• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Digitizing LP's

jrc1966

Question

I have been using Easy Media Creator 10 Suite for probably more than a year to convert LP's to digital. The program works great. I have a Benchmark ADC1 USB unit connected to the computer and the program and unit have been compatible and work great. I've just purchased Creator 2010 and when I log into the Digitizing LP's service, Roxio Creator 2010 tells me that it cannot recognize the Benchmark unit in the "Capture From" drop down. Additionally, the Digitizing LP's service doesn't have the "Input" drop down. I did not uninstall Easy Media Creator and it still recognizes my Benchmark unit. Any idea as to why Creator 2010 is not recognizing the Benchmark unit, while Easy Media Creator still recognizes the unit?

17 answers to this question

I've been using Easy Media Creator 10 to digitize my LP's. I've upgrade to Creator 2010. The Digitizing feature recognizes the unit that is connected to my computer, but I get an error message indicating that Creator cannot open the unit. As a result, the program will not allow me to digitize my LP.

Has this happened before. I find it strange as Easy Media Creator 10 worked fine with my recording unit.

Any help will be greatly appeciated.

:)

Are you working on a laptop with no line-in jack? If not, why are you using the USB device? Have you looked for the latest drivers for that unit?

Creator 2010 was designed with W7 in mind; perhaps there have been some changes in operation that necissitated the change in software and the USB recognition.

Are you working on a laptop with no line-in jack? If not, why are you using the USB device? Have you looked for the latest drivers for that unit?

Creator 2010 was designed with W7 in mind; perhaps there have been some changes in operation that necissitated the change in software and the USB recognition.

I am working on a desktop. I am using the UBS device as the Analpog to Digital converter I am using utilizes the USB port. Do you think using a line-in jack would work? Is it possible to connect a USB device to a line-in jack?

Any guidance is appreciated.

I am working on a desktop. I am using the UBS device as the Analpog to Digital converter I am using utilizes the USB port. Do you think using a line-in jack would work? Is it possible to connect a USB device to a line-in jack?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Your Sound Card/chip will do the A/D conversion for audio. No need for the USB device unless you have a very unusual set up. I record cassettes and LP (through a pre-amp) all the time. If you don't have an audio card, the chip will work but an audio card will be much better. Get an inexpensive one' you don't need anything special. Many users here are partial to Creative cards. Examples.. Make sure you have an available slot.

Open LP and Tape Assistant and you will see how to connect a cassette tape or LP deck to a sound card.

Your Sound Card/chip will do the A/D conversion for audio. No need for the USB device unless you have a very unusual set up. I record cassettes and LP (through a pre-amp) all the time. If you don't have an audio card, the chip will work but an audio card will be much better. Get an inexpensive one' you don't need anything special. Many users here are partial to Creative cards. Examples.. Make sure you have an available slot.

Open LP and Tape Assistant and you will see how to connect a cassette tape or LP deck to a sound card.

The unit I am using does a great job of providing a mix for the analog sound. I do have a sound card in the computer. I guess is it possible that Creator 2010 doesn't recognize the USB option? However, Easy Media 10 did recognize it and it worked wonderfully? Any other thoughts or am I out of luck with Creator 2010?

The unit I am using does a great job of providing a mix for the analog sound. I do have a sound card in the computer. I guess is it possible that Creator 2010 doesn't recognize the USB option? However, Easy Media 10 did recognize it and it worked wonderfully? Any other thoughts or am I out of luck with Creator 2010?

No it works quite well post-39730-1265662643.jpg

They're not using the Roxio device Jim.They're using a 3rd party USB capture device.

I just got home and tried the hook-up, and I do not get the result you indicated. Roxio Creator 2010 identifies my unit as "Microphone (Benchmark 2.0)" and I get the error message "Could not open sound device! (Microphone (Benchmark 2.0)".

I appreciate the help. However, any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated as this set-up worked with Easy Media Creator 10.

I know this is not a Roxio supported site, but i really would like to know if i need to find a different product to convert my LP's. Easy Media worked. I guess Roxio made some change to Creator 2010.

Again, any help will be appreciated.

Very desparate and disappointed.

Regarding post #3, the unit I have used with Easy MEdia was connected driectly to my computer via the USB port. I have a very good unit to mix the LP sound before it is processed through the computer. Easy MEdia recognized the unit and recorded the music. I don't know why Creator 2010 recognizes the unit, but can't open the unit.

I did not know there was a connection unit you indicated in your reply. Would that work to pick up sound only from LP's? I see it is intended for VHS capture, but will it work for LP's?

Thanks again. I really appreciate the patience.

I just took a closer look at the suggested product. I don;t think this is an option. The Benchmark unit I have connects to the computer with a USB, not a video jack. The unit suggested I think connects to the tape unit and then connects to the computer with the USB port. My issue is that the unit that I have connected from my preamp connects to the computer with a USB. I don't think I can connect my Benchmark unit to the Video Capture unit as these both use the USB port.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regarding post #3, the unit I have used with Easy MEdia was connected driectly to my computer via the USB port. I have a very good unit to mix the LP sound before it is processed through the computer. Easy MEdia recognized the unit and recorded the music. I don't know why Creator 2010 recognizes the unit, but can't open the unit.

I did not know there was a connection unit you indicated in your reply. Would that work to pick up sound only from LP's? I see it is intended for VHS capture, but will it work for LP's?

Thanks again. I really appreciate the patience.

I just took a closer look at the suggested product. I don;t think this is an option. The Benchmark unit I have connects to the computer with a USB, not a video jack. The unit suggested I think connects to the tape unit and then connects to the computer with the USB port. My issue is that the unit that I have connected from my preamp connects to the computer with a USB. I don't think I can connect my Benchmark unit to the Video Capture unit as these both use the USB port.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You might want to check for updated drivers for your Benchmark unit, that might help.

The suggestions above would not use your Benchmark USB unit. One suggestion was to go directly into your sound card and capture through that. The other was to use the Roxio USB Capture device instead of your Benchmark USB device. However, looking at the price, I would expect your Benchmark unit to do a better A/D conversion than the Roxio device.

How is your turntable connected to the Benchmark unit? I'm hoping there is a phono-preamp stage in there to do the RIAA equalization. If not, it doesn't appear to me that the Benchmark unit does that, and your recordings will sound a bit "off".

I expect your Benchmark unit came with some software to capture with? If so, you can always use that to do the initial capture, and then split out tracks using Sound Editor, or your favorite editor, and then use Creator 2010 with the resulting .WAV files to record to CD.

I usually use a mix of Roxio and non-Roxio applications for capturing and transferring my LPs to CD.

Let us know how you make out.

You might want to check for updated drivers for your Benchmark unit, that might help.

The suggestions above would not use your Benchmark USB unit. One suggestion was to go directly into your sound card and capture through that. The other was to use the Roxio USB Capture device instead of your Benchmark USB device. However, looking at the price, I would expect your Benchmark unit to do a better A/D conversion than the Roxio device.

How is your turntable connected to the Benchmark unit? I'm hoping there is a phono-preamp stage in there to do the RIAA equalization. If not, it doesn't appear to me that the Benchmark unit does that, and your recordings will sound a bit "off".

I expect your Benchmark unit came with some software to capture with? If so, you can always use that to do the initial capture, and then split out tracks using Sound Editor, or your favorite editor, and then use Creator 2010 with the resulting .WAV files to record to CD.

I usually use a mix of Roxio and non-Roxio applications for capturing and transferring my LPs to CD.

Let us know how you make out.

I am exploring options with Benchmark as well. The Benchmark unit actually didn't come with software, other than a recommendation to use Easy Media Creator! I am connected to the Benchmark through my preamplifier (VAC preamp with a Rega turntable). It is a sweet set-up. I am waiting to hear from Benchmark. They are supposedly testing Creator 2010 to see if they can replicate the same issue I have.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I hope I can find a solution soon!

I am exploring options with Benchmark as well. The Benchmark unit actually didn't come with software, other than a recommendation to use Easy Media Creator! I am connected to the Benchmark through my preamplifier (VAC preamp with a Rega turntable). It is a sweet set-up. I am waiting to hear from Benchmark. They are supposedly testing Creator 2010 to see if they can replicate the same issue I have.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I hope I can find a solution soon!

As I said, verify the Benchmark settings for sample size and rate. Yes, sounds like a very nice setup!

Here's another suggestion, try CDWAVE for capturing and see if it recognizes your Benchmark unit. Free to try the full version, well worth the asked registration fee.

As I said, verify the Benchmark settings for sample size and rate. Yes, sounds like a very nice setup!

Here's another suggestion, try CDWAVE for capturing and see if it recognizes your Benchmark unit. Free to try the full version, well worth the asked registration fee.

I tried CDWave on a test basis, and it recognized the Benchmark and I was then able to use Roxio's Sound Editor. Great suggestion! It is not as user friendly as Roxio, but it is a solution and I appreciate the recommendation.

I still have to work on the bit rate. That may be the issue.

One quick question regarding CDWave. If you have used it, can you tell me how to adjust the recording level? I can't seem to figure that out? Volume adjustment was very easy with Roxio.

Again, thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

I tried CDWave on a test basis, and it recognized the Benchmark and I was then able to use Roxio's Sound Editor. Great suggestion! It is not as user friendly as Roxio, but it is a solution and I appreciate the recommendation.

I still have to work on the bit rate. That may be the issue.

One quick question regarding CDWave. If you have used it, can you tell me how to adjust the recording level? I can't seem to figure that out? Volume adjustment was very easy with Roxio.

Again, thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

For volume control, use the Mixer application in Windows. It usually looks like a small "speaker" icon in the system tray. Double click on it, and then go to Options -> Properties, and select the "Recording" button. Make sure you're displaying the Line-in or Aux controls, and use those. I've found that in most cases, clicking and dragging is a fairly coarse adjustment, but once you've clicked on the control, use the up and down arrows for fine adjustment.

Personally, I use CDWAVE for most of my capturing. Very easy to use it to split out individual tracks, and it also automatically puts the splits on CD block boundaries so there aren't any silent "blips" between tracks in live recordings.

Hope that helps!