• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Capturing Streaming Audio

droberts34

Question

I have been able to convert tapes to MP3's using Creator 2010 digitize LP's and tapes option. I connected my tape player output to "line in" and can observe the incoming signal in the Roxio LP and Tape assistant window. However, when trying to capture an audio signal from RealPlayer with the audio coming out of my speakers, I get no indication of incoming signal on the Easy Audio Capture window, hence cannot adjust the recording level. Then my subsequent recorded session had negligible signal level. The Audio Capture Window has only two input choices, "line in" and "microphone" neither of which seems appropriate for streaming audio. Am I missing something? I'm running WINDOWS XP

droberts34

Edited by droberts34

8 answers to this question

I have been able to convert tapes to MP3's using Creator 2010 digitize LP's and tapes option. I connected my tape player output to "line in" and can observe the incoming signal in the Roxio LP and Tape assistant window. However, when trying to capture an audio signal from RealPlayer with the audio coming out of my speakers, I get no indication of incoming signal on the Easy Audio Capture window, hence cannot adjust the recording level. Then my subsequent recorded session had negligible signal level. The Audio Capture Window has only two input choices, "line in" and "microphone" neither of which seems appropriate for streaming audio. Am I missing something? I'm running WINDOWS XP

droberts34

Based on your post information, I am assuming that you have "Realplayer" as your default audio source. Which I would again guess that you do not have a dedicated sound card. Looking at the attached screen shots is this the way you have been capturing your tapes usin Roxio 2010 ??

Frank...

droberts34

Depending on your sound card you should be able to record it as long as you have an Input Setting for the sound card that will capture the sound.

Your sound card is not providing the correct inputs to capture it. What type of Sound card do you have?

Based on your post information, I am assuming that you have "Realplayer" as your default audio source. Which I would again guess that you do not have a dedicated sound card. Looking at the attached screen shots is this the way you have been capturing your tapes usin Roxio 2010 ??

Frank...

No, the first screen shot shows the option I am trying to use for Real Audio. For the tapes I use the "Digitize LP's and Tapes" option, but the choices are the same. The second is the screen I get, and my only option is "Sigma Tel Audio", which is presumably my "sound card" which is on the Mother board of my Dell Dimension E310 computer. As I said, the sound comes out of the speakers, but the Roxio can't find it. Are you saying I should be able to somehow select RealPlayer as the source?

Don

Depending on your sound card you should be able to record it as long as you have an Input Setting for the sound card that will capture the sound.

Your sound card is not providing the correct inputs to capture it. What type of Sound card do you have?

It just says "Sigma Tel Audio" and is on the mother board. It's the only option I have. It delivers RealPlayer audio to the speakers, but not to Roxio. I have a Dell Dimension E 310 (vintage 2006)

No, the first screen shot shows the option I am trying to use for Real Audio. For the tapes I use the "Digitize LP's and Tapes" option, but the choices are the same. The second is the screen I get, and my only option is "Sigma Tel Audio", which is presumably my "sound card" which is on the Mother board of my Dell Dimension E310 computer. As I said, the sound comes out of the speakers, but the Roxio can't find it. Are you saying I should be able to somehow select RealPlayer as the source?

Don

Never heard of the on board sound chip you have but are you sure you have the cable plugged into your "Line In" port on the ports available on the MB, especially if you are hearing sound from the speakers ??

"Real Player is a program that can play audio but not necessarily a device that can be used to transfer audio from your tapes to the computer. I still think that your on board sound card (chip) should work if you have the cable plugged into the correct "Line In" port.

Trying to visulize what the cable setup should look like from your tape player to your computer---

You should have red and white RCA cables coming out of the "OUT" ports on your tape player and then on the end of those cables a transition to a small 1/8" plug that is plugged into the "Line In" port on your computer. I use a cable setup like the one in this attachment---Then from it I have red and white cables that go from it to the back of my player (RCA AUDIO OUT Ports). And I am using C2010 Pro and "the program I previously posted attachments for.

Frank...

Never heard of the on board sound chip you have but are you sure you have the cable plugged into your "Line In" port on the ports available on the MB, especially if you are hearing sound from the speakers ??

"Real Player is a program that can play audio but not necessarily a device that can be used to transfer audio from your tapes to the computer. I still think that your on board sound card (chip) should work if you have the cable plugged into the correct "Line In" port.

Trying to visulize what the cable setup should look like from your tape player to your computer---

You should have red and white RCA cables coming out of the "OUT" ports on your tape player and then on the end of those cables a transition to a small 1/8" plug that is plugged into the "Line In" port on your computer. I use a cable setup like the one in this attachment---Then from it I have red and white cables that go from it to the back of my player (RCA AUDIO OUT Ports). And I am using C2010 Pro and "the program I previously posted attachments for.

Frank...

No I have two situations here one works the other doesn't. The external hardware connection to "line in" works fine, and it doesn't involve RealPlayer. The other situation is streaming audio from the internet. Roxio Creator 2010 has an option to capture this audio source, but I get no sound level and nothing gets recorded. I found instructions on the Roxio website and turned on the "recording" option, but it still gets no input level. Now I think I have discovered the problem. RealPlayer won't allow recording unless you upgrade to RealPlayer Plus.

for $40. It's not THAT important that I record this using Creator 2010. I can always put a mic in front of the speakers if I really want something. Thanks for your efforts

No I have two situations here one works the other doesn't. The external hardware connection to "line in" works fine, and it doesn't involve RealPlayer. The other situation is streaming audio from the internet. Roxio Creator 2010 has an option to capture this audio source, but I get no sound level and nothing gets recorded. I found instructions on the Roxio website and turned on the "recording" option, but it still gets no input level. Now I think I have discovered the problem. RealPlayer won't allow recording unless you upgrade to RealPlayer Plus.

for $40. It's not THAT important that I record this using Creator 2010. I can always put a mic in front of the speakers if I really want something. Thanks for your efforts

O.K. Don. I never have used Real Player or for that matter Real Player Plus to capture any audio, but what ever works I guess is the way to go. Capturing from a mic placed near your speakers does work but not the best way if you want a good or great audio sound. Good luck Don and sorry I couldn't be of more help using your on board audio.

Frank...

Google "streaming audio", there are lots of programms out there should meet your needs.

Another quick way is connect your Line Out to the Line In on your sound card. Of course you speakers won't work (as that is what is plugged into the Line Out).

None of those inputs are going to work.

Unless the Sigma Tel gives you an input that is actually "What you Hear" then you won't be able to capture using it.

You need to look for is "What You Hear" "Wave" "Speaker" or something like that.

My Audigy card gives the What You Hear option and works just fine.

It's just a matter of the Sigma Tel not presenting the correct inputs to allow you to capture what's playing.

You may be able to find another program that will let you do this but Roxio won't with the sound device you have.