System Process CPU 100% After Install

oddible

Question

OK, so I recall this being a problem when I first purchased EMC 7. I recently reinstalled the product to my new computer and am having serious problems. The SYSTEM process is maxed at 100%. When I kill off the tfswctrl service it seems to resolve the issue. Unfortunately now I can't use the software at all as that service seems to provide the access to the DVD drive. Now what?

I would consider purchasing EMC8 but then I noticed that Roxio seems to have become significantly more evil lately. I now seem to have received Napster as well as a TSR called homepageapp.exe. Maybe others. Why all the crap? I mean, I paid for the software. Charge me an extra $10 and I'll pass on the advertisements and spyware.

Anyway, if anyone has a solution to my immediate problem of SYSTEM process out of control due to tfswctrl, please let me know. I've run the updater and there are no indicated updates for the software.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

OK, so I recall this being a problem when I first purchased EMC 7. I recently reinstalled the product to my new computer and am having serious problems. The SYSTEM process is maxed at 100%. When I kill off the tfswctrl service it seems to resolve the issue. Unfortunately now I can't use the software at all as that service seems to provide the access to the DVD drive. Now what?

I would consider purchasing EMC8 but then I noticed that Roxio seems to have become significantly more evil lately. I now seem to have received Napster as well as a TSR called homepageapp.exe. Maybe others. Why all the crap? I mean, I paid for the software. Charge me an extra $10 and I'll pass on the advertisements and spyware.

Anyway, if anyone has a solution to my immediate problem of SYSTEM process out of control due to tfswctrl, please let me know. I've run the updater and there are no indicated updates for the software.

Thanks.

tfswctrl is HP packet writing software and has nothing to do with EMC. When you installed EMC did you also install Roxios packet writing software, called Drag-to-Disc? If yes then you will have to uninstall one of the packet writing packages since only one can be installed on a system. Napster can be uninstalled or disabled. What advertisements and spyware are you referring to? I got none when I installed EMC 7.

EMC 7 was originally written by a company named Roxio, which by then had purchased the software and rights to Napster. This is why they included Napster. Subsequently, they sold the Roxio software and name and right to a different company (Sonic) and renamed themselves Napster.

Sonic subsequently released EMC 7.5, which combined Roxio EMC 7 with several Sonic software programs, and has since developed and released EMC 8 (which is more a new program than an upgrade).

Getting back to the Napster question - install Napster if it insists, do the Napster update, and then uninstall it. It won't bug you any more after that.

Lynn

The SYSTEM process is maxed at 100%. When I kill off the tfswctrl service it seems to resolve the issue. Unfortunately now I can't use the software at all as that service seems to provide the access to the DVD drive. Now what?

What is tfswctrl.exe --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Process name: Drive Letter Access Component

Product: DirectCD

Company: HP, Veritas, Sonic Solutions

File: tfswctrl.exe

Security Rating:

Drive letter access to HP's and Veritas' version of DirectCD. Does the same thing as DirectCD. From HP - "This is a needed file as it controles the readability of the Combo drives. Without this file loading the end user will be able to burn CD's but wont be able to read them. The drive itself will be able to read store bought master Cd's without the file but not burnt ones"

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/tfswctrl.exe.html

Decide what program you want. Uninstall all Sonic, Roxio, Use the zap. Reinstall one program!

cdanteek

Archived