• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

HELP! Error Code 064A during install of EMC10

psbecker

Question

I am running XP Pro with all the current patches and upgrades.

I had been running EMC10.1 and had a disk issue so have been rebuilding things including reinstalling EMC10. To be sure that there were no problems left over from the previous installation, I followed the instructions from elsewhere on this forum on doing a complete uninstall.

Now when I try to reinstall EMC10 I get Error Code 064A and the install aborts with no other explanation. I went to the Roxio support area on their web site to submit a trouble ticket, but apparently they are no longer supporting this product because it is not on the pull-down list you must enter to leave a question.

Does anybody have any idea what that error code means or any suggestion about how I might find out? I did a search on this forum for any reference to that error code and came up empty.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Phil Becker

7 answers to this question

I am running XP Pro with all the current patches and upgrades.

I had been running EMC10.1 and had a disk issue so have been rebuilding things including reinstalling EMC10. To be sure that there were no problems left over from the previous installation, I followed the instructions from elsewhere on this forum on doing a complete uninstall.

Now when I try to reinstall EMC10 I get Error Code 064A and the install aborts with no other explanation. I went to the Roxio support area on their web site to submit a trouble ticket, but apparently they are no longer supporting this product because it is not on the pull-down list you must enter to leave a question.

Does anybody have any idea what that error code means or any suggestion about how I might find out? I did a search on this forum for any reference to that error code and came up empty.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Phil Becker

I assume that you have the program on a disc and are trying to install from there. Copy the disc to your computer and try doing the install from the folders on your hard drive.

I assume that you have the program on a disc and are trying to install from there. Copy the disc to your computer and try doing the install from the folders on your hard drive.

Thank you for the quick reply. However, for better or worse, I bought EMC10 online so only received the downloaded file. Therefore, I am already trying to run the install from my hard drive. BTW, I am running the install under an admin account.

The downloaded file (actually it's files as there are more than one) are actually self-extract archives

Open them with winzip or winrar and extract the files to a folder anywhere on the computer and run estyp.exe from there

OK, This is driving me crazy and I need some more help.

Over the last few weeks I have tried all sorts of ways to reinstall EMC10.

1. I followed all the instructions to do a clean install that are posted in various parts of this forum and then even went into the registry and removed every reference to Roxio or Sonic to be really sure it is clean.

2. I unzipped the downloaded installation executable into a private directory under a separate admin-level user and ran setup from there. Always the same thing. During the early part of setup, the setup process halts with an error code 064A but with no text explanation or other message.

3. Same thing regardless if I try to load EMC 10.0 or 10.1. Curiously, I can load EMC8 with no problems.

4. I finally broke down and called Roxio paid support. The tech guy told me to do all of the above steps. When I told him that I had already done all of this, he said that he would email me with a much better solution. About 1/2 hour later I received the same instructions for a clean install that are already given elsewhere on this forum and which were the ones I already had told him that I had used. BTW, this call wound up costing $28.

5. I called Roxio again and asked to speak to the same tech rep, but was told that I must take whomever answers the phone and they would continue to charge me even though the first guy did not do anything to solve my problem. I declined to pay any more $$$, so they told me to use their online email-like facility that they have where you post a message and they respond to you the solution within 24 hours.

6. I posted a message describing indtail what had happened so far and they responded with the same instruction to do a clean install. They also said that if that didn't work, submit a follow-on message and they would offer other solutions. I have repeatedly submitted that follow-on info over the past month and received no further responses from Roxio. I also asked them to at least tell me what error code 064A means and they have never responded to that either. Now when I go to their communications page, they tell me that my problem case is more than five days old and it has been closed, even though they have been the ones to let it sit there.

I make and frequently update a lot of video presentations for friends and for company business. Since the various releases of EMC and MC are not compatible with each other at the project level, I NEED EMC10 to work. I am willing to buy MC10 if I could be comfortable that it is more stable than EMC10, and I can get it to edit projects started in EMC10, but that does not seem to be possible. I am also scared that I will experience the same absurd level of tech support if I run into problems.

I am unbelievably frustrated by this sequence of events. Please, Does anybody have ANY suggestions on where I should go from here?

Also try the following and then the clean (un)install procedure:

Go To Start

Click RUN

Type in msconfig

Go to Startup Tab

Disable All

Go To Services Tab

Hide Microsoft Services

Disable all

Apply

Ok

Then Restart

Install Roxio 10

Go into msconfig

Select Normal Start

Apply

Ok

Try installing with your anti-virus turned OFF (that's something a lot of people overlook)

As you know, the error code is a Microsoft error code. Per their site, that code equates to "064A ERROR_BAD_CONFIGURATION".

That leaves it open to interpretation - computer or program.

1) Are you trying to install/run from a network?

2) When you downloaded the orignal EMC 10, did you make a disc? Perhaps the download on your hard drive has been corrupted.

3) Are you using any kind of XP/Vista program that changes the appearance of the OS such as Windows Blinds?

4) Have you tweaked XP/Vista in any way?

5) Are you installing From/to your system drive?

6) Is your OS up to date with all the service packs?

7) Double check Microsoft Installer Clean up utility; Delete any Roxio and/ot Sonic application

8)Did you look at Revo Uninstaller listing of programs and see ANYTHING from Roxio or Sonic Solutions? Make a back up of your system drive and run that Unnstaller in the most stringent setting.

9) Are you running a regitry cleaner on a regular basis.

10) Whe you installed, did you stop all Roxio and Sonic services?

11) I know that you are installing from your administrator account. Have you tried to create a new account with administrator provileges and install from that account.

12) Are you using any other "packet writing programs" like drag2 disc?

13) Are you using any drive emulation programs?

14) Are you installing the original EMC 10 and then the updates after that - rebooting in between?

I invite others to add to this numbered list.

psbecker, please answer all of the above questions so we can narrow down the possibilities.

Edited by sknis