Out of sequence

boongsong

Question

Hooray!!! After about 3 weeks, and lots of dvds, I finally figured out how to complete a production. Came out pretty good exceept for one major flaw. All of the clips (approx 40) were totally out of sequence of the way they were recorded.

Silly me!!! Thinking that when I imported the clips they would be in the correct sequence. Imagine!! Scenes with kids eating birthday cake etc. 10-15 minutes before clip showing the cake being cut. And, background scenes showing night time 10-15 minutes before daylight scenes, etc. How disappointed I was after watching it to completion. A total embarrassment when my Nephew saw this video of his daughters 1st birthday party.

Now, guru's, tell me what I did wrong. I'm using Win 7, imported from files on hd to EDit(advanced), and got them all into the editor pane, inserted the transitiions, exported to MyDVD after exporting to Make DVD. It took about 5hrs to complete. Great video except for the sequence in which the clips were set-up.

Guess it's my fault for expecting Creator to recognize/import the correct sequence. But no problem, I'll get it figured out even if it takes me another 3 weeks.

11 answers to this question

Hooray!!! After about 3 weeks, and lots of dvds, I finally figured out how to complete a production. Came out pretty good exceept for one major flaw. All of the clips (approx 40) were totally out of sequence of the way they were recorded.

Silly me!!! Thinking that when I imported the clips they would be in the correct sequence. Imagine!! Scenes with kids eating birthday cake etc. 10-15 minutes before clip showing the cake being cut. And, background scenes showing night time 10-15 minutes before daylight scenes, etc. How disappointed I was after watching it to completion. A total embarrassment when my Nephew saw this video of his daughters 1st birthday party.

Now, guru's, tell me what I did wrong. I'm using Win 7, imported from files on hd to EDit(advanced), and got them all into the editor pane, inserted the transitiions, exported to MyDVD after exporting to Make DVD. It took about 5hrs to complete. Great video except for the sequence in which the clips were set-up.

Guess it's my fault for expecting Creator to recognize/import the correct sequence. But no problem, I'll get it figured out even if it takes me another 3 weeks.

I don't think anybody can tell you what you did wrong since you have not told us how you added the clips to the timeline/storyline. The clips will always appear in the order you add them. C2010 does not rearrange the clips. How is C2010 even supposed to know the correct sequence?

Looking in windows at the folder, how are the clips identified? Name only, number and name, name and number, other?

Did you add all the clips at one time using Shift-Enter? If you viewed the files in the folder selecting details, were they added in that order? Did you use Shift-CTRL to select the clips? In what order did you select them.

Why didn't you preview the project when you added the transitions? If you are in Edit Video-Advanced, hold the cursor over the block that represents the clip and there will be a small pop up window with the name of the clip. I just confirmed it.

Hummmm, he might be on to something :glare:

Using Media Selector, I added these in a Ctrl-Click sequence, but they were still added based strictly on File Name Sequence:

post-39730-1265216023.jpg

post-39730-1265216031.jpg

Another test resulted in the same thing and another, using still pics, showed the same result. Also tried Windows Explorer – same.

I'm baffled! :huh:

Hummmm, he might be on to something :glare:

Using Media Selector, I added these in a Ctrl-Click sequence, but they were still added based strictly on File Name Sequence:

post-39730-1265216023.jpg

post-39730-1265216031.jpg

Another test resulted in the same thing and another, using still pics, showed the same result. Also tried Windows Explorer – same.

I'm baffled! :huh:

It seems the OP is correct. I have never come across this. :rolleyes:

I just fooled around with adding photos. It seems that the photos are added according to the sequence they are shown in the Media Selector window. The order you select them is totally ignored.

If not a bug then it certainly is very poor design.

It seems the OP is correct. I have never come across this. :rolleyes:

I just fooled around with adding photos. It seems that the photos are added according to the sequence they are shown in the Media Selector window. The order you select them is totally ignored.

If not a bug then it certainly is very poor design.

Creator 2009 is the same way, tested it on XP…

Anybody got EMC 10 :lol:

It looks as if the 'mp3 solution' is all that's left - number the files '001photo, 002photo...'

We've had to do that with mp3 files and now it looks as if we're going to have to do it with .jpgs as well - bummer :(

Naming is irrelevant - its the sequence of how they are displayed in the selection window