Formatting blank disks, what happened?!

Chips

Question

On Roxio 7 the desktop widget had the really handy and easy to use ability to format a blank disk so you could, not only drag n drop files onto disk, but also allowed you to both fully edit the disk and its contents (file names, disk name, create new folders, drag n drop files two and from folders etc.). In a way the program turned the disk into a little portable hard drive. Now, this was made about 6 years ago and once I found out that Roxio 2010 had a similar widget I thought, “Wow, I wonder what this one’s capabilities are?!” But imagine my utter disappointment when I found out it only had a basic drag n drop capability! Nope, it hasn’t (or at least as far as I can see) got a format capability for storage disk editing like my antiquated 7 has whatsoever! Now if I want to edit anything I have to go through the long routine of transferring everything to hard drive, blanking the disk and then burning the whole thing again! So, my question is what happened to this great and handy function?

Oh, by the way, what also happened to the blanking disks function too?

Edited by Chips

7 answers to this question

Earlier versions Direct CD and later version Drag to Disc D2D, haven't been in the suite since Easy Media Creator 9..

It is called UDF/Packet Writing, not a reliable long term data storage. Combined with the use of RW media, writing, rewriting, to the media made it worse..

Windows Vista and 7 have UDF/Packet Writing options built into the operating system.

cd

What is the "desktop widget" that Chips is referring to???

I only see the one Gadget for Easy Audio Capture. Unless he is refering to the Roxio Burn?

As cd mentioned, actual Packet Writing was dropped 3 versions ago when Vista included it in the OS.

It's probably this one, Jim. Did you missread the rest of the sentence you quoted from? There's no Roxio Burn in EMC 7. :)

post-208-1265783262.jpg

On Roxio 7 the desktop widget had the really handy and easy to use ability to format a blank disk

Regards,

Brendon

It's probably this one, Jim. Did you missread the rest of the sentence you quoted from? There's no Roxio Burn in EMC 7. :)

post-208-1265783262.jpg

Regards,

Brendon

We are talking about Creator 2010, not dredging up the ghost of the past… There was no such thing as a Widget in EMC7 nor in any Windows OS prior to Vista…

What you posted is an "Application", no such thing as a 'widget'.

There are some things he can do now with Creator 2010 that are similar if he wants to go into them… You should really spend more time helping than trying to be the forum interrupter :(

Chips,

Is that the "thing" you were talking about? I think you've just been told off for calling it a wrong name. :)

That's what Roxio call it on the box, the little desktop disk shaped icon that can't seem to stay still. In a lot of ways it's much like my old Roxio 7 "widget", but with less functions.