• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

videorama

SD cards = Jittery recording

I have recently purchased a Panasonic SDR - S26 camcorder. Problem is the recorded files are very jittery, not like hand shake but more like a very electric look or as though recording at the extended speed setting (but it is in XP). I took the cam and card to store and several camcorders (including a $1200 Sony) exhibit the same thing. Tried several modes (iA, stabilizer on/of - no change.

I'm recording on a Sandisk 2GB, class 2.

Is this by virtue of File writing vs: old time digital tape?

If there is no fix for this then I will return the cam as it is not acceptable to me. Please offer whatever you can think of.

I have recently purchased a Panasonic SDR - S26 camcorder. Problem is the recorded files are very jittery, not like hand shake but more like a very electric look or as though recording at the extended speed setting (but it is in XP). I took the cam and card to store and several camcorders (including a $1200 Sony) exhibit the same thing. Tried several modes (iA, stabilizer on/of - no change.

I'm recording on a Sandisk 2GB, class 2.

Is this by virtue of File writing vs: old time digital tape?

If there is no fix for this then I will return the cam as it is not acceptable to me. Please offer whatever you can think of.

Have you thought about contacting Panasonic?

Have you thought about contacting Panasonic?

Thanks for the response!

It appears to be beyond the camcorder because the jitters are the same in several different camcorders even a high end Sony. In fact, my Canon Optura 20 (which has beautiful DV tape recordings) does it on the card. But I certainly will talk with Panasonic if I don't get any resolution about the card because the Panasonic is a really cool camcorder and I would love to keep it but not unless I get a fix for this situation.

The play back exhibits jitters (like when the news anchor wears a striped tie or tweed jacket and it all shimmers on the TV screen) along the edges of all contracting lines so I figure it is more applicable to the card. No, actually, the jitters are more like the old silent movies that moved in small increments. It is noticeable when ever there is movement and especially when zooming.

Sad to say - I just don't know much about it and but I know the there is quite a knowledgeable group here and hope that someone can shed some light on the subject. I just wonder if a higher class (Class 4 or 6) would record faster thus eliminating the jitters.

Edited by videorama

Thanks for the response!

It appears to be beyond the camcorder because the jitters are the same in several different camcorders even a high end Sony. In fact, my Canon Optura 20 (which has beautiful DV tape recordings) does it on the card. But I certainly will talk with Panasonic if I don't get any resolution about the card because the Panasonic is a really cool camcorder and I would love to keep it but not unless I get a fix for this situation.

The play back exhibits jitters (like when the news anchor wears a striped tie or tweed jacket and it all shimmers on the TV screen) along the edges of all contracting lines so I figure it is more applicable to the card. No, actually, the jitters are more like the old silent movies that moved in small increments. It is noticeable when ever there is movement and especially when zooming.

Sad to say - I just don't know much about it and but I know the there is quite a knowledgeable group here and hope that someone can shed some light on the subject. I just wonder if a higher class (Class 4 or 6) would record faster thus eliminating the jitters.

You could try a Class 6 card, if that camcorder takes SDHC cards, which I would think it does.

At any rate, the combination of the video camera, and the card, is your problem. And, I would still contact Panasonic.

You could try a Class 6 card, if that camcorder takes SDHC cards, which I would think it does.

At any rate, the combination of the video camera, and the card, is your problem. And, I would still contact Panasonic.

I talked to Panasonic and they said the Sandisk was a compatable card but suggested that it may not be operating correctly.

I borrowed a Panasonic 2 GB, Class 4 SDHC card and it does the same thing!

I just can't believe that these camcorders are out there with that poor of operation so I wonder what I'm doing wrong - 2 different cards in 2 different camcorders.

I talked to Panasonic and they said the Sandisk was a compatable card but suggested that it may not be operating correctly.

I borrowed a Panasonic 2 GB, Class 4 SDHC card and it does the same thing!

I just can't believe that these camcorders are out there with that poor of operation so I wonder what I'm doing wrong - 2 different cards in 2 different camcorders.

I have a feeling that you may not be doing anything wrong. First, look in your owners manual, and see if the camcorder takes SDHC cards.

Next, see if someone has a Transcend SDHC card that you could try. That is what I am using in my Nikon camera, and so far it has been ok, even in movie mode.

Read through your manual again, and see if there is something that you missed when setting up the record mode, even if you "know" that you have it set up correctly.

Also, see if the store will let you try a new Panasonic SDR-S26 camcorder, with a new SDHC card and a new regular SD card. It's worth a shot to see if it is just your video camera, or it is typical for that model video camera.

Thanks for the response!

I'll first say that I don't have a digital camcorder like you're using, or have looked at, but it sounds to me like simple "pixel artifacts" that come with a sharper digital recording as compared to analog. You could probably apply a very slight "blur" effect to the video to eliminate it in "post processing". It doesn't sound like a camera or card that's misbehaving, especially since you're seeing it on other cameras too. What are you playing this back on?

Just tossing that out here for comment.

I'll first say that I don't have a digital camcorder like you're using, or have looked at, but it sounds to me like simple "pixel artifacts" that come with a sharper digital recording as compared to analog. You could probably apply a very slight "blur" effect to the video to eliminate it in "post processing". It doesn't sound like a camera or card that's misbehaving, especially since you're seeing it on other cameras too. What are you playing this back on?

Just tossing that out here for comment.

Thanks to both of you for the input!

I have used "Real One" player, Windows Movie Player, and Roxio Player to view the recordings all with the same results.

I mulled this situation over several times in my sleep and decided, as have the two of you, that there is a reason for this beyond the camera and card. Had a plan to enable/disable all the different "modes". Did start out reading and setting up the camera as per the manual (line by line) as I being a retired aircraft maintenance engineer on the F/A-18 Hornet know the importance of "following the directions" and have told this to countless military personnel.

Low and behold I stumbled onto a mode that is "Initial Set-up". No mention in the manual of this except in the matrix of operational modes and even then it is obscure. So I selected "Yes" and wa-la! I can't recognize what exactly changed but what ever it was I now have a decent video recorder. I don't know how this was happening on ther other cameras too but as long as this camera works well I'm happy.

I'll have fun today experimenting with the camera (ever mindful of the "Initial Set-up" as a backdrop.

Oh on the card! For what it's worth, I found a site (www.mobiletechreview.com) that gives a technical review of cards. It's way over my head but they showed where the Panasonic produced cards have superior read/write speeds as compared to Toshiba produced cards. Only problem is they didn't list the twin sister cards for Panasonic - only the ones for Toshiba. I'll keep the Transcend brand in mind as well. You guys may find the review worth reading.

Thanks again for your thoughts. What a great help just to have a place to bounce things off of much less the return information. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... The Roxio Community forum is just terrific and, of course, it's you folks that make it that way!

Low and behold I stumbled onto a mode that is "Initial Set-up". No mention in the manual of this except in the matrix of operational modes and even then it is obscure. So I selected "Yes" and wa-la! I can't recognize what exactly changed but what ever it was I now have a decent video recorder. I don't know how this was happening on ther other cameras too but as long as this camera works well I'm happy.

Glad you've got it working more to your liking! I had one other thought, that maybe it was set up for high-speed action, such as a "sport" mode. Obviously, the idea is to capture a sharper image when there is motion present, by using a faster "shutter speed", but it can also create a "stop motion" effect, in real time.

Either way, glad you're happy!

Thanks to both of you for the input!

I have used "Real One" player, Windows Movie Player, and Roxio Player to view the recordings all with the same results.

I mulled this situation over several times in my sleep and decided, as have the two of you, that there is a reason for this beyond the camera and card. Had a plan to enable/disable all the different "modes". Did start out reading and setting up the camera as per the manual (line by line) as I being a retired aircraft maintenance engineer on the F/A-18 Hornet know the importance of "following the directions" and have told this to countless military personnel.

I'll have fun today experimenting with the camera (ever mindful of the "Initial Set-up" as a backdrop.

Oh on the card! For what it's worth, I found a site (www.mobiletechreview.com) that gives a technical review of cards. It's way over my head but they showed where the Panasonic produced cards have superior read/write speeds as compared to Toshiba produced cards. Only problem is they didn't list the twin sister cards for Panasonic - only the ones for Toshiba. I'll keep the Transcend brand in mind as well. You guys may find the review worth reading.

Thanks again for your thoughts. What a great help just to have a place to bounce things off of much less the return information. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... The Roxio Community forum is just terrific and, of course, it's you folks that make it that way!

It's great that you stumbled onto that Initial Set-up mode, and that solved the problem.

Now, a question. Does the video, that you said was jittery, play ok now, or did you record some new video as a test, and that is what plays well now?