• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

saulkassin

Video Capture, Digitization and Burn

Question

I have a VHS Library, which I want to digitize.

I want to be able to burn the VHS to DVD's and also be able to copy small clips from the digitized VHS to be able to share and include in slideshows. I want to know from the beginning the right path and formats, so I only have to do the digitization process once. Its a bit confusing, because there are several formats for doing this. I understand first, I should capture the VHS to a digital file on my computer.

Questions: what format and settings should I choose?

Can I have a list and explanation of all the options for this?

Is there any ways to increase the quality of the VHS?

When the digitized VHS file is stored on my computer, what format should be used when burning it to DVD?

If the file/format/size stored on the computer is larger than DVD size (4.7GB) can it still fit on one DVD? Will it require several DVD's? If its burned on one DVD, will it decrease in resolution?

When capturing the VHS to my computer is there a way to automatically stop the capture once the VHS tape is finished? or is this a manual process, that you must physically press stop recording (timing it with the end of the VHS).

Does the VHS capture have to be done in real time, Is there a way to speed up the process and capture the VHS, quicker than real time?

Why do captured VHS digitized files only play in a small window on the computer, but full screen on a TV? Is there a way for it to play full screen on a computer as well?

Since VHS is lower quality than DVD - Is it possible to fit more than 120 minutes of Video on a DVD, without decreasing the quality/resolution?

Is there different formats/setting for DVD's as far as recording/burning video files?

What is XP = 60 minutes, SP=120 minutes, LP=160 minutes, EP=240 minutes, SLP=360 minutes?

DVD-R DVD+R - is there any difference, as far as quality or capacity?

I always here about double layer DVD's or other forms of doubling or increasing the file capacity of DVD's - please explain. So is there any way to increase the capacity for standard DVDR's?

Can I work on my computer while burning CD's/DVD's?

Can I work on my computer while capturing VHS to computer?

Is there any tutorials or manuals for the sildeshow application in Creator 2010 suite?

In the Learning Center - is there a way to view all the video tutorials? Only three are displayed on the Learning Center tab.

I also have a library of video from my HD (Hi-Def) camcorder.

When bringing in the HD video to my computer (is this process called capture, because its already digital) what formats/files types should I use?

How do I bring it into my computer? I know I connect my HD Camera via USB or Firewire to my computer, what process and program to I use in Creator 2010?

HD video can be burned to standard DVD's - is there any different setting or formats for this? HD video on standard DVD's is capable of 30 minutes - please confirm? Can HD video be burned to standard CDR's?

Thanks - Much Appreciated.

I wish all this info was in the manual.

3 answers to this question

You've asked for a lot here, which is intimidating to attempt to answer. As such, and because I don't have an answer for every question, I will pose my answers to a select few.

Is there any ways to increase the quality of the VHS?

Simply, no. Changes like color and contrast can be altered, which may improve the final image, but actual "quality" or "resolution" won't be increased.

If the file/format/size stored on the computer is larger than DVD size (4.7GB) can it still fit on one DVD? Will it require several DVD's? If its burned on one DVD, will it decrease in resolution?

You need to think in terms of playback time, not file size. Figure 1 hour of playback for a single layer DVD at best quality. You can capture an hour of video as a .AVI file, which will be much larger than a DVD, but when rendered to DVD quality, will fit just nicely onto a DVD.

Does the VHS capture have to be done in real time, Is there a way to speed up the process and capture the VHS, quicker than real time?

The capture device is expecting the analog signal to come into it in a real-time fashion. You can't speed that up.

Why do captured VHS digitized files only play in a small window on the computer, but full screen on a TV? Is there a way for it to play full screen on a computer as well?

The actual "resolution" of a standard def TV is roughly 740x480. If you're looking at a monitor configured for 1024 x 768, or higher, you can see that the "full size" image doesn't fill the screen. Most playback programs allow you to set them for fullscreen playback, where the image is stretched to fit the screen. You will likely notice pixelation.

Since VHS is lower quality than DVD - Is it possible to fit more than 120 minutes of Video on a DVD, without decreasing the quality/resolution?

Is there different formats/setting for DVD's as far as recording/burning video files?

What is XP = 60 minutes, SP=120 minutes, LP=160 minutes, EP=240 minutes, SLP=360 minutes?

Different levels of compression can be used. As I said above, 1 hour of video at "Best Quality" will fill a 4.7GB DVD. If you go to lower quality (more compression) you can fit significantly more playback time onto a DVD. You'll have to try different settings to see if you find the quality changes acceptable or not. This is where a DVD-RW (erasable) disc is useful.

Can I work on my computer while burning CD's/DVD's?

During the actual burn, assuming you've captured and rendered to a .ISO file, or a folder set, you should be able to do some work on your PC, but I wouldn't try to overtax it.

Can I work on my computer while capturing VHS to computer?

I wouldn't recommend it. In fact, you might want to turn off your Anti-Virus and any other background tasks you can find during capture. Depends on your system.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions!

While not all the information you asked is in the manual, a lot of them are. Have you read the manual or Help file?

While not all the information you asked is in the manual, a lot of them are. Have you read the manual or Help file?

Counting duplicate questions, saulkassin asked 25 questions of which one is in the help files unless you already posess a lot of knowledge about video editors and authoring software.

I can point you to one of my reloading manuals that lists 18 powders and up to 6 different loads for each powder but that does not answer a question of "why are there so many loads?", does it.

saulkassin: Dave covered many of your questions but I think it would be more productive if you did some testing to see what meets your expectations.

Get a few DVD RW discs and a notepad. Make some short captures (under 5 minutes) from different tapes and scenes.

Burn them different ways and try them on different TVs. Keep note of what you did and how it turned out.

Oh, V2D will not do any HD video, won't even load it in. You would have to either get a converter program or go with Creator 2010.