How to combine two .dmsd files to create one movie with MyDVD

Freds

Question

I have captured, split, cleaned up (authored) the video clips from a VHS source. I saved the projects as I went along, ending up with five smaller files that saved as .dmsd files. Now I would like to combine two of these files to make a "full" disk for DVD. I will end up with Three full DVD's off one VHS tape recorded with my Hitachi/2 piece Video camera. Amazing the time possible to get onto that old media!

I am at a loss as to how to accomplish this, even after reading the postings here and the help files with the program. I'm not suggesting the information isn't here but I can't seem to find it.

When I open a new project and try to add the .dmsd files to it I get a page that says there are no media files in my folder. That Media Manager will not recognize these files??????? Go figure.....it recognizes a slew of others.

I sure would appreciate someone setting me straight here. I sure hope I don't have to go through all the authoring again. This project is beginning to drag on too long.

thanks so very much in advance.

mb1

18 answers to this question

Sorry I got so long winded. LOL Once you find those captured video files, it may be easier to just start a new project just so you won't be confused.

Following Pattys instructions on searching for files, search for *.mpg and/or *.avi. That would be the quickest way.

I can use all the help I get Garry, thanks.

I am learning though. Before I came back I did use Patty's suggestion, searching, finding the original .avi file.

I have also learned(correct me if I'm wrong) I am referring to home videos, not commercial products here.

That the video content is captured and saved at the outset in a file(for most universal access) as an .avi. This file remains intact through out the whole process.(so don't lose it) It is not altered in any way, period.

The steps we go through to edit this movie are merely making precise "points" of the portion of the original .avi that will be copied into the final movie.

The files we add from other sources, such as background music, narration etc. are similarly noted to be included at the place in the movie we designate, while authoring.

Which ever program we happen to be using to work with, stores the information we input in their own particular format. This is the reason the files can not be read by a different program.

Some formats are universal and can be read by many programs(ie .AVI, .MP3 etc)

At this point, if I understand the above correctly may I ask what process would be recommended for me to take my original .avi, which saved at 39 GB, (yes, I know, huge) edit it into a movie that has perhaps only two buttons on each menu, using perhaps three or four DVDs.

This movie consists of a holiday with several side trips. I have managed to rearrange much of the footage into a watchable video with out repeating some of the previously shown clips. I would like to use each side trip with it's own button on the menu. I think I can squeeze 2 on each DVD.

The method I mistakingly used resulted in exactly what I wanted with the exception of placing 2 buttons on each menu. I burned one of them to an RW disk last night and it played out just fine. Perhaps I should just make 6 DVDs this time and be done with it.

I would appreciate learning the best process to do this sort of thing because I have a cupboard full of old tapes. At the rate I'm going I'll never be able to get it all done. I would say that my projects require "heavy" authoring as they are amateur home videos, have much camera motion, sidewalks showing, extra unwanted audio etc.

As I mentioned, I can use any good advice I can get. If my PC equipment list would help please let me know.

Thank You, mb1

Here is one way, just substitute MyDVD for DVD Bldr. This is a workaround that was used for v7, however, it will probably work for MyDVD also.

Open up your DVD Builder (MyDVD dmsd) project, click on Advanced Edit, now change something (i.e. the duration of a still photo, etc.), click Done. DO NOT CLOSE DVD BUILDER (MyDVD) or the file will disappear.

Now do a Windows Start\ Search\ All Files and folders.... search for a dmsm file, under More Advanced options, select - search System folders, Hidden Files, subfolders. Under When was it modified, choose today's date. ( On my computer, the file is in C:\ Documents and Settings\ username\ Local Settings\ Temp.) (username because I have different Win XP User Accounts.)

When Windows Search finds the file, double click on that file and it will open in VideoWave. Do an immediate File\ Save As... and give it a new name. Now your file will be able to be opened in VW in the future.

I think if you look around your computer, you will find a bunch of MPEG or AVI files, too. DMSD files ARE NOT video files. DMSD files contant NO video at all. MyDVD project files at literally a 'to do' list that tells MyDVD what files, backgrounds images, etc. , you have chosen for final output. When you 'burn', MyDVD wil read these instructions and then creates a disc, file or folder. THE ORIGINAL files are never changed. So somewhere on your computer are 5 video files. Most likely those files are in My Documents / My Videos. Check that folder for MPEG or AVI files.

There is nothing wrong with using MyDVD for any entire project. It just isn't recommended. It depends on how much editing you need to do.

Technically, the first part is correct - anyone with a computer and a DVD burner can burn DVDs of their home movies. No sweat? Not usually.

Yes, this can be done, but you need to learn how the applications work. Don't be too discouraged. Keep asking questions and eventually the process will get easier.

The process:

Capture your video: You can do this in Media Import which is also used within Videowave and MyDVD when you use that option in those applications.

Edit your video: This is where you cut parts out, add transitions, special effects, scrolling text and stuff like that. Normally you would use Videowave for this.

Create the DVD: This is the final step. Using MyDVD to create the menus, submenus, chapter marks, etc. MyDVD also does the final output to ISO, video folder or can burn directly to disc. You can add any of the following file types to a MyDVD project.

Files supported by MyDVD: bmp,rle,dib,jpg,jpe,jpeg,gif,png,tif,tiff,asf,wmv,m2s,mpeg,mpeg2,mp2,mpv,avi,mpg

,mp4,m2t,tp,trp,dvr-ms,Tivo,divx,vob,ifo,dmsm,pssd

You could skip the second step if you have little editing to do. Just add the video files directly into MyDVD which sounds like what you did. You captured the files in MyDVD and it added the file automatically then created a thumbnail. So the actual video file is on your hard drive somewhere. The dmsd only 'points' to it. Look in My Videos for a file like Captured Video ###.MPG or .AVI (where ### is a number). That is the default filename in Media Import.

mb1,

This quote from Gary pretty much outlines the steps you need to take. Reading the manuel and help files might give you some insight also. Just remember if your working with single layer media then it is best to keep your project down to one hour for the best results. I know most of the comments about capturing suggest that you capture in smaller segments, thus making it easier to edit. I am sure that Gary will be able to give you any further help that you might need. Constructing your project, as Gary stated, is far more flexible if you use Videowave and then save it, so you always have it even after you send it to MyDVD. Then if you want to make changes just bring it up in videowave and make them, the changes will show up in MyDVD also. I am so glad you were able to find the original capture files. Sounds like you have quite a few projects facing you, have fun. :):huh:

mb1,

This quote from Gary pretty much outlines the steps you need to take. Reading the manuel and help files might give you some insight also. Just remember if your working with single layer media then it is best to keep your project down to one hour for the best results. I know most of the comments about capturing suggest that you capture in smaller segments, thus making it easier to edit. I am sure that Gary will be able to give you any further help that you might need. Constructing your project, as Gary stated, is far more flexible if you use Videowave and then save it, so you always have it even after you send it to MyDVD. Then if you want to make changes just bring it up in videowave and make them, the changes will show up in MyDVD also. I am so glad you were able to find the original capture files. Sounds like you have quite a few projects facing you, have fun. :):huh:

Thanks for getting back to me Patty

From the posts I have looked at I now understand that I errantly used MyDVD instead of VideoWave to do my project.

You can imagine the time spent on this project so far, so I think I will just burn each of saved .dmsd files individually this time.

You are correct about the "quite a few projects" so I will have lots of material to hone my skills with.

I noticed that several other posters have similar problems to myself when it comes to using the newer Roxio versions. It is a shame too as I was getting along pretty well with Creator 6 but V8 is just different enough to make it difficult for an older person to learn. It certainly has many superior functions. I find it hard to make proper sense from the help information and the instructions provided. Thank goodness for you and Gary being here to guide us through the learning curve. I, and I am sure the others certainly appreciate your helping hand!

I notice that you have an awesome rig for yourself. I found it certainly helps to have lots of horsepower to make these things go smoothly. I also see you are on the West Coast.....Of???

I am also on the West Coast,,,,,of Vancouver Island. You anywhere near that?

Again thanks very much for your help and knowledge. I'll be checking these posts frequently and probably asking many more questions.

mb1

From your previous post, it sounds like you have a grasp on the workings so far. The original files are never altered even the music files, etc. As you posted, they are included in the final rendering process which creates an entirely new file.

39gig isn't really large. LOL If that is DV AVI, it would be approximately 3 hours of video. If you could find a place in the middle that would be logical, putting 1.5 hr on a single DVD should produce fairly good quality.

On thing to keep in mind with maing DVDs. SIZE DOESN'T MATTER :) Keep in mind that you can only get ONE HOUR of 'best' quality on a single 4.7gig DVD. You can get more time, but quality must be less because the video will be more compressed.

Here is one way, just substitute MyDVD for DVD Bldr. This is a workaround that was used for v7, however, it will probably work for MyDVD also.

Open up your DVD Builder (MyDVD dmsd) project, click on Advanced Edit, now change something (i.e. the duration of a still photo, etc.), click Done. DO NOT CLOSE DVD BUILDER (MyDVD) or the file will disappear.

Now do a Windows Start\ Search\ All Files and folders.... search for a dmsm file, under More Advanced options, select - search System folders, Hidden Files, subfolders. Under When was it modified, choose today's date. ( On my computer, the file is in C:\ Documents and Settings\ username\ Local Settings\ Temp.) (username because I have different Win XP User Accounts.)

When Windows Search finds the file, double click on that file and it will open in VideoWave. Do an immediate File\ Save As... and give it a new name. Now your file will be able to be opened in VW in the future.

Patty;

My thanks for your prompt response, and suggestion.

I will give this a try, then post my results.

thanks again;

mb1

Thanks for getting back to me Patty

From the posts I have looked at I now understand that I errantly used MyDVD instead of VideoWave to do my project.

You can imagine the time spent on this project so far, so I think I will just burn each of saved .dmsd files individually this time.

You are correct about the "quite a few projects" so I will have lots of material to hone my skills with.

I noticed that several other posters have similar problems to myself when it comes to using the newer Roxio versions. It is a shame too as I was getting along pretty well with Creator 6 but V8 is just different enough to make it difficult for an older person to learn. It certainly has many superior functions. I find it hard to make proper sense from the help information and the instructions provided. Thank goodness for you and Gary being here to guide us through the learning curve. I, and I am sure the others certainly appreciate your helping hand!

I notice that you have an awesome rig for yourself. I found it certainly helps to have lots of horsepower to make these things go smoothly. I also see you are on the West Coast.....Of???

I am also on the West Coast,,,,,of Vancouver Island. You anywhere near that?

Again thanks very much for your help and knowledge. I'll be checking these posts frequently and probably asking many more questions.

mb1

Hi mb1,

Just outside Seattle, mb1. Not that far from you. I really think when you get used to the software you will wonder why you ever wanted anything else. I started with v6, then 7 & 7.5 and now v8. Once I got use to v7 I never looked back. I still have v6 on one of my computers, because I wanted audio central. I have never gone back to any of the other parts. (except using some of the backgrounds)

There is just so much more in the last versions to really make it more interesting. Everyone on the forum is really helpful. Glad you on track now.

:):huh:

Thanks for me too Patty.

Once when running 7.5 I captured several different videos and just save them. Then when I went to DVDbuilder I added each separate one as a different chapter and then had one DVD with all of the videos on it. I hope I explained that right, but anyway it worked that way.

Frank....

Thanks for me too Patty.

Once when running 7.5 I captured several different videos and just save them. Then when I went to DVDbuilder I added each separate one as a different chapter and then had one DVD with all of the videos on it. I hope I explained that right, but anyway it worked that way.

Frank....

Yes, I figured once you get it back into a videowave form you can then create a new project using those videowave projects. That is why I love making my projects in videowave, because you can always go back and reconstruct a totally different project using a different combination. I do a lot of family projects and find that not everyone wants all the activities of various family members, so I customize them to suit the person. Hope the poster has good luck with this. :)

When I open a new project and try to add the .dmsd files
Just so there is no confusion, are you using MyDVD 8?

Assuming you are, then you OPEN the .dmsd file. If you are trying to add a Videowave project, those are .dmsm files and Media Selector should show those.

Patty suggestion woudl help if you forget where you saved you're files. That's one reason to keep Media Manager's 'wtach folders' turned on. You wouldn't ever need to know where you saved your files. Media Manager would always know.

How to combine two .dmsd files to create one movie with MyDVD

But to answer your question, there is no way to combine two MyDVD .dmsd files into one project. You can add as many Videowave files (.dmsm) files to a MyDVD project until the disc is full.

post-49-1150233699.jpg

I was using Videowave Gary and the DMSM productions.

Frank...

Sorry, I guess I was wrong, I thought you could get a dmsd into videowave, like if you made your project in DVD Bldr but wanted a videowave file. It just works in v7 & 7.5, MyDVD works different then DVD Bldr. it doesn't seems to work in v8. Sorry my mistake. Sorry masterburner1. :)

Assuming you are, then you OPEN the .dmsd file. If you are trying to add a Videowave project, those are .dmsm files and Media Selector should show those.

Patty suggestion would help if you forget where you saved you're files. That's one reason to keep Media Manager's 'teach folders' turned on. You wouldn't ever need to know where you saved your files. Media Manager would always know.

But to answer your question, there is no way to combine two MyDVD .dmsd files into one project. You can add as many Videowave files (.dmsm) files to a MyDVD project until the disc is full.

"I have captured, split, cleaned up (authored) the video clips from a VHS source. I saved the projects as I went along, ending up with five smaller files that saved as .dmsd files. Now I would like to combine two of these files to make a "full" disk for DVD. I will end up with Three full DVDs off one VHS tape recorded with my Hitachi/2 piece Video camera. Amazing the time possible to get onto that old media!"

Module Name: Roxio Creator 8 Suite Home

Version: 3.0.0

Build: 3.0.86B

Serial Number: ST-********-6X8JF-*******

Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2005

Module Name: PX Engine

Build: 2.7.17a, 63

Module Name: Roxio RecordNow Audio

Version: 3.0.0

Build: 300B66A, R8S

(I did the recent upgrade the other day too)

The file type is Roxio MyDvd Project. They all saved as .dmsd files.

Patty suggestion would help

I tried Patty's suggestion unsuccessfully so far, it warrants another try but I am not too hopeful at this stage.

I have Media Manager start at boot up and runs in the background.

there is no way to combine two MyDVD .dmsd files into one project. You can add as many Videowave files (.dmsm) files to a MyDVD project until the disc is full.

I should clarify further. I'm one of these "old" newbies. Using a PC for only the past 5 years or so. So please forgive me for being a dunce.

One of my main purposes in learning about PC's was the fact that I was lead to believe "yeah anyone can burn DVDs of their home movies, no sweat." Well in those years and now my third PC and having 3 generations of Creator I am still finding it difficult to handle things such as the situation I am now in. I've experimented with other software a little but have problems retaining what I learn about each step so found Creator to work the best for me.

As I stated this particular video created a huge captured file. I browsed this board finding some where, the advice that to make a movie that will fit on a DVD one can split the file at the appropriate place, delete the extra part and carry on with a manageable file from there. Which I did, over and over ending up with 5 separate files that I authored and "saved as" what turned out to be these .dmsd files. My intention was to place two or more on one of three DVDs making a set of a holiday disks.

However when I attempt to recombine them, media manager will not recognize the files to allow me to make a movie. I thought I could just get two buttons on my menu and be able to select and play them as normal.

I must admit I chose to do this in MyDvd because it seemed more familiar to me from my earlier Creator experiences. Perhaps it was a mistake and should have been done with Video Wave(which I haven't taken the time to try.)

I got to thinking on my own(dangerous) that would it be possible at this stage for me to burn these 5 movies onto 5 DVD+RW's, then get into ripping them as others seem to do with the commercial DVDs they wish to copy. Somewhere along the line being able to make the project I desire from some of those files. Or even from a saved .iso image. Or would the quality degrade too much if it were possible?

I do hope I haven't made this more confusing for you to understand by trying to give more details.

And thank you all for tying to help me out.

I'll continue to try to figure things out using the thoughts you have presented, thanks again.

I would certainly appreciate any solution or suggestion at this point.

mb1

Is v8 the only Roxio version you have?

Thanks Patty;

Yes the only one installed on this PC......I do have the old Creator 6 in the cupboard.

(then there is the "N" one)

I just browsed through my saved files and even the captured video has been saved in .dmsd----bummer

(I've been working on this project off and on for over a month now)

;-)

mb1

I just browsed through my saved files and even the captured video has been saved in .dmsd-
I think if you look around your computer, you will find a bunch of MPEG or AVI files, too. DMSD files ARE NOT video files. DMSD files contant NO video at all. MyDVD project files at literally a 'to do' list that tells MyDVD what files, backgrounds images, etc. , you have chosen for final output. When you 'burn', MyDVD wil read these instructions and then creates a disc, file or folder. THE ORIGINAL files are never changed. So somewhere on your computer are 5 video files. Most likely those files are in My Documents / My Videos. Check that folder for MPEG or AVI files.

There is nothing wrong with using MyDVD for any entire project. It just isn't recommended. It depends on how much editing you need to do.

"yeah anyone can burn DVDs of their home movies, no sweat."
Technically, the first part is correct - anyone with a computer and a DVD burner can burn DVDs of their home movies. No sweat? Not usually.
However when I attempt to recombine them, media manager will not recognize the files to allow me to make a movie. I thought I could just get two buttons on my menu and be able to select and play them as normal.
Yes, this can be done, but you need to learn how the applications work. Don't be too discouraged. Keep asking questions and eventually the process will get easier.

The process:

Capture your video: You can do this in Media Import which is also used within Videowave and MyDVD when you use that option in those applications.

Edit your video: This is where you cut parts out, add transitions, special effects, scrolling text and stuff like that. Normally you would use Videowave for this.

Create the DVD: This is the final step. Using MyDVD to create the menus, submenus, chapter marks, etc. MyDVD also does the final output to ISO, video folder or can burn directly to disc. You can add any of the following file types to a MyDVD project.

Files supported by MyDVD: bmp,rle,dib,jpg,jpe,jpeg,gif,png,tif,tiff,asf,wmv,m2s,mpeg,mpeg2,mp2,mpv,avi,mpg

You could skip the second step if you have little editing to do. Just add the video files directly into MyDVD which sounds like what you did. You captured the files in MyDVD and it added the file automatically then created a thumbnail. So the actual video file is on your hard drive somewhere. The dmsd only 'points' to it. Look in My Videos for a file like Captured Video ###.MPG or .AVI (where ### is a number). That is the default filename in Media Import.

The process:

Thank you Gary.

I will digest this and explore further..............I have definitely created a strange situation here. I'll be back after I've had a chance to check.

mb1

Sorry I got so long winded. LOL Once you find those captured video files, it may be easier to just start a new project just so you won't be confused.

Following Pattys instructions on searching for files, search for *.mpg and/or *.avi. That would be the quickest way.

Archived