Can I recover a spanned catalog?

Brent13

Question

The CDs say they are part of a spanned set of files: the Roxio Restore icon is there. But when I click "Restore", Toast 8 looks a while, then says something like 'insert a CD with spanned Roxio catalog," (that's an approximation of message). Basically it can't read what seems to be there.

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

The restore application and catalog is burned to each disc. Toast doesn't do the restoring. Double-clicking on the Roxio Restore application on the disc should launch it and display a window of the catalog. If this isn't working you can use DiskCatalogMaker RE which I think is bundled with Toast 8 to create a catalog of what's on the disc. You can, of course, just go into the folders on the disc using the Finder to locate and copy what you need, although that won't do for files that are split across two discs.

The restore application and catalog is burned to each disc. Toast doesn't do the restoring. Double-clicking on the Roxio Restore application on the disc should launch it and display a window of the catalog. If this isn't working you can use DiskCatalogMaker RE which I think is bundled with Toast 8 to create a catalog of what's on the disc. You can, of course, just go into the folders on the disc using the Finder to locate and copy what you need, although that won't do for files that are split across two discs.

It was a set spanning 8 or so discs, and I double-clicked on "Restore" on 3 different discs and got the same error: something like "Insert a CD with the Restore application."

So I guess the Restore app didn't get burned on (at least) those three.

I guess that means I can catalog all files, as long as they aren't spanned. Is that correct?

Thanks.

It was a set spanning 8 or so discs, and I double-clicked on "Restore" on 3 different discs and got the same error: something like "Insert a CD with the Restore application."

So I guess the Restore app didn't get burned on (at least) those three.

I guess that means I can catalog all files, as long as they aren't spanned. Is that correct?

Thanks.

I'm having trouble comprehending why this error is happening. You might try this on a different Mac or on a PC if you choose Mac & PC as the format when you burned the discs.

You can catalog the discs contents using DiskCatalogMaker. It will include any files that are spanned across two discs. I believe those will have an extension of .spanned. You can copy any files off the discs in the Finder. I'm just not certain how to join split files without Roxio Restore working.