ROXIO Frozen after 4 hours of work!

marynabors

Question

I am sorry to keep posting issues on this board. For the love of God man, I don't know what to do.

4 Hours of work on this slide show...I hit "done" in StoryBoard, which took me to main page where I went to hit 'save' and nothing happens except the annoying sound of an error from my computer. I don't want to shut down for fear of losing my work...Could it just be overloaded with memory? I am miserable. Any advice?

6 answers to this question

I am sorry to keep posting issues on this board. For the love of God man, I don't know what to do.

4 Hours of work on this slide show...I hit "done" in StoryBoard, which took me to main page where I went to hit 'save' and nothing happens except the annoying sound of an error from my computer. I don't want to shut down for fear of losing my work...Could it just be overloaded with memory? I am miserable. Any advice?

Some info on your system would be helpful. What is the error message?

In addition to what Paul asked, what did you do that required you to hit "done" after 4 hours of work?????????????

I'm not 100% sure about this but several times when I had a production about done and couldn't find a way to save it (not 4 hours worth however) I just "x'ed" out of it and I got a screen that advised I have made some changes and wanted to know if I wanted to save. After clicking on YES, and later going back my production was O.K. I'm certainly not advising you to try this but it did work for me a couple of times.

Stay safe and save your productions every 5 minutes or so like sisterscape suggested. You will not be sorry !!

Guest mlpasley
...Could it just be overloaded with memory? I am miserable. Any advice?

I think you're right and it's overloaded memory. Hopefully, it'll allow you to save it when you hit the x, but I wouldn't count on it.

The good news is.... it's easier to do the second time.

NEXT TIME: Don't do your slideshow in StoryBoard.

OPEN VIDEOWAVE and make the production in that program. It's really the same program, but while Storyboard freezes, VideoWave doesn't seem to do that.

ALSO, save two copies ( different names) of the production and alternate between them as you save frequently.

I'm sorry you're having problems because I've been there myself.

vid2man97,

You really need to be building your productions in VideoWave.

Storyboard has a history of 'locking up' the applications. (For others who may be reading this..... when you build a production in DVD Builder and click Advanced Edit, Storyboard is the application that opens.) The edits are actually saved to a file in a temporary directory. I have a suspicion that the freezing has something to do with your RAM memory since a longer production with more advanced edits tends to freeze more often than a small production.

I stopped using Storyboard long ago.

1. A better way is to start your production in VideoWave. Do your editing in that program. Then burn the production with DVD Builder.

Now if you're in DVD Builder and discover that you need to make a lot of editing changes, quit DVD Builder and reopen you VideoWave project.

When you've completed your edits, save the production and exit VideoWave. Now reopen your DVD Builder project. The files are 'linked' so the edits you've made in VideoWave will automatically be in your DVD Builder project.

2. If you started that project in DVD Builder, you can get it into VideoWave by doing an Advanced Edit and making a small change and hitting Done (hopefully, it won't freeze). Then DO NOT CLOSE the DVD Builder project. Do a Windows/ Start / Search and look for your DVD Builder production file name in Advanced Search, look in hidden folders and subfolders. It will be a in a c:\Documents and Settings\ Owner\ Local Settings\ Temp. Double click on it and it will open in VideoWave. Do an immediate File\ Save project as.... and the file will be saved in VideoWave. This file won't be linked to your original DVD Builder project, so you'll have to delete the original file on the menu and add the VideoWave file.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope it helps. If I wasn't clear, please ask.

................................................................................

I (and many others) have had very similar problems to you. Some people have had success getting the program to settle down and others (like myself) haven't. This solution will work and while hopefully you've been able to rescue your present project, follow these instructions and you won't have to worry about any more hangs, crashes, lost hours or headaches in the future.

OK...So here above are the well detailed instructions that ml gave me a while back to add to his reply to you earlier.

Archived