• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Slow Performance - Many Lockups and Crashes

azjarhead

Question

I'm a newbe to EMC 8. But I had a very frustrating weekend. While trying to build a DVD project EMC 8 from video files captured from my HI-8 video recorder, I experienced 4 problems.

1. Extremely slow performance.

2. 4 program lock-ups

3. 4 program crashes

4. Error dialog box w/ no discription of error. Result was corrupted project file that was unusable (wouldn't burn to DVD).

5. Navigation menus don't display on burned DVD. Spent many hours building, labeling and fixing thumbnails and the menus aren't displayed when DVD is played (both on computer or set top DVD player).

I ran the system moniter to watch system resources while using EMC 8 and many times the memory was pegged at 100% for several minutes. Other system resources were heavily used too. I was wondering what the minimum resources that are needed to successfully use EMC 8 (memory, disk space, swap space, processor speed, other configuartion settings????).

Also, I was working with very large video files. Start w/ file over 6 GB. Trimmed it to 5 - 1.2 GB files to try to improve performance. Didn't help much. Should I try smaller files?

What else might I be doing wrong.

5 answers to this question

I have the same computer. I am unable to edit a full length movie with Roxio due to performance issues. I can easilt edit the same movie with Ulead Video Studio. I'm sure you can download a trial version and see if it's better for you as well.

Phil

I'm a newbe to EMC 8. But I had a very frustrating weekend. While trying to build a DVD project EMC 8 from video files captured from my HI-8 video recorder, I experienced 4 problems.

2. 4 program lock-ups

3. 4 program crashes

4. Error dialog box w/ no discription of error. Result was corrupted project file that was unusable (wouldn't burn to DVD).

5. Navigation menus don't display on burned DVD. Spent many hours building, labeling and fixing thumbnails and the menus aren't displayed when DVD is played (both on computer or set top DVD player).

I ran the system moniter to watch system resources while using EMC 8 and many times the memory was pegged at 100% for several minutes. Other system resources were heavily used too. I was wondering what the minimum resources that are needed to successfully use EMC 8 (memory, disk space, swap space, processor speed, other configuartion settings????).

Also, I was working with very large video files. Start w/ file over 6 GB. Trimmed it to 5 - 1.2 GB files to try to improve performance. Didn't help much. Should I try smaller files?

2. 4 program lock-ups

3. 4 program crashes

First, here are the system requirements for EMC8 Deluxe (they are the same for the Suite except for the Dazzle Device).

Now, how do your systems specs compare? Post them here and someone maybe able to spot a problem. Also, upated video, sound drivers and updated directx are required.

Finally, what format are those video files? If they are 1.2 gig MPEG2 files, most likely they will be slow on any system. If you can and have the hard disc space, try capturing as DV AVI files. They will be much large in size but quicker to edit because they are not compressed.

My system specs are as follows:

System Type: Dell Dimension 8300

1 9Y856 PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.6G, 512, 800FSB, SOCKET N

1 M2035 CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), DIM8300, AUDIO 5.1/NIC

2 J0201 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 400M, 32X64, 8K, 184

1 0R533 CARD (CIRCUIT), MULTI-MEDIA, AUDIO, SB0203

1 Y0607 DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 680M, 16X, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE, CHASSIS 2001

1 5W540 DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 17, DUAL, E171FPB, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION

1 9Y452 CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 128MB, NV34, DIMENSION

1 T0103 DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, DVD+RW, 4.7, NEC CORPORATION, 4X, DVD+R, CHASSIS 2001, V2

1 2K221 HARD DRIVE, 80G, I, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, 1N, 7.2K, WD-XL40

So it appears that my system meets the minimums. My question is are the minimums truly sufficient. Would adding memory for instance help.

My hard drive is almost full but I just ordered a 300 GB Maxtor internal HD to take care of that problem.

I am using MPEG2 files because I didn't know better. I tried MPEG1 but the quality was really bad. When I get the new HD I'll try using DV AVI. I assume my capture device will capture to that format directly. I'll have to see. So even though the DV AVI files are larger, it will make performance better????

Any other hints about the resolution I should use when capturing the analog video? I've been dumping an entire tape (~1.5 hr) to one file for convenence and then editing it into small pieces. Is that smart or is there a better way?

Thanks for all of you help. Look forward to seeing responses.

My system specs are as follows:

System Type: Dell Dimension 8300

1 9Y856 PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.6G, 512, 800FSB, SOCKET N

1 M2035 CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), DIM8300, AUDIO 5.1/NIC

2 J0201 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 400M, 32X64, 8K, 184

1 0R533 CARD (CIRCUIT), MULTI-MEDIA, AUDIO, SB0203

1 Y0607 DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 680M, 16X, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE, CHASSIS 2001

1 5W540 DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 17, DUAL, E171FPB, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION

1 9Y452 CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 128MB, NV34, DIMENSION

1 T0103 DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, DVD+RW, 4.7, NEC CORPORATION, 4X, DVD+R, CHASSIS 2001, V2

1 2K221 HARD DRIVE, 80G, I, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, 1N, 7.2K, WD-XL40

So it appears that my system meets the minimums. My question is are the minimums truly sufficient. Would adding memory for instance help.

My hard drive is almost full but I just ordered a 300 GB Maxtor internal HD to take care of that problem.

I am using MPEG2 files because I didn't know better. I tried MPEG1 but the quality was really bad. When I get the new HD I'll try using DV AVI. I assume my capture device will capture to that format directly. I'll have to see. So even though the DV AVI files are larger, it will make performance better????

Any other hints about the resolution I should use when capturing the analog video? I've been dumping an entire tape (~1.5 hr) to one file for convenence and then editing it into small pieces. Is that smart or is there a better way?

Thanks for all of you help. Look forward to seeing responses.

Don't know about the audio, but your video card may not be up to snuff, because it is an onboard chip. Make sure that you have the latest drivers for it.

NV34 should be a Geforce FX5200 which worked fine for me. Make sure you have the latest nVidia drivers and get the latest DirectX June 2006 release here.

Reading through Dell's support, looks like they offered 6 or 7 video cards for the Dimension 8300 so I don't think they are on the motherboard. They even had 4 different ATI Radeon 9800 models listed for the same machine.

Archived