I must be missing something in MyDVD

Jamie Ray

Question

Alright, the basics first...

I built a brand new PC. It's an AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz with 4.00 GB. I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit OS on a 1TB Toshiba drive. I purchased an installed Roxio Creator 2010 Version 1.2.193 w/ SP2 5.0.0.0. It's a wonderful machine and renders using less than 40% of my systems resources.

I have a bunch of family videos that I have captured into .avi files, anywhere from 30-45 minutes each. I open MyDVD, then import up to 4 movies, changing the fonts and stuff to make it look nice. I use an mp3 in a 45 second loop and the snippet of one video as the intro movie. Everything is fine up to this point, I can even preview it and use the up down arrows on the "remote" to select the title.

The problem comes in when I burn the DVD on a Sony DVD-R 8X using an HP LightScribe drive. The disc comes out fine, I pop it into one of 3 DVD players and it looks great EXCEPT none of the titles are lit up. Up and down don't select anything. Press OK and a title plays, and hit menu and it goes back to the menu. There isn't anyway to select what title you want to go to.

So, what am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Posting this again, hoping to snag some help...

Alright, the basics first...

I built a brand new PC. It's an AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz with 4.00 GB. I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit OS on a 1TB Toshiba SATA hard drive. I purchased and installed Roxio Creator 2010 and have updated to Version 1.2.193 w/ SP2 5.0.0.0. It's a wonderful machine and renders using less than 40% of my systems resources.

I have a bunch of family videos that I have captured into .avi files, anywhere from 30-45 minutes each. I open MyDVD (Build 121B93A ENU), then import up to 4 movies, changing the fonts and stuff to make it look nice. I use an mp3 in a 45 second loop and the snippet of one video as the intro movie. Everything is fine up to this point, I can even preview it and use the up down arrows on the "remote" to select the title, play it and even go back to the virtual menu.

The problem comes in when I burn the DVD on a Sony DVD-R 8X using an HP LightScribe drive. The disc comes out fine, I pop it into one of 3 DVD players and it looks great EXCEPT none of the titles are lit up. Up and down don't select anything. Press OK and a title plays, and hit menu and it goes back to the menu. There isn't anyway to select what title you want to go to.

So, what am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know one of you guys has got to have the answer.

Thanks in advance

It's not your PC so try something else.

All the details on your MyDVD project, that themes-fonts-titles per page-chapters etc.

Does it work in Preview?

Does it work on your PC?

First off, thanks so much for responding to me. This has really got me frustrated. I've got a ton of old VHS, and even some Super 8 I want to transfer to DVD, and this is a major stumbling block for me.

I captured the movies from home video using a Haupagge USB2 video capture device, edited and saved as avi. (I think they have 4 or 5 chapters each. I'll have to look tonight when I get home.) I start off with the default theme, change the background image to one I created, and then I import a movie, change the font to Bank Gothic, usually decrease the font size, line it up where I want, then repeat the process. I only have 4 movies/titles per disc. I've also used 3 different types of blank DVDs to burn on.

It does run in Preview mode. The intro video plays, the music comes on, and one title is a different color from the other three. I can click the up/down buttons on the virtual remote, and it will cycle through the different titles, click OK and it plays it right away, Menu brings you back. Doesn't work that way with the burned disc, though.

I haven't tried it in my PC yet. Didn't think of that. I'll post the result.

OK!

Some of these are hard to see unless you change the scheme…

post-39730-1267045710.jpg

Likewise, moving buttons can produce some really bizarre behavior! That is why I suggest the Defaults as a test.

Ok, I created a disc with all default settings, nothing fancy. Same thing. I did notice that if you hit enter, the first title plays. Hit Menu, and it goes back. Hit down arrow once, then enter, and it plays the second title, menu back, then down and enter for the third title. Nothing ever changes color, but it seems to be acting correctly.

Oh, and same thing in my PC.

So, what do you think? Have you ever heard of this? Is there a project template I can download to see if it is my settings?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I created a disc with all default settings, nothing fancy. Same thing. I did notice that if you hit enter, the first title plays. Hit Menu, and it goes back. Hit down arrow once, then enter, and it plays the second title, menu back, then down and enter for the third title. Nothing ever changes color, but it seems to be acting correctly.

Oh, and same thing in my PC.

So, what do you think? Have you ever heard of this? Is there a project template I can download to see if it is my settings?

Thanks in advance.

I have yet to make one that doesn't work… But I have not tried every combination!

But without knowing what Menu Style you are using and what Button Style (if changed) I can't even begin to try to duplicate it.

In the picture I am using the stock BlueSilver and the buttons that go with it. It works.

Likewise did you try changing the Button highlight scheme as I indicated?

One other 'trick'… Tools – Options – Render, change it to Software.