• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burned DVD - Stutters, Static Pops, Etc.

jethrodesign

Question

Hi, I'm trying endlessly to get a watchable DVD burned from some backed up TiVo shows. I know it's pretty messy, but I haven't given up hope yet!

My latest try came after finding out about the excellent GUI4FFMPEG tool to conver the TiVo shows into a more compatible format (352x480).

So I converted a couple TiVo mpeg2 files to this resolution and brought them into MyDVD (I have EMC 8). I setup a basic menu and burned an ISO image at 352x480 resolution, 9Mbps, Mpeg Audio at 192kbs, interlaced. I believe these settings were pretty close to what the original files were, so there would be no timely reconverting.

The ISO burned fine, and when mounted it's appears to play back correctly.

But when I burned the ISO image to DVD (using Disk Copier I believe), the resulting DVD when played back on my home DVD player has stutters and audio static pops/bursts (like the audio is switching between really quiet and a bit louder). It's just not smooth!

The DVD seems to play OK on my computer using Sonic CinePlayer. Didn't check it too thouroughly, though.

- Are there any settings or other advice I could use to possibly get a watchable DVD?

Thanks a lot. I've had EMC 8 for probably 2-3 months so far. I bought it specifically for backing up TiVo shows to DVD (what a joke!). But I have yet to get a single usable DVD yet! Please help!

7 answers to this question

DVDinfo Pro Pi, Pif,, Pof

Run it and post the Pi, Pif, Pof error #'s

4x Sony DVD-R Any other ideas???

Where do you buy 4x media now? Put the disc in DVDinfo Pro and post the MID media ID ( makers name and #'s). What is you burner ID string and firmware version, DVDinfo Pro should show this or in device manager click the plus next to CDDVDRom, right click the drive click properties. Post that too.

So maybe my standalone DVD player is a really picky one.

Post the name and model # and age.

cdanteek

Hi, I'm trying endlessly to get a watchable DVD burned from some backed up TiVo shows. I know it's pretty messy, but I haven't given up hope yet!

My latest try came after finding out about the excellent GUI4FFMPEG tool to conver the TiVo shows into a more compatible format (352x480).

So I converted a couple TiVo mpeg2 files to this resolution and brought them into MyDVD (I have EMC 8). I setup a basic menu and burned an ISO image at 352x480 resolution, 9Mbps, Mpeg Audio at 192kbs, interlaced. I believe these settings were pretty close to what the original files were, so there would be no timely reconverting.

The ISO burned fine, and when mounted it's appears to play back correctly.

But when I burned the ISO image to DVD (using Disk Copier I believe), the resulting DVD when played back on my home DVD player has stutters and audio static pops/bursts (like the audio is switching between really quiet and a bit louder). It's just not smooth!

The DVD seems to play OK on my computer using Sonic CinePlayer. Didn't check it too thouroughly, though.

- Are there any settings or other advice I could use to possibly get a watchable DVD?

Thanks a lot. I've had EMC 8 for probably 2-3 months so far. I bought it specifically for backing up TiVo shows to DVD (what a joke!). But I have yet to get a single usable DVD yet! Please help!

It could be as simple as using a different brand of media. Some of the set top players, especially older ones, don't like home made dvd's. Start off by using the brand the manufacturer suggests. If it plays ok on your computer, we can assume it's not a problem with what's on the disc.

Thanks for the feedback. I did try burning another DVD, this time using a brand new pack of 4x Sony DVD-R. It had the EXACT same issues. Even on the menu, the default music that Roxio puts on there sputters and gives me those static pops.

Rule #1 always check a disc that has trouble playing in a stand alone player, in a disc quality check tool. DVDinfo Pro Pi, Pif,, Pof , and DVDinfo Pro CDDVD CRC Read Error Test. Most problems with disc's will be answered using the tool.

So I tried using DVDinfo Pro on this DVD. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but I did run a CRC Read Error Test and it didn't detect any errors. Also, I compared the ISO file and the DVD. There weren't any differences.

And this DVD seems to play OK in my computer as well.

So maybe my standalone DVD player is a really picky one? It seems to me that I've played burned DVD-Rs before (made from a photo slide-show software). I'll try the disc in a different standalone player when I get a chance.

Any other ideas??? THANKS.

It could be as simple as using a different brand of media. Some of the set top players, especially older ones, don't like home made dvd's. Start off by using the brand the manufacturer suggests. If it plays ok on your computer, we can assume it's not a problem with what's on the disc.

Yeah. I'll give that a shot. I was using Memorex 4x DVD-Rs. Maybe I'll try a different brand or a DVD+R to see what happens.

- Any other things I might try if this doesn't do it?

And I'm wondering if encoding the audio as mpg instead of AC-3 is OK for older or basic DVDs. What's the standard for 2-track audio on DVDs? I used mpg because that's what the mpeg2 file had the audio encoded as and I didn't want Roxio to re-encode. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Yeah. I'll give that a shot. I was using Memorex 4x DVD-Rs. Maybe I'll try a different brand or a DVD+R to see what happens.

- Any other things I might try if this doesn't do it?

And I'm wondering if encoding the audio as mpg instead of AC-3 is OK for older or basic DVDs. What's the standard for 2-track audio on DVDs? I used mpg because that's what the mpeg2 file had the audio encoded as and I didn't want Roxio to re-encode. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Of all the various brands of recordable discs mentioned on these boards, Memorex has the worst reputation. I like Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden dics, but you may find that Imation or "whatever" brand works well for you too. It's a case of finding a brand that both your writer and reading devices like.

I suspect your audio settings are fine. Once you get a working setup, you can try one with AC-3 and another with .MPG, compare, and decide if you notice any difference.

Hope that helps!

But when I burned the ISO image to DVD (using Disk Copier I believe), the resulting DVD when played back on my home DVD player has stutters and audio static pops. Are there any settings or other advice I could use to possibly get a watchable DVD?

Rule #1 always check a disc that has trouble playing in a stand alone player, in a disc quality check tool. DVDinfo Pro Pi, Pif,, Pof , and DVDinfo Pro CDDVD CRC Read Error Test. Most problems with disc's will be answered using the tool.

I like Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden dics, but you may find that Imation or "whatever" brand works well for you too.

I use Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden disc's myself because there made by the same company and the same process, batch after batch. Imation, K-Hyper Media and others job lots out to different sources. You might get good disc's then bad. The disc Info tool in DVDinfo Pro will list the media ID and maker.

cdanteek

Thanks for the feedback. I did try burning another DVD, this time using a brand new pack of 4x Sony DVD-R. It had the EXACT same issues. Even on the menu, the default music that Roxio puts on there sputters and gives me those static pops.

So I tried using DVDinfo Pro on this DVD. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but I did run a CRC Read Error Test and it didn't detect any errors. Also, I compared the ISO file and the DVD. There weren't any differences.

And this DVD seems to play OK in my computer as well.

So maybe my standalone DVD player is a really picky one? It seems to me that I've played burned DVD-Rs before (made from a photo slide-show software). I'll try the disc in a different standalone player when I get a chance.

Any other ideas??? THANKS.

It's entirely possible that your standalone player doesn't much care for burned discs. Also try some DVD+R discs, it may like those better. At this point, you've tried Memorex and Sony discs. That's two brands... the third may be the charm. (Or the fourth...)

Archived