Drag & Drop to DVD Capable?

udonjoe

Question

Does Creator 2010 have drag & drop to DVD functionality? I understand that the DrgtoDsc.exe process (the source of this capability) was not used after Version 9. If drag & drop is no longer a feature of Creator, is there a way that I can salvage it from my Creator 7 before wiping my HD & performing a clean install of 2010? Thanks.

No - it's gone completely

Apart from whuich, it is totally unreliable for any backup (there have been numerous wails and lamentations from people who thought it would store important data)

Let me qualify that response. It has been "transformed". The "Drag to Disc" application is gone, but in its place is "Roxio Burn". When you have a disc in your drive (CD or DVD) an icon for that drive shows up on your desktop. You can drag and drop files to that icon, which are queued for writing. Once you're ready to write them, you right-click on the icon and tell it to burn the files to the disc. Instead of the relatively unreliable packet-writing that D2D used, this actually writes a session. Very reliable, and interchangeable from machine to machine for reading. So, it's a two step process, but still very much a "drag and drop" type of application.

Hope that helps!

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. I will checkout Roxio Burn, knowing that I still have Roxio 7 as a fallback.

Let me say, however, that my experience with drgtodsc has been somewhat different than what I've read here. First, I may be using the applet in a different manner than Roxio envisioned. The process automatically starts on my computer, though I have disabled the Notification Area icon. Instead, I have a shortcut to the program on my desktop for cases of copying large files to DVD. Under normal circumstances, I drag & drop files directly to the DVD folder without ever executing the Drag to Disc icon shortcut on my desktop. The operation functions exactly the same as though the DVD were a USB memory stick. On occassion with files over say 50-100 MB, the process will sometimes stall or abort, unless I first execute the program by clicking on my shortcut icon. I have never had a problem when clicking on the icon before the drag & drop operation. Note that I have disabled WXP's built-in disc burning function.

Consequently, Drag-to-Disc has been a Godsend for me, as I prefer manual backups of personal data files & logs. Without Drag-to-Disc, the copying process would be cumbersome at best. And since I'm a private computer user, I've no need for scheduled backup plans or programs.

It is quite odd, if I may, that Roxio has chosen to take away this capability; it's as though they were taking us backward. Perhaps their motive is one of preserving antiquated burn programs?

Joe Davis

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. I will checkout Roxio Burn, knowing that I still have Roxio 7 as a fallback.

Let me say, however, that my experience with drgtodsc has been somewhat different than what I've read here. First, I may be using the applet in a different manner than Roxio envisioned. The process automatically starts on my computer, though I have disabled the Notification Area icon. Instead, I have a shortcut to the program on my desktop for cases of copying large files to DVD. Under normal circumstances, I drag & drop files directly to the DVD folder without ever executing the Drag to Disc icon shortcut on my desktop. The operation functions exactly the same as though the DVD were a USB memory stick. On occassion with files over say 50-100 MB, the process will sometimes stall or abort, unless I first execute the program by clicking on my shortcut icon. I have never had a problem when clicking on the icon before the drag & drop operation. Note that I have disabled WXP's built-in disc burning function.

Consequently, Drag-to-Disc has been a Godsend for me, as I prefer manual backups of personal data files & logs. Without Drag-to-Disc, the copying process would be cumbersome at best. And since I'm a private computer user, I've no need for scheduled backup plans or programs.

It is quite odd, if I may, that Roxio has chosen to take away this capability; it's as though they were taking us backward. Perhaps their motive is one of preserving antiquated burn programs?

Joe Davis

Actually "Drag to Disc" is the antiquated burning program. :blink:

Joe Davis

Drag to Disc uses "packet-writing", vs. the "authoring" system used by Creator and most of the major players.

However I suspect that Sonic has not "taken away" this writing system from you, but has left you to get it from your Operating System if you want it. The system is provided as the default writing system for Microsoft's 'Live File System' in both Windows Vista, and Windows 7, so there seems little point in supplying and supporting it in a Sonic/Roxio suite and thus having you pay twice for it.

:)

Brendon

Brendon, you sound quite intelligent & full of knowledge about 1s & 0s. That said, the particulars of how the program is constructed makes no difference to me, the end-user. Roxio provided a capability that allowed easy use of CD\DVD media on the fly without having to load a separate program & punch all the right buttons. I use WXP with no plans to upgrade to either Vista or 7, both loaded with too many bells & whistles for me; the CD\DVD burning capability of XP is limited to CD-R\DVD-R only & is cumbersome compared to Roxio's drgtodsc. I remain at a loss as to why Roxio has removed our capability for having drag&drop to DVD. On a related note, had Roxio continued to carry & support drgtodsc, I would have purchased their latest Creator (i.e., they've lost my money).

Myguggi, Drag-to-Disc is not a burning program. It is a process that allows drag & dropping files directly to CD\DVD in the same way that you do so with USB memory sticks. You can apply labels all day long (i.e., "antiquated burning program"), but the fact remains that there's nothing as easy or as simple as Drag-to-Disc on the market that I'm aware of.

Brendon, you sound quite intelligent & full of knowledge about 1s & 0s. That said, the particulars of how the program is constructed makes no difference to me, the end-user. Roxio provided a capability that allowed easy use of CD\DVD media on the fly without having to load a separate program & punch all the right buttons. I use WXP with no plans to upgrade to either Vista or 7, both loaded with too many bells & whistles for me; the CD\DVD burning capability of XP is limited to CD-R\DVD-R only & is cumbersome compared to Roxio's drgtodsc. I remain at a loss as to why Roxio has removed our capability for having drag&drop to DVD. On a related note, had Roxio continued to carry & support drgtodsc, I would have purchased their latest Creator (i.e., they've lost my money).

Myguggi, Drag-to-Disc is not a burning program. It is a process that allows drag & dropping files directly to CD\DVD in the same way that you do so with USB memory sticks. You can apply labels all day long (i.e., "antiquated burning program"), but the fact remains that there's nothing as easy or as simple as Drag-to-Disc on the market that I'm aware of.

All that you say is more-or-less true, and I'm glad it's worked well for you. That said, many people found that Drag-to-Disc, and packet writing was unreliable and they lost data because of it.

But, that said, you would likely find that the Roxio Burn application, which resides on the desktop, is nearly (yes, not exactly) as easy as Drag-to-disc.

Enjoy!

Brendon, you sound quite intelligent & full of knowledge about 1s & 0s. That said, the particulars of how the program is constructed makes no difference to me, the end-user.

udonjoe,

The explanation was offered to inform you about what has happened to the Roxio suites, and to give you an insight as to why it has happened. You are free to ignore it if you like. I will still be happy.

I remain at a loss as to why Roxio has removed our capability for having drag&drop to DVD.

It was explained in that free-to-ignore explanation above. They have done it to save money, since they now don't have to provide and support a burning program [and it is just that] which is provided in the Operating System.

However, I'm not sure why you're still protesting so loudly now. You have long ago decided you're not going to upgrade your Operating System. That means you can continue to use the old software in its unchanged state and not give Roxio any money. They too will save lots more money than you would have spent, so surely that's a win-win situation. :)

Regards,

Brendon

udonjoe,

The explanation was offered to inform you about what has happened to the Roxio suites, and to give you an insight as to why it has happened. You are free to ignore it if you like. I will still be happy.

It was explained in that free-to-ignore explanation above. They have done it to save money, since they now don't have to provide and support a burning program [and it is just that] which is provided in the Operating System.

However, I'm not sure why you're still protesting so loudly now. You have long ago decided you're not going to upgrade your Operating System. That means you can continue to use the old software in its unchanged state and not give Roxio any money. They too will save lots more money than you would have spent, so surely that's a win-win situation. :)

Regards,

Brendon

I run Windows 7 and use easy media creator 9 it needed a DLM patch for 64 bit so drag n Drop would work.

I have thought about upgrading to 2010. However since drag n drop is not part of the 2010. I will continue to use Easy media Creator 9. I like the drag n drop and use it like a hard drive. I use a disc to copy the files I worked on for the day to the disc as a back up. I also copy these same files to another external HD. I like redundancy for some of my files I consider important. Drag n Draop used as HD was a nice feature that should not have been dumped at side of the road as trash. For this reason and this reason alone i will not upgrade to 2010.

I run Windows 7 and use easy media creator 9 it needed a DLM patch for 64 bit so drag n Drop would work.

I have thought about upgrading to 2010. However since drag n drop is not part of the 2010. I will continue to use Easy media Creator 9. I like the drag n drop and use it like a hard drive. I use a disc to copy the files I worked on for the day to the disc as a back up. I also copy these same files to another external HD. I like redundancy for some of my files I consider important. Drag n Draop used as HD was a nice feature that should not have been dumped at side of the road as trash. For this reason and this reason alone i will not upgrade to 2010.

Good luck running EMC 9 on W7. Some people say it will work (for a short time). There are other packet writing programs available; doesn't W7 have a type of packet writing program? Both Vista and W7 have a type of packet writing and that is why Roxio dropped it (other than all the complaints about losing data)

Good luck running EMC 9 on W7. Some people say it will work (for a short time). There are other packet writing programs available; doesn't W7 have a type of packet writing program? Both Vista and W7 have a type of packet writing and that is why Roxio dropped it (other than all the complaints about losing data)

I have been using with W7 64 bit since the RC 1 version came out and then with the Windows 7 64 bit Pro.

doesn't W7 have a type of packet writing program?

Yes it does, Steve. It's called 'Windows Live File System', and it's the default native writing system in Windows 7.

You should try the built-in system, Super Sarge. I would be very interested to see what you think of it after you've tried it out instead of Drag-to-Disc.

Regards,

Brendon

Yes it does, Steve. It's called 'Windows Live File System', and it's the default native writing system in Windows 7.

You should try the built-in system, Super Sarge. I would be very interested to see what you think of it after you've tried it out instead of Drag-to-Disc.

Regards,

Brendon

The windows one also works fine for my purposes, I only copy a couple files that I need to to the disc. I do not use Roxio except for the Drag n Drop capability, I use other programs for back up to external hard drive. I will also use ti to make a Light Scribe label now again. I usually use a ink jet printable disc to make my labels and have a printer for this purpose.

I just removed Easy Media creator 9 from my machine, as i do not need it to really drag and drop files W7 64 bit does just fine. I may need to install Creator 2009 so I can do light scribe as i do not know if W 7 can do that.

Edited by super sarge

The windows one also works fine for my purposes, I only copy a couple files that I need to to the disc. I do not use Roxio except for the Drag n Drop capability, I use other programs for back up to external hard drive. I will also use ti to make a Light Scribe label now again. I usually use a ink jet printable disc to make my labels and have a printer for this purpose.

I just removed Easy Media creator 9 from my machine, as i do not need it to really drag and drop files W7 64 bit does just fine. I may need to install Creator 2009 so I can do light scribe as i do not know if W 7 can do that.

'super sarge', C2010 is the only version compatible with Windows 7 and yes it does LightScribe..

cd

'super sarge', C2010 is the only version compatible with Windows 7 and yes it does LightScribe..

cd

It may be the only official one capable with W7, but I have used 9 with W7 RC-1 and the current version of W7 pro 64 bit and never had a problem. The only thing I had to do was install the 64 bit DLM patch for drag n Drop.

I have now uninstalled and really do not need Roxio on main machine it is on Laptop vista and I can write my light scribe using my Laptop

I have decided to 2010, however i need the link to the special where 50 dollars rebated, I got an e-mail on tit the other day but it was deleted

Edited by super sarge

It may be the only official one capable with W7, but I have used 9 with W7 RC-1 and the current version of W7 pro 64 bit and never had a problem. The only thing I had to do was install the 64 bit DLM patch for drag n Drop.

I have now uninstalled and really do not need Roxio on main machine it is on Laptop vista and I can write my light scribe using my Laptop

I have decided to 2010, however i need the link to the special where 50 dollars rebated, I got an e-mail on tit the other day but it was deleted

Don't know if that was something special? Here is a upgrade link, click on Upgrade Now and select the product your upgrading from to see the price..

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/creator/...e/overview.html

cd

Don't know if that was something special? Here is a upgrade link, click on Upgrade Now and select the product your upgrading from to see the price..

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/creator/...e/overview.html

cd

No there was an e-mail sent out giving a 50 dollar instant rebate from Roxio making the price 49.99.

At the time I was not going to purchase but since have changed my mind on this. I guess i will wait until they offer it again

\

I found the page,

http://www.roxio.com/enu/upgrade_center/em...rs/default.html

Edited by super sarge

Here's what Roxio says, which I hope will help you.

post-208-1266273171.jpg

This widget is provided as part of Creator 2010.

I don't think the claim that it will "Drag and drop files directly to a recordable CD, DVD, or BD" is quite true, though. :(

I have to agree the Roxio Drag and Drop files to the Icon does not work with DVD. I tried this three times today to burn one DVD_R. It shows that it did burn, but when you put it into DVD Player, I get Wrond Disk Error on my TV>

I have to agree the Roxio Drag and Drop files to the Icon does not work with DVD. I tried this three times today to burn one DVD_R. It shows that it did burn, but when you put it into DVD Player, I get Wrond Disk Error on my TV>

The "Roxio Burn" (which I assume you are calling "Roxio Drag and Drop" works perfectly. I use it all the time to quickly burn DivX avi files to a DVD which I then watch on my DVD player.

It will of course only work for data files. I don't think you can create a standard video DVD using Roxio Burn.

You've never been able to just "drag and drop" files to a DVD to make it playable on a TV, you have to author a video DVD using something like MyDVD to create the proper format for a playable DVD. Drag and drop is only for Data DVDs.

Thanks for all the replies. I purchased Roxio Burn 1.0, uninstalled Easy Media Creator 7, & installed Roxio Burn. After trying it out, I can finally answer/reply to a few of your comments.

1. d_deweywright: Roxio Burn is a simple burning program & is not the same as DrgToDsc. While DrgToDsc allows dragging files directly to a folder on a DVD or CD, Burn requres "burning" the files through the widget itself, & there's no option for saving to a branched subfolder.

2. Brendon: Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Obviously, you support Roxio's decision to remove DrgToDsc from Easy Media Creator. My stated loss of understanding was more of a side-note than anything else, one expressing shock at seeing such a useful tool removed from perhaps the only major program that offers the tool. Saving money by killing a popular tool? If your statement is true, then perhaps Roxio needs to hire more financially adept marketing managers.

3. Rookie: Exactly!

4. Ronnie Jones: I had a similar problem when trying out Roxio Burn. The widget reported "Reading Disc" when I inserted a DVD but never completed the read.

Summary comments. Windows XP Professional's built-in drag-to-disc functionality, though awkward & cumbersome, works better than Roxio Burn. However, the Windows applet capabilities are limited. Roxio's DrgToDsc makes life so much easier when performing backups on the fly, in exactly the same manner that flash drives provide. For those who've had problems with DrgToDsc, I found that: (1) if you place a shortcut of the DrgToDsc icon on your desktop & click on it prior to ejecting your disc, & (2) keep your copy sessions to less than perhaps 100 GB, depending on you computer system cabilities, you'll have no trouble accomplishing the copy 100% of the time with no data loss. In the event that you do have a problem (e.g., when experimenting with large file sizes), simply eject the disc, reboot the computer (to clear memory), & then try again with fewer files. With smaller totals, you don't even need to bring up the widget prior to ejection.

Cheers.

2. Brendon: Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Obviously, you support Roxio's decision to remove DrgToDsc from Easy Media Creator. My stated loss of understanding was more of a side-note than anything else, one expressing shock at seeing such a useful tool removed from perhaps the only major program that offers the tool. Saving money by killing a popular tool? If your statement is true, then perhaps Roxio needs to hire more financially adept marketing managers.

Thanks for your concern, but my feelings are quite un-bruised. :)

I didn't support the decision to remove Drag-to-Disc, but I'm obviously a voice in the wilderness and of course I wasn't consulted. Actually, I'm running Drag-to-Disc 32.90 very happily in Windows 7 Ultimate alongside Creator 2010, and it's working well.

post-208-1274436889.jpg

Regards,

Brendon

Edited by Brendon

Brendon, is Drag-to-Disc 32.90 from Easy Media Creator 9? If so, was it updated or simply retained when you upgraded to Easy Media Creator 10?

Regards

Joe

Thanks for your concern, but my feelings are quite un-bruised. :)

I didn't support the decision to remove Drag-to-Disc, but I'm obviously a voice in the wilderness and of course I wasn't consulted. Actually, I'm running Drag-to-Disc 32.90 very happily in Windows 7 Ultimate alongside Creator 2010, and it's working well.

post-208-1274436889.jpg

Regards,

Brendon

No, it's the latest version I could find while Sonic/Roxio was still selling it.

I've sent you a private message. Please click on the New Messages button at the top of the forum page to receive it.

post-208-1274513640.jpg

Regards,

Brendon