• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Does a .wmv Drag into Videowave Work?

lowellgeneral

Question

I'm under the impression that you can output a .dmsm to a .wmv then drag the .wmv file into Videowave and save it as a .dmsm file. It will then burn quicker.

I'm having a problem, however. When I play DVDs I've done this way back, the menu is fine, but the actual program content looks like its on fast forward & no audio.

So I'm now left to wonder is it the burner, or is it the .wmv file format?

I'm using EMC 7 with a patch at work-- have for years and have never had a problem until now. Yeah yeah, upgrade upgrade, but I have EMC 10 at home for personal use & don't like it as much...

Can anyone help?

11 answers to this question

I'm under the impression that you can output a .dmsm to a .wmv then drag the .wmv file into Videowave and save it as a .dmsm file. It will then burn quicker.

I'm having a problem, however. When I play DVDs I've done this way back, the menu is fine, but the actual program content looks like its on fast forward & no audio.

So I'm now left to wonder is it the burner, or is it the .wmv file format?

I'm using EMC 7 with a patch at work-- have for years and have never had a problem until now. Yeah yeah, upgrade upgrade, but I have EMC 10 at home for personal use & don't like it as much...

Can anyone help?

First of all you posted in the Roxio Creator 2009 forum which you do not even have. So your post will be moved to the EMC 7 forum. You also say you use EMC 10. Hopefully you are not trying to use EMC 7 projects in EMC 10 since they will not work.

I don't know where you got your "impression" about dmsm to wmv to dmsm but it is total nonsense.

A dmsm file is not a video file but simply a list of the source files in your project (video, audio, photos), what editing is applied to the files, what transitions you are using, etc. It contains absolutely no video. There is absolutely no need to output to a wmv file if you want to create a video DVD. If you were to do that you will most likely loss quality in converting to wmv format. When you finally do burn to a video DVD the wmv will have to be converted again to DVD compliant format (which is mpeg2) and you will again lose quality. So you see , that conversion to wmv is not necessary and a really poor idea.

Once you have the Videowave project file saved, exit Videowave and launch DVD Builder (for EMC 7.5). The using Add Movie, add the dmsm project, create your menu and then burn.

First of all you posted in the Roxio Creator 2009 forum which you do not even have. So your post will be moved to the EMC 7 forum.

>>I did not see an EMC 7 forum. I have not logged on in a long time & EMC 7 is no longer supported. I assumed the forum had been removed. Apologies.

You also say you use EMC 10. Hopefully you are not trying to use EMC 7 projects in EMC 10 since they will not work.

>>No, I am not.

I don't know where you got your "impression" about dmsm to wmv to dmsm but it is total nonsense.

>>I got the impression because I tried it & when you do it, you can see and play the video just fine while you are in Videowave.

There is absolutely no need to output to a wmv file if you want to create a video DVD.

>>Yes, there is, actually., I "have a need for speed." It takes me 4+ hours to burn a singular DVD, and I as I produce 2 or sometimes as many as five 1 hour productions per week with full edits, I can't keep up with the workload. I convert the .dmsm files to .wmv for Internet upload. Right now, that is the preferred format. Given that I was able to drag the .wmv files into the production similarly to .avi files, I wondered if it might make for a faster burn. It did-- 1/4 of the usual time.

If you were to do that you will most likely loss quality in converting to wmv format.

>>I know.

When you finally do burn to a video DVD the wmv will have to be converted again to DVD compliant format (which is mpeg2) and you will again lose quality. So you see , that conversion to wmv is not necessary and a really poor idea.

Once you have the Videowave project file saved, exit Videowave and launch DVD Builder (for EMC 7.5). The using Add Movie, add the dmsm project, create your menu and then burn.

>>Sorry, you've lost me here.

>>I got the impression because I tried it & when you do it, you can see and play the video just fine while you are in Videowave.

There is absolutely no need to output to a wmv file if you want to create a video DVD.

>>Yes, there is, actually., I "have a need for speed." It takes me 4+ hours to burn a singular DVD, and I as I produce 2 or sometimes as many as five 1 hour productions per week with full edits, I can't keep up with the workload. I convert the .dmsm files to .wmv for Internet upload. Right now, that is the preferred format. Given that I was able to drag the .wmv files into the production similarly to .avi files, I wondered if it might make for a faster burn. It did-- 1/4 of the usual time.

I am sorry but I don't understand what you are really trying to accomplish. At one point you say you want to burn a DVD and then you also want to upload to the web. The one has nothing to do with the other.

PLease explain exactly what it is you want to do.

Every time I produce a video, I output to a .wmv file.

I also burn a DVD.

In other words, I create the same production in two formats. One for Internet upload, and one that can be handed around to the technophobes and those who prefer to watch on TV rather than the web.

I creeate the .wmv first.

At one point I wondered if I could drag the .wmv into Videowave. Smaller file size, faster burn to DVD. Quality is not a huge problem.

It is possible. It does seem to work. It also seems to play fine while in Videowave.

However the burn results in a perfect Roxio menu and a problematic program.

To cut down on DVD burn time, I have tried outputting the .dmsm file to an .avi file but this takes as long as burning a DVD (three+ hours). I need a *fast* method of burning to DVD. Perhaps there isn't one.

Times are tough. I'm unlikely to get any new equipment any time soon at work. All suggestions appreciated.

Edited by lowellgeneral

Every time I produce a video, I output to a .wmv file.

I also burn a DVD.

In other words, I create the same production in two formats. One for Internet upload, and one that can be handed around to the technophobes and those who prefer to watch on TV rather than the web.

I creeate the .wmv first.

At one point I wondered if I could drag the .wmv into Videowave. Smaller file size, faster burn to DVD. Quality is not a huge problem.

It is possible. It does seem to work. It also seems to play fine while in Videowave.

To cut down on DVD burn time, I have tried outputting the .dmsm file to an .avi file but this takes as long as burning a DVD (three+ hours). I need a *fast* method of burning to DVD. Perhaps there isn't one.

Times are tough. I'm unlikely to get any new equipment any time soon at work.

I am having a lot of diffuculty trying to understand your posts.

File size has nothing to do with burning to a video DVD. A standard video DVD can hold 60 minutes of video if you burn at best quality. If your video project is longer you can get more on the DVD but will have reduce quality. To create a DVD takes a long time; it is not the burning that requires the time but the rendering (or encoding) of the video to a DVD compliant format. Wmv and avi are not DVD compliant formats and have to be encoded to the correct format. To encode 60 minutes of video can take from 1 to 4 or more hours depending on your system.

To create a video DVD that you can view on a TV via a DVD player, the DVD has to be created to a certain format and using a special program. You cannot simply burn a wmv or avi file to a DVD. You are doing all sorts of unnecessary conversion if you want to create the DVD. There is no need to first create a wmv file if you want to burn to DVD. You are just wasting time and losing lots of quality.

To create the video DVD you do not need to output first to a wmv file or avi file. Simply save your Videowave project file to a dmsm file using the "Save As" option. Exit Videowave and launch DVD Builder, add the just saved dmsm project file, create the menu and burn. This will take several hours.

I don't understand what the sentences below is supposed to mean:

I think he means he gets a good menu but can't play the video. I don't think he still understands that the video has to be in the mpg2 format for any TV connected DVD player to play it.

Let's start at the beginning. Where are you getting the original video files and in what format do you have them on your computer?

Doesn't the subject line say it all?

Does a drag of a .wmv file into Videowave work? Or not?

<snip>

Part of your post sounds like you are trying to make a DVD (in which case the comments by sknis and myguggi apply) and part of your post sounds like you are trying to make a Data DVD with a .wmv file on it.

Those are two very different scenarios, and therefore two very different answers.

Lynn

If yes, why am I having issues?

If not, why not?

PS I am not male and I resent the assumption.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "drag of a .wmv file into Videowave" unless you mean dragging the file from a Windows Explorer window into the timeline or storyline. To that, the answer is yes.

Yes, Videowave in EMC 7/7.5 will accept .wmv files as source input.

If yes, why am I having issues?

If not, why not?

PS I am not male and I resent the assumption.

I apologize for my unintentional sexist comment. :huh:

Getting any snow this weekend?

Edited by sknis