Video file hangs

boongsong

Question

I have completed my production and saved it. Clicked on output, export, and when make movie comes up it shows DVD playback, MPEG-2, and I give it a name.

When I click on "create file", it starts processing and stops/hangs at the 29% point everytime I try. If I click on cancel, nothing happens and I then have to bring up Task manager and "end task". Any reason why it always hangs at that point?

I'm using video clips imported from my harddrive which were saved from a DVD. The original DVD plays fine on computer/DVD player and when I preview my production it is good - no errors noted.

I have an HP s5310f, AMD AthlonII X2 250 processor, 4GB memory, 600GB HD, 64=bit, NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 graphics w/1919NB dedicated graphics memory.

Edited by boongsong

13 answers to this question

Yeah, you have something corrupt, in your production, at the 29% point.

Why do you always output from VideoWave? Instead, save your project in VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced), then close VideoWave. Open MyDVD (Create DVDs), then bring in your VideoWave production.

Thanks. Will try that.

Yeah, you have something corrupt, in your production, at the 29% point.

Why do you always output from VideoWave? Instead, save your project in VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced), then close VideoWave. Open MyDVD (Create DVDs), then bring in your VideoWave production.

I don't believe that I have any corrupt files. I have 5 DVDs from a trip I took to Laos. All of them play normally on my CD/DVD player. I copied them to files in my harddrive and when I open them, they all play normally there.

When I go to VW, I copy the files from my harddrive, add transitions and save with a name. Only the 1st disc will not render. I've been under the impression that I have to create a video file and render the clips. When I do that, the 1st three clips render fine. Then the render stops @ the 29% point. I tried deleting the fourth clip, thinking it maybe did have corrupt file(s) but any subsequent clip does the same thing.

After going through all of my files, all copies of the 1st disc play normally except when I import it to VW. The files appear with transitions. However, after the 3rd clip and transition, the 4th clip starts and after about 1-2 secs, sound disappears. I'm assuming this is why the production will not render.

I need to know what is causing the sound to disappear on this disc only when the other four have no problems. All of the clips came from my JVC Everio hard drive camcorder.

By the way. I tried your way (close VW, open MyDVD) and same problem. In addition, it always comes up MYDVD Untitled. Am I safe in assuming that I must render and insert a name to get a title?

I don't believe that I have any corrupt files. I have 5 DVDs from a trip I took to Laos. All of them play normally on my CD/DVD player. I copied them to files in my harddrive and when I open them, they all play normally there.

When I go to VW, I copy the files from my harddrive, add transitions and save with a name. Only the 1st disc will not render. I've been under the impression that I have to create a video file and render the clips. When I do that, the 1st three clips render fine. Then the render stops @ the 29% point. I tried deleting the fourth clip, thinking it maybe did have corrupt file(s) but any subsequent clip does the same thing.

After going through all of my files, all copies of the 1st disc play normally except when I import it to VW. The files appear with transitions. However, after the 3rd clip and transition, the 4th clip starts and after about 1-2 secs, sound disappears. I'm assuming this is why the production will not render.

I need to know what is causing the sound to disappear on this disc only when the other four have no problems. All of the clips came from my JVC Everio hard drive camcorder.

By the way. I tried your way (close VW, open MyDVD) and same problem. In addition, it always comes up MYDVD Untitled. Am I safe in assuming that I must render and insert a name to get a title?

I am having great difficulty understanding or following what you are doing.

What files did you copy from your DVD to your hard drive? What is the format of those copied files? How long is each of those clips you are adding? What does "files appear with transitions" mean? Transitions are only added after you have added the video to the project.

Of course myDVD will come up utitled when you launch it. It has nothing to do with rendering

What files did you copy from your DVD to your hard drive? What is the format of those copied files? How long is each of those clips you are adding? What does "files appear with transitions" mean? Transitions are only added after you have added the video to the project.

Of course myDVD will come up utitled when you launch it. It has nothing to do with rendering

I apologize for not being very specific. I assumed, wrongly, that when I said I copied the files to my harddrive you would understand that the files I copied are from the original DVD that was made by transferring from my camcorder to the DVD.

I used that DVD to copy to my harddrive and saved all of the DVDs to a folder created for each one. I then would import one of those files to VW, add my transitions and then try to render the production.

I just don't understand why this one DVD will not render beyond the 29% point when I have played the original DVD on a player, in my computer via Media Player and when after I add my transitions and click on Preview, everything plays normally. That is what is causing my consternation - everything is normal until I try to render.

I even went to the extreme of uninstalling Creator and reinstalling it. Every DVD I copy to VW works great but this one won't render. I come across various problems with terms/termonology that I don't understand and can't find any guidance in the Users Guide, Help, or in these forums. I still don't have any idea what "unlinked movie" is or how to "get it linked" in MyDVD, as well as other problems.

I'm at the point of just forgetting the whole mess and chalk it up to a very expensive (money/time) lesson that I'm just not capable of grasping the complexities of Creator. I don't have any background in video beyond using a camcorder and copying those files to a DVD.

I guess I'll just uninstall Creator and do what I know I'm capable of doing.

a player will normally skip a 'glitch' in a recording - all you will see is a very short 'flicker' on screen - however, when it comes to rendering, the computer only sees a stream of binary digits - and if those are corrupt, even for a few bits, it will reject the file.

Can you render the segment up to the point of the error and then the segment after (say the forst 28%) and the final 70%? If so, there is a corruption in the source material.

[snip]

I apologize for not being very specific. I assumed, wrongly, that when I said I copied the files to my harddrive you would understand that the files I copied are from the original DVD that was made by transferring from my camcorder to the DVD.

I don't have any background in video beyond using a camcorder and copying those files to a DVD.

What do you mean by the above quoted statements? Does your camcorder record to miniDVDs?

Edited for spelling.

Edited by grandpabruce

Why would you assume that I would know that your video files are coming from a DVD camcorder. You never mentioned it in this thread. I still have no idea in what format those files are that were copied to your hard drive. For all we know those files could be data files on the DVD :blink: You cannot simply assume things, we are not sitting beside you and watching over your shoulder.

As to your problem file.. Why not simply add that file in Videowave, make your edit, etc and then output to DVD mpeg, best quality. If there is any problem with that this process should identify it. If not then we have to look elsewhere for your problem.

You would be better off starting with a small project and keep adding to it instead of doing a full project right away.

BTW, I responded to your question on "Unlinked movie" in one of your other threads. Perhaps if you would stick to one thread it would be a lot easier to help. At the moment you have 3 or 4 threads going all basically related to the same problem.

I'm having great difficulty understanding why you don't understand what I'm trying to do. With respect to the DVDs I havem, I have been trying to re-do them so they are not overly amateurish, like addiing transitions between clips. Not interested in menus, dubbing audio, or any other "Hollywood" type stuff. Just simple videos with transitions.

I know I'm not as knowledgeable as the gurus when it comes to doing something like that because I don't have the experience working with videos beyond using my camcorder and copying the videos to DVD. I've only had my camcorder since Nov 2009 and felt that using a software program would help me gain some knowledge in trying to make my videos a little more enjoyable.

I don't have any idea what format the camccorder uses to make the videos. AS a Guru, you should know that information as I've more than once identified the type of camera I use. Regardless, they were copied to individual folders on my hard drive and everyone of them plays with no problem in my DVD player, Windows Media Player and Creator. There are no hangups in any of them and that is why I don't believe the disc in question is corrupted.

As to "what does files appear with transitions" means, it means when I import them to VW from my hard drive, I add transitions to them while they are in the production editor area - you know, the area below the preview window.

After the transitions have been added, I click on preview and everything plays normallly - no hangups, no loss of audio, or any other problem. Once that is done, I save it and, as depicted in the Users Manual, export it to the Make Movie window, select a title and click Create Video File (can't preview because the preview button is "greyed out"). Once the rendering starts, everything goes normally until it gets to the 29% point and BANG!! - it stops.

I am sorry that I don't have the expertise that you, or any of the other guru's, have. I'm just a plain old newcomer to this business looking for any kind of assistance that will help me to become a little more knowledgeable in this type of endeavor. Unfortunately, because of my lack of experience and knowledge in the usage of this type of program, I'm not able to explain things in a manner that more experienced people understand. Because of this, I am very reluctant to even come back to the forum because I know the kind of response I'm probably going to get. So far, I've not gotten one response that has helped me figure this program out - everything I've accomplished has been as a result of me doing the trial and error procedure. FYI - I have actually produced 3 completed movies, with transitions and titles, in spite of the lack of guidance given by various gurus.

If I have offended anyone with this response, my apologies. I inquired in General Discussion area for Creator if there was a place I could vent my frustrations and the response I received was - "You just have. Now go to the appropriate area and explain your problem and errors your receiving to see if we can help". Not very professional in my opinion. But then, it's just an opinion.

Edited by boongsong

If I have offended anyone with this response, my apologies. I inquired in General Discussion area for Creator if there was a place I could vent my frustrations and the response I received was - "You just have. Now go to the appropriate area and explain your problem and errors your receiving to see if we can help". Not very professional in my opinion. But then, it's just an opinion.

None of the people, who responded to you, work for Roxio.

Sorry that you are having problems, and we can't help. You may want to click on the support tab, at the top of your screen, and contact Roxio directly.

a player will normally skip a 'glitch' in a recording - all you will see is a very short 'flicker' on screen - however, when it comes to rendering, the computer only sees a stream of binary digits - and if those are corrupt, even for a few bits, it will reject the file.

Can you render the segment up to the point of the error and then the segment after (say the forst 28%) and the final 70%? If so, there is a corruption in the source material.

Thank you for this response. I did, once, delete the clip where the rendering stopped but had the same problem. Will keep working with it. Wasn't aware that a player will normally skip a "glitch".

Thank you for this response. I did, once, delete the clip where the rendering stopped but had the same problem. Will keep working with it. Wasn't aware that a player will normally skip a "glitch".

I have solved the problem. I am of the opinion that my "glitch" was in the transition. I deleted the first three segments and started with the segment where the rendering would stop (29%). I then saved the production, sent it to "Make movie", clicked on create video file, and all went smoothly.

From there I sent it to My DVD, made my menu and burned it all to a disc. Got the video the way I want it.

Still believe the problem was with the transition following the third video clip.

Thanks to all who tried to help me.