The new show Caprica on the SyFy network has copy protection on 3 of the 5 shows I have recorded. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Is it possible that I have a problem with my Tivo or its preference files on my Mac?

Any help is appreciated.

I have the same problem. I can understand if a series were copy protected. But in my case it is totally random. Within a series there will be some that are prohibited and others that aren't. A case in point is the Chelsea Lately show. I have over 50 of them on my Tivo and about 75% have the copy protection. The new show Caprica on the SyFy network has copy protection on 3 of the 5 shows I have recorded. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Is it possible that I have a problem with my Tivo or its preference files on my Mac?

Any help is appreciated.

Ric -- are you using a Series 2 with a cable box? If you are, try power cycling the cable box. If you have a Series 3 instead, you may need to contact your cable provider -- as it would seem that they seem to be experimenting with the copy protection flag. With a digital cable signal, the Series 3 takes the digital stream directly from the cable -- and takes in the status of the copy protection flag that's part of the stream.

- Bob