• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Zak57

Nero Photoshow Deluxe 5 kicked to the curb

Question

I purchased Nero Photoshow Deluxe version 5 along with six optional add-ons several years ago. I was thrilled with the ease of making slideshows with transitions and music in a matter of seconds! I was less interested in uploading my creation to Nero's website since I planned to burn them on DVD's and duplicate them and send them to relatives. I was never hip on paying an on-going fee or something to have some entity maintain my work.

After putting the program on the shelf for a time, I recently came back to it and had my slideshow created in seconds. I then proceeded to try to burn it to a DVD. No luck! I soon learned that Nero had jettisoned this program and the online rights evidentally had been sold to Roxio. Now, I read that I must pay a $39/year subscription fee to operate Roxio's version of this program!

I was happy using Nero Photoshow Deluxe version 5 for my own personal slideshow pursuits and never intended to become a source of on-going income to Nero by order coffee mugs with family pictures or paying them $29 to burn a slideshow DVD when I already was quite capable to burn it on my own computer.

Now, I am being forced to buy ANOTHER product which won't provide me any additional benefits other than enrich the pockets of a second software company. Can someone please explain to me why I can't be left alone using Nero Photoshow Deluxe version 5 and burning my own DVDs? Why is it necessary for the program to connect to the internet when I don't wish to upload my slideshow anyway?

If there is someone who understands all of this I would love to hear from you!

Thank you!

Zak57

12 answers to this question

Your post is illogical and you are missing something pretty obvious in your thinking.

Since you had used the program before to burn DVDs and not upload to the web, you should look at why you can't burn to DVD with the Nero software now. You do have a copy of the program on your computer- correct? It sounds like you have a problem with the software you own. Roxio would not have come into your computer and made changes. The burn to DVD was never a web based process. Look at what has changed on your computer. Have you updated any Windows software; perhaps an operating system change, a update to Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer? He you tried to do a repair or reinstall of the software?

Ask Nero why they sold the rights to the Photo Show. Actually it was a 3rd party developed software package that Ahead Software, Comcast and others used/sold. This is sort of like blaming Lenovo for computers that were originally sold by IBM and no longer work.

The $39 dollar version is to create and maintain a web site where your friends could see your PhotoShows. It will also allow you to do DVDs. Perhaps one of these programs would be more to your liking and price range. No annual fees. You could also search Amazon or e-bay to get earlier versions of the software cheaper. If you are angry with Roxio/Sonic Solutions, perhaps Googling for one that meets your needs is something you can consider.

BTW, did you post this rant on the Nero users forum or look for software help there?

Here's my problem in a nutshell. When I want to burn to a DVD I get the following message...

"There is a problem activating this feature. We are unable to access the internet. Please make sure your internete connection is active and that you have adjusted your firewall settings to allow Photoshow Deluxe to access the internet, then try again. For more information click here ___."

That link directs me to Roxio and recommends I buy their product and has these words...

About DVD Burning

If you have previously burned a DVD in your Nero PhotoShow Deluxe software, you will be able to continue using this feature. However, if you have not previously burned a DVD, or are installing the software on a new computer or onto a new copy of Windows on the same computer, the DVD burning feature cannot be activated. In this case, we recommend using the Roxio PhotoShow 5 software. PhotoShow Premium users can choose to download PhotoShow 5 by following the instructions in the article How to re-download PhotoShow Desktop Software.

I paid extra to get a back-up copy of Nero Photoshow Deluxe ver. 5 along with all the extras. I originally had this program working on an older PC. That PC no longer exists. I re-installed this program on a new PC running Windows 7.

My problem is I don't understand why I can't simply burn a DVD like I had done successfully when I first got this program. If I am not using either Nero's or Roxio web service, then why is there this need to reactivate the DVD burning feature (which evidentally is no longer an option) when I am already a registered user of the software? I guess I'm just a little angry that I can no longer use a software I paid for because Nero has decided that I can't even though I paid my registration fee and even though they no longer support that product. I have old MS Office 2000 disks that work just fine on any computer and I don't think MS supports Office 2000.

It seems to me that Nero acted without good faith when they negotiated this deal with Roxio because if I want to continue using a PhotoShow product, I need to shell out some more money so it's a WIN for Nero and a WIN for Roxio but a LOSE for the consumer. If I have this all wrong, please help me understand it correctly anyone who is closer to this situation than I am.

Thank you!

Without knowing more, perhaps when the software was on the shelf, somethng deleted the activation file. It could have been a Windows Update, or a re-installation or ??? I feel for you but I doubt that there is anything that can be done.

What about other software to replacae your obsolete software.

Again, go to complain to Nero (Ahead Software). They sold you the product and they should be able to make an adjustment.

Edited by sknis

I had same problem. I am sure that everyone has. Now I have purchased Roxios photoshow 5 and it will not open just like the nero 5 did. This really sucks because I liked the product alot.

before getting pissy with someone you should know that he is being truthful about everything he said. We are just trying to get some help. I agree with him that the Nero 5 version was misleading. Who knew that burning your dvd's depended on you being connected.

Edited by wingman329

Not being hard assed, just stating the obvious. I never called the OP a liar or questioned what the OP said. I stated the facts and asked questions as I understand the issue and the information from Roxio. I understand your anger and frustration.

The OP upgraded the PC from something to W7 and now that old Nero software doesn't work. When you went from one Windows OS to the next (if you did). did all your programs and hardware work? There were a lot of people angry because manufacturers of older printers and other devices decided not to develop drivers for that hardware. I'm sure you have heard of software that will no longer work in W7. Unfortunately, that is the way American technology business operates today.

Wingman, it is better to start your own thread because much of what the OP said would be read as applying to you. Did you update operating systems? Have you read any of these to see if one applies? Have you contacted PhotoShow support here (look to the right). I have PhotoShow 5 and 6 both operating on my Vista Ultimate 64. I had contacted Tech Support in the past and they were very helpful. Note that you get a message about Live Chat or phone support not being available if all the lines are busy. I kn wo people who are running the programs on W7.

They are available 7 days a week so you may be able to get to them today (if you are in the US)

Edited by sknis

Not being hard assed, just stating the obvious. I never called the OP a liar or questioned what the OP said. I stated the facts and asked questions as I understand the issue and the information from Roxio. I understand your anger and frustration.

The OP upgraded the PC from something to W7 and now that old Nero software doesn't work. When you went from one Windows OS to the next (if you did). did all your programs and hardware work? There were a lot of people angry because manufacturers of older printers and other devices decided not to develop drivers for that hardware. I'm sure you have heard of software that will no longer work in W7. Unfortunately, that is the way American technology business operates today.

Wingman, it is better to start your own thread because much of what the OP said would be read as applying to you. Did you update operating systems? Have you read any of these to see if one applies? Have you contacted PhotoShow support here (look to the right). I have PhotoShow 5 and 6 both operating on my Vista Ultimate 64. I had contacted Tech Support in the past and they were very helpful. Note that you get a message about Live Chat or phone support not being available if all the lines are busy. I kn wo people who are running the programs on W7.

They are available 7 days a week so you may be able to get to them today (if you are in the US)

I tried to get some help from Nero but they basically told me they SOLD THE PROGRAM so they don't offer any support whatsoever!

I called Roxio and found them more helpful. The rep said she would RESET my license so it could be activated again. However when I went to burn a DVD I got the same response as before. She suggested I completely uninstall Nero PhotoShow Deluxe 5 and reinstall and try to burn again. I have uninstalled the program and will be installing it along with all the themes (6 or more) I purchased and then try to burn again. I will let you know soon if I have any success.

If after making sure firewall has an exception for the program and anti-virus isn't causing a program, if I can't burn than I guess I will have to give up unless anyone else can think of something else I can do.

I appreciate the suggestions all have made. Incidentally, when I bought the program I was running Windows XP. I had to reinstall it on another PC with Windows 7 and I didn't have any problem installing it or running it. It was the DVD burning process that simply wouldn't work.

It was the DVD burning process that simply wouldn't work.

Some people, including me have the issue and I know that Roxio is working to fix it.

Perhaps if you add your voice to mine, it would nudge them more. Go to this page and add a comment. A squeaking wheel gets the grease but several squeaking wheels may get the bearing design looked at.

Just to correct a misapprehension - Nero didn't own the original Photoshow and neither did Roxio - they both licensed it.

However, Sonic bought the company, which is why it's no longer available under Nero

Hei zak57,

I have the same issue with photoshow. It was installed and worked for 3-4 years on my PC, until recently.

I've re-installed it 6-7 times and I did it on 3 different computers just to double check, but it wouldn't even start. The page freezes as soon as the Photoshow is started. It worked perfect before and I hate to pay every year Roxio, for using a software that is mine. I don't need the Online "feature".

Did you find any fix?

Thanks,

Jedi_M

Edited by Jedi_m

There is no 'fix'

You have to understand you don't buy software, you buy a license to use it and, in your case, you paid Nero for the license.

Any problems on that should be addressed to whoever charged you for that license

There is no 'fix'

You have to understand you don't buy software, you buy a license to use it and, in your case, you paid Nero for the license.

Any problems on that should be addressed to whoever charged you for that license

Actually, you are right and you are wrong.

I understand that I own a "license" to use the solftware. I look at that as a contract between myself and the software company. I am able to use the software according to that contract. The software company is accepting a fee for my right to use the software. Roxio purchased those software rights and is now obligated to provide the same software benefits to licensed users. My right to use the software doesn't terminate because Nero decided for financial or other reasons to sell the software to Roxio. I have spoke to Roxio and they are making a good attempt to make this software work for me.

Nereo never owned the original software - they leased the rights from the original company, as did Sonic

Sonic bought that company, Nero is not licensed to use it any longer

Your grief is with Nero who sold you the license