Unlinked

boongsong

Question

I have a DVD that has approximately 80-90 individual clips. I want to make a video, w/transitions, but there are about 10 individual clips that I do not want in the new video. What I have been doing is loading all clips into Video Wave, clicking on the the 1st clip and Open. When a small window opens, it shows all of the clips w/length and a box with an "X" in it. I remove the "X" from the clips that I don't want then click OK.

All the marked clips load in the panes at the bottom. I apply a transition, and save the production. Once I went to Output, slected Export as and the window came up "Make movie", DVD, MPEG-2, Best. I then clicked on Create File. After about 3 1/2 hrs, it was finished. I then closed it out, went to Output and Send to My DVD.

After I finished my Menu, clicked on Preview, one of two things happend: 1) Only menu comes up. 2) Error message saying unlinked video.

Closed that out, went back to Video Wave, clicked on continue current project, get the message that files are unsupported or posssibly corrupt and all the clips are in the bottom with large question marks.

I've made other video movies with Ccreator, but can't understand why I'm having problems with this particular project. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong andhow to correct willl be apprecdiated.

HP s5310f, NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE, AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB Ram (64 bit system), 640 HD.

Edited by boongsong

11 answers to this question

I have a DVD that has approximately 80-90 individual clips. I want to make a video, w/transitions, but there are about 10 individual clips that I do not want in the new video. What I have been doing is loading all clips into Video Wave, clicking on the the 1st clip and Open. When a small window opens, it shows all of the clips w/length and a box with an "X" in it. I remove the "X" from the clips that I don't want then click OK.

All the marked clips load in the panes at the bottom. I apply a transition, and save the production. Once I went to Output, slected Export as and the window came up "Make movie", DVD, MPEG-2, Best. I then clicked on Create File. After about 3 1/2 hrs, it was finished. I then closed it out, went to Output and Send to My DVD.

After I finished my Menu, clicked on Preview, one of two things happend: 1) Only menu comes up. 2) Error message saying unlinked video.

Closed that out, went back to Video Wave, clicked on continue current project, get the message that files are unsupported or posssibly corrupt and all the clips are in the bottom with large question marks.

I've made other video movies with Ccreator, but can't understand why I'm having problems with this particular project. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong andhow to correct willl be apprecdiated.

HP s5310f, NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE, AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB Ram (64 bit system), 640 HD.

I hope you have copied the clips from your DVD to your hard drive. I doubt if it will work with the clips direct from the DVD, I certainly would never consider doing it that way.

In fact I don't even understand what you are doing in your 1st paragraph :blink: Are you talking a bout a data DVD, a video DVD or what?

Edited by myguggi

When you did the Export As from VideoWave you effectively combined everything in ONE movie…

At this point you really have a mess on your hands!

Is there any chance you read my posts on Strategy & Portability?

If you saved your original MyDVD Project, you could load and remove the unwanted clips…

If nothing remains, it will get ugly.

I hope you have copied the clips from your DVD to your hard drive. I doubt if it will work with the clips direct from the DVD, I certainly would never consider doing it that way.

In fact I don't even understand what you are doing in your 1st paragraph :blink: Are you talking a bout a data DVD, a video DVD or what?

Here's the bottom line.. I have a DVD with approx 80 clips. I am trying to eliminate about 10 of the clips and add transitions to the rest and end-up with a new DVD. I've been able to get that done until I get to My DVD. When I do the menu and preview, it comes out good until I click on Burn. That's when an error comes up saying "unlinked video". Click on go to error and nothing happens. Can't figure out what the unlinked video is or how to fix it. I'll keep working on it and get it figured out.

I do appreciate your assistance and patience with me. I'm very new to this and I guess I'll just have to go back to the Users Manual and see if I can decipher it. I wish I was more into this type thing.

When you did the Export As from VideoWave you effectively combined everything in ONE movie…

If you saved your original MyDVD Project, you could load and remove the unwanted clips…

Thanks so much for your input and patience with me. This is what I'm trying to do. I have a DVD with about 80-90 clips. I want to make a new DVD without 10 of the clips and add transitions. I copied the clips to my hard drive and am using them in VW. I always Save As production1.dmsm whenever I make a change. I hesititate to export to video file as that takes about 3 1/2 hrs, so I go to MyDVD, create a menu, add the video from VW.

When I preview, everything looks good. Then when I click on Burn, I get an error message saying "unlinked video". Don't know where I went wrong at this point. Don't know what unlinked video is or how to fix it. Haven't seen anything addressing this.

I will continue working with this and will read through the info you have provided in your reply. I know I have a lot to learn about this as it is a lot more complicated that I envisioned. Hopefully I will haphazardly, unexpectedly find my way as I really want to figure this out. I'm not a quitter and will eventually get it down. I will definitely restrict my queries in the forum.

Got my production the way I want it in MyDVD. However, when I click on the burn button, I always get the "unlinked movie" error. What is an unlinked movie and how do I correct it?

Nothing in users manual, Help this page, Help, or forums addresses this issue.

To all those who have provided much appreciated help - THANK YOU!!!, I have finally figured it out and now have the video I was looking for.

Again, thank you very much. I'm going to try this again with another video and see how much I have learned, thanks to you all.

Got my production the way I want it in MyDVD. However, when I click on the burn button, I always get the "unlinked movie" error. What is an unlinked movie and how do I correct it?

Nothing in users manual, Help this page, Help, or forums addresses this issue.

You have a movie on the menu that has no link to the menu, just like the "error message" says.

How did you add the "clips" to your project? I hope you didn't add 70 or so individual clips as 70 menu items. It will take forever to navigate such a menu

HOw do you want the DVD menu structure.? Are these clips indicidual files on the dvd? Did you copy the video to your hard drive first? It would help if you answered the questions asked.

I would suggest that you first create a project with only a few clips and a simple menu. Trying to create a project with some 70 clips is going to lead to disaster if you do not have a workflow plan (did you read Jims work strategy?) and at least some experience using this program.

One quick question. In your reply, you include a picture of VW. In that picture under Create. there are three links - Create DVD, Create DVD - Advanced, and Create Labels. My copy of Creator does not show the Create DVD -Advanced. There are three entries: Create DVDs,

Create Labels, and Create Labels - Advanced.

Any reason why Create DVDs - Advanced is not in my Creator?

One quick question. In your reply, you include a picture of VW. In that picture under Create. there are three links - Create DVD, Create DVD - Advanced, and Create Labels. My copy of Creator does not show the Create DVD -Advanced. There are three entries: Create DVDs,

Create Labels, and Create Labels - Advanced.

Any reason why Create DVDs - Advanced is not in my Creator?

Because you are using Creatro 2010 and Jim's picture is from Creator 2009 :rolleyes:

C2009 had a myDVD Express and a myDVD program for Creating DVDs. The Create DVD - Advanced referred to the myDVD program.

In C2010 myDVD Express has been dropped and and you only have myDVD = Create DVDs

The clips copied are video clips saved on my hard drive and imported to VW.

Because you are using Creatro 2010 and Jim's picture is from Creator 2009 :rolleyes:

C2009 had a myDVD Express and a myDVD program for Creating DVDs. The Create DVD - Advanced referred to the myDVD program.

In C2010 myDVD Express has been dropped and and you only have myDVD = Create DVDs

Thank you for the clarification

The clips copied are video clips saved on my hard drive and imported to VW.

Thank you for the clarification

Better late than never, I guess (lousy reason, great excuse).

I finally figured-out how to get my video productions completed in VW. Thanks to all for your patience.

Working on PhotoShow now.