spock999

Visual C++ runtime error

Question

Having installed Media Creator 8 - following a complete reinstall of Windows XP pro (due to a disc problem) - I get a runtime error on startup.

"Program: ....es\Common Files\Roxio Shared\COM8\RoxWatchTray.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for details"

Afterwards when I use some applications I keep getting windows installer come up to try to Reinstall Media Creator 8. Of course it doesn't help as it wants to do it again next time.

Any ideas as it is very frustrating. It all worked OK before but then it had been installed for a long time and the various updates to the system had happened over a period of time.

8 answers to this question

Having installed Media Creator 8 - following a complete reinstall of Windows XP pro (due to a disc problem) - I get a runtime error on startup.

"Program: ....es\Common Files\Roxio Shared\COM8\RoxWatchTray.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for details"

Afterwards when I use some applications I keep getting windows installer come up to try to Reinstall Media Creator 8. Of course it doesn't help as it wants to do it again next time.

Any ideas as it is very frustrating. It all worked OK before but then it had been installed for a long time and the various updates to the system had happened over a period of time.

Start up of the computer or of the program or one of the applications? Here are the potential fixes for each of these .

Start up of the computer or of the program or one of the applications? Here are the potential fixes for each of these .

Well that made it worse. The runtime error has gone but I now get the reinstall request every time I start the computer.

I am afraid that is the end for Media Creator 8. If I can't solve the problem without the draconian measures given for clean reinstall, then I am not going to do it. I had all sorts of issues after the last time I followed a manufacturers instructions to do this and it is just not worth it.

Edited by spock999

Well that made it worse. The runtime error has gone but I now get the reinstall request every time I start the computer.

I am afraid that is the end for Media Creator 8. If I can't solve the problem without the draconian measures given for clean reinstall, then I am not going to do it. I had all sorts of issues after the last time I followed a manufacturers instructions to do this and it is just not worth it.

What specifically made it worse. We don't know which solution you tried that failed. And the next question would be, did you try to "undo" what you did? And if so, with what result?

Thanks.

What specifically made it worse. We don't know which solution you tried that failed. And the next question would be, did you try to "undo" what you did? And if so, with what result?

Thanks.

Sorry. It just annoys me so much!

I followed the link. The first item describes the first problem (Runtime error on start up). I tried the msconfig and disabled RoxWatchTray - CommonSDK was not present. RoxHardDrive Watcher was not present on the services tab. Clicked OK.

This has stopped the runtime error but increased the frequency with which the installer pops up. I have not tried to put it back to where I was.

The next stage is the clean install and I have no intentions of playing with msconfig any more and especially not editting the registry.

I am not a techie and don't understand what I am doing. From previous experience, I just have no trust in the instructions posted by manufacturers when they involve doing this sort of thing.

Sorry. It just annoys me so much!

I followed the link. The first item describes the first problem (Runtime error on start up). I tried the msconfig and disabled RoxWatchTray - CommonSDK was not present. RoxHardDrive Watcher was not present on the services tab. Clicked OK.

This has stopped the runtime error but increased the frequency with which the installer pops up. I have not tried to put it back to where I was.

The next stage is the clean install and I have no intentions of playing with msconfig any more and especially not editting the registry.

I am not a techie and don't understand what I am doing. From previous experience, I just have no trust in the instructions posted by manufacturers when they involve doing this sort of thing.

I can quite understand not wanting to delve into the registry stuff. As a point of reference, the "clean install" instructions here have been around quite awhile, so they're fairly well tested out. It's unfortunate that the EMC 8 installation can be broken fairly readily either by other applications (registry cleaners are a good one for that) or seemingly "randomly". Of course, I find it useful to go through the exercise of doing a clean Windows re-install every so often too. I don't have a better solution for you, unfortunately. I did think it might be useful for us users to know what you'd done that had aggravated the installer.

Good luck with whatever path forward you find.

And even doing what little I did has mucked up Norton and one other application - both of which started up at runtime.

You cannot afford to follow these instructions if you don't understand what you are doing.

And even doing what little I did has mucked up Norton and one other application - both of which started up at runtime.

You cannot afford to follow these instructions if you don't understand what you are doing.

It's also terribly useful (and recommended) to have a recent backup of your HD on hand for adventures like this too.

Try using Revo Uninstaller to uninstall EMC 8. Use the Moderate mode. I and others have used it successfully without screwing up their computers. Before you reinstall make sure you have followed these suggestions.