• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Upgrading to Creator 2010, remove OEM Roxio version first?

mackado

Question

New Dell XPS 9000/Win7 system includes Roxio's 'Easy CD and DVD burning DE home" software, and as I suspected a quick look under the hood revealed serious limitations, so later today I'll be picking up Roxio 2010 at a local retail shop.

I read the instructions available in this forum on how to install this latest version when replacing other versions of Roxio, but i'm not sure if I need to follow the same instructions when upgrading to Roxio 2010 from this OEM version..since I assume this OEM versionis is Win7 compatible.

Do I need to follow the same instructions and remove/clean everything or just upgrade to Roxio 2010 over the OEM version?

6 answers to this question

Your Easy CD and DVD Burning DE is a variant of Easy Media Creator 10 [EMC 10] I believe.

I would suggest you use the uninstall part of the Vista/Win 7 "clean uninstall" routine for EMC 10 here and then install Creator 2010.

Thanks Brendon, I followed the instructions and the install went through without any issues, only minor problem was with MS Cleanup utility , apparently it is not compatible with Win7 as it refused to install, generating an error, but it was not really needed, as the "add/Remove program" worked flawlessly.

Also had to manually removed all traces from the registry as instructed.

During the install the 'status' reported the installation of some ''modules" (?) under the 'Creator 2009' heading, and for a moment there I worry someone inserted the wrong version on the disc, but maybe some features in this suite of programs may be leftovers from the previous version ? I don't know.

in any case after registration I was prompted to install 'service pack 2" and everything tested so far seems to be working fine.

I'm not up to speed with Win7 yet, but from what I've read (and noticed so far in this System) 32 bit programs are listed under the C:/program files (x86) folder and 64bit software under C:/Program files.. Roxio installed everything under the 'programs files(x86)' directory creating Roxio and Roxio 2010 directories there, and only one .dll file under the C:/Program files/Roxio 2010/ virtual drive 10/

I want to make sure everything was installed correctly and working at full potential ..

Is this the standard way Roxio installs Creator 2010 on all Win7 system?

Do you know if Roxio 2010 is a 32 or 64 bit program? How/where do I check this?

Hello Mackado,

I believe that with each version there are large areas of code which come from previous versions, and often these areas have not been renamed. I think it is the belief of Sonic programmers that users should not be poking around in the bowels of their software, but that belief is unreasonable given that they require users to delve around in the depths of the registry just to install the software.

Is this the standard way Roxio installs Creator 2010 on all Win7 system?

I don't know, since I don't run a 64-bit system. However that seems to be what happened in my 32-bit machine.

Do you know if Roxio 2010 is a 32 or 64 bit program? How/where do I check this?

I don't know, however it is supposed to work on both 32 and 64 bit systems. I suppose you could install it on a 64-bit system and see which modules go where, but I can't help you with that myself, as above. :)

Regards,

Brendon

A lot of '64 bit compatable' do the double install. The main parts of the program go into the x86 (32 bit) folder but the true 64 bit parts go into Program Files.

This is normal (I believe the virtual drive requires a separate dll for 64 but functioning)

Hello Mackado,

I don't know, however it is supposed to work on both 32 and 64 bit systems. I suppose you could install it on a 64-bit system and see which modules go where, but I can't help you with that myself, as above. :)

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Brendon, my version of Win7 Home premium is running as a 64bit operating system. This is why Roxio Creator 2010 installation is confusing to me.

But most likely this is normal behavior for Win7,(as posted below)but as you said, I'm just poking around to familiarize myself with how things work in this new Win7 platform.

A lot of '64 bit compatable' do the double install. The main parts of the program go into the x86 (32 bit) folder but the true 64 bit parts go into Program Files.

This is normal (I believe the virtual drive requires a separate dll for 64 but functioning)

Thanks gi7omy, I see that you're running Creator 2010 on a win7 system, good to hear that your installation is similar to mine.

Yes the DC_shellext64.dll file was installed under the c:/programs file/virtual Drive 10/ folder, everything else under the (x86) folder, I guess this file is all Roxio 2010 needs to run at 64bit ?

I don't know exactly, but I guess I'll let 'good enough' along for now and use my time to test the rest of Creator's features.

Thanks for the replies,

I'll be keeping an eye around here in case someone has any extra info on the issue. :)

Edited by mackado

Although I have not been posting much within this forum and I certainly do not consider myself a Roxio User Guru by far and wide, I have been using the product(s) for many years, starting way back with version 3 still under different ownership, purchasing every version since and 'ending up' at this time with Creator 2010 pro.

Having been exposed and tried out several other programs, such as from Adobe, Ulead and Final Cut Pro on Macs, I always 'come back' to Roxio's Creator Series because of it's friendly interface, versatility and ease of use. I wished it would offer a couple more Video Tracks and had the ability to 'track objects with an overlay', but maybe this is something coming up in future versions.

Over the years I learned mostly by trial and error along with very helpful information from this forum and other users. As a local computer-tech I also work with, set up and give a hand with Roxio installations and use.

This is why I would like to share my experiences as to compatibility and installation:

I do Beta Testing with Windows OS and ran Roxio's Creator 2009 in Windows7(ultimate) Beta and RC without a hitch. Later purchased Windows7 Pro (running on two computers, one a double, one a quad, both I built myself) and again, no problems with Roxio, until...I installed 2010. Found out, with the help of a real Guru from this forum, that the problem was based on a 'bad' new Nvidia graphics card driver. Changed graphics card and all is good.

The reason I am mentioning this is that one should not quickly fault a certain software, be it Roxio or the OS, when something does not work as expected, as so many computer components have to work together and therefore all possible causes for issues have to be looked into and checked out.

Windows7 as such is really a very good OS, the best Microsoft has created ever, and it works well with countless older software, not to mention the new ones that have already been deemed compatible with Vista and now with Windows 7. Hence, if one experiences problems - I suggest to trouble-shoot an array of other options before giving up on either Windows 7 or Roxio's 2010.

I also would like to add that one has to be VERY careful when uninstalling/removing older Roxio versions, no matter which ones, complete Creators or just the very basic burning software pre-installed in some brand-name computers. If not done right and certain files are left behind, those can prevent the correct installations of same or similar Roxio software.

Therefore I now never uninstall the pre-installed Roxio-Sonic software when 'upgrading' to full Creator Versions, which seems to work quite well...at least no leftovers to cause endless frustration as so often before.

Hopefully, my experiences will help other Roxio-users, such as those of others have helped me more often than I can count. :)