• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

videowave remove unwanted portion of video

jayrwv

Question

I have read two previous posts about removing unwanted clips from a video. One mentioned using the blue arrow-splits; the other mentioned that each clip to be removed should have an orange line around it.

When I open the video (recorded TV program) the video shows as one 'clip'. The entire TV program is displayed with no images. I can view the recorded file in the preview pane but I cannot seem to set a start point and end point so that I can remove unwanted portions (ie: commercials).

Can anyone straighten me out on what I must be doing wrong?

I am using EMC 8 Suite on a Dell computer less than a year old.

I can't seem to find the help in the online help files for videowave or in the forums.

Thanks

Jayrwv

7 answers to this question

Thank you smervine and ggrussell. I would never have figured it out on my own. I did delete a section of the recording that I did not want successfully. I did have some problem trying to delete another section but I think I am ok with it. After deleteing a segment it seems to start the recording at the beginning rather than at the place of the deleted section.

I will work with it some more and see for sure what is going on. But I am happy to be able to do what I want with the recorded TV program.

Thanks again. You guys are such a great resource..

jayrwv

Thanks Gary and smervine. Those suggestions do make it work. But it seems a bit of a clumsy operation. But it does the job. It takes so long to do an hour of video. Maybe with experience it will get easier. Thanks again for such great help.

Jayrwv

I have read two previous posts about removing unwanted clips from a video. One mentioned using the blue arrow-splits; the other mentioned that each clip to be removed should have an orange line around it.

When I open the video (recorded TV program) the video shows as one 'clip'. The entire TV program is displayed with no images. I can view the recorded file in the preview pane but I cannot seem to set a start point and end point so that I can remove unwanted portions (ie: commercials).

Can anyone straighten me out on what I must be doing wrong?

I am using EMC 8 Suite on a Dell computer less than a year old.

I can't seem to find the help in the online help files for videowave or in the forums.

Thanks

Jayrwv

Hi Jayrwv,

To remove unwanted commercials, try this:

1. Open videowave and navigate to the video file in the media selector window

2. Drag the video to the video track

3. In the timeline view, play the video or drag the blue marker to the beginning of the section you want to delete.

4. Right click the mouse and select Split

5. Now play the video to the end of the section you want to delete, point to the video, right click, and select split.

6. Point to the section of the video you want to delete, right click, and select Delete. You should be left with only the section you want to save.

7. Repeat the above for each commercial

Hope that helps

Thank you smervine and ggrussell. I would never have figured it out on my own. I did delete a section of the recording that I did not want successfully. I did have some problem trying to delete another section but I think I am ok with it. After deleteing a segment it seems to start the recording at the beginning rather than at the place of the deleted section.

I will work with it some more and see for sure what is going on. But I am happy to be able to do what I want with the recorded TV program.

Thanks again. You guys are such a great resource..

jayrwv

I am still having some problems. I am sure most of the problem is my inability to figure some things out. I do wonder if (when I open a video from my hard drive) I am supposed to see the video represented in clips. I see an initial image followed by a gray clip for the duration of the video. I do not see individual clips in that timeline tray. Am I missing something. Or is that normal? I can click on 'play' and watch the video and stop it when it gets to the place where I want to do a 'split'. But it very difficult to know exactly where to stop. I'd appreciate it if someone knows what the heck I am missing here.

jayrwv

After deleteing a segment it seems to start the recording at the beginning rather than at the place of the deleted section.
Yes, a very annoying 'feature' and on my wish list to get fixed in the next version. :)

supposed to see the video represented in clips.
Not unless you have used scene detect on the file. It's much easier to 'see' individual clips in storyboard mode because they are represented by individual panels.

In the TIMELINE mode, each clip is represented with a small thumbnail of the first frame with the filename. The 'selected' clip has the yellow-orange line around it. In my example, I placed 3 copies of the same clip so you could see them. The middle one is selected. How much of the thumbnail and filename you can see depends on the zoom level.

Zoom in as far as you can to be more precise in placing the blue line where you want to split a clip.

post-49-1150490960.jpg

I can click on 'play' and watch the video and stop it when it gets to the place where I want to do a 'split'. But it very difficult to know exactly where to stop.

jayrwv

Gary answered your other questions, but to "tweak" the split location, play the video to close to where you want to split and the press stop (pause). Use the Previous Frame/Next Frame button in the preview window to get the exact location (see screen shot).

Hope that helps.

post-72-1150503033.jpg

Archived