• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Transfer from VHS to a regular DVD (4.7)

JERPAUL

Question

Just bought easy VHS to DVD and it's loaded. I assumed that you can just capture a 2 hr VHS tape from your VCR and then burn to a DVD. Well either I'm doing something wrong or this isn't the right product. No problem capturing, however I end up with over 28 G's. How can I ever get that on a DVD that max's at 4.7 G.

Am I missing something or was I duped into thinking this would be a good program to transfer kid's wedding pics and VHS tapes etc. to a more lasting DVD.

HELP!

JERPAUL

4 answers to this question

Just bought easy VHS to DVD and it's loaded. I assumed that you can just capture a 2 hr VHS tape from your VCR and then burn to a DVD. Well either I'm doing something wrong or this isn't the right product. No problem capturing, however I end up with over 28 G's. How can I ever get that on a DVD that max's at 4.7 G.

Am I missing something or was I duped into thinking this would be a good program to transfer kid's wedding pics and VHS tapes etc. to a more lasting DVD.

HELP!

JERPAUL

You Assumed Wrong, a regular DVD cannot hold 2 hours of DVD Movie…

Good news is that Capture Size has nothing to do with Burn size…

DVD Time – DVD Capacity

4.7Gb:

HQ = 1:06

SP = 1:37

LP = 2:22

ELP = 3:04

8.5 Gb:

HQ = 2:00

SP = 2:57

LP = 4:19

ELP = 5:35

Notice that everything is measured in TIME. However, QUALITY varies drastically when you try to pack too much on:

DVD Quality:

HQ = 720 X 480 @ 9Mbps

SP = 352 X 240 @ 6Mbps

LP = 352 X 240 @ 4Mbps

ELP = 352 X 240 @ 3Mbps

Putting it bluntly, keep your 4.7 DVD's to HQ at 1 hour per disc… When you capture from a VHS tape your not even starting with much quality, so it really falls apart fast when you degrade it farther by trying to get more time on a disc.

Good idea to get some DVD RW's to practice on, since they can be erased and reused.

You Assumed Wrong, a regular DVD cannot hold 2 hours of DVD Movie…

Good news is that Capture Size has nothing to do with Burn size…

DVD Time – DVD Capacity

4.7Gb:

HQ = 1:06

SP = 1:37

LP = 2:22

ELP = 3:04

8.5 Gb:

HQ = 2:00

SP = 2:57

LP = 4:19

ELP = 5:35

Notice that everything is measured in TIME. However, QUALITY varies drastically when you try to pack too much on:

DVD Quality:

HQ = 720 X 480 @ 9Mbps

SP = 352 X 240 @ 6Mbps

LP = 352 X 240 @ 4Mbps

ELP = 352 X 240 @ 3Mbps

Putting it bluntly, keep your 4.7 DVD's to HQ at 1 hour per disc… When you capture from a VHS tape your not even starting with much quality, so it really falls apart fast when you degrade it farther by trying to get more time on a disc.

Good idea to get some DVD RW's to practice on, since they can be erased and reused.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm still not sure what settings.... I captured the VHS using DV and set the time for 2:17:00 hrs which was the tape length.... I did properties and it showed over 28.8 GB's. Are you saying I should capture with HQ and set it for 1 hour, instead of doing the total VHS tape capture first. How many DVD's would I then need to see this one 2 hr SP tape? Would you be able to tell me what settings I should use and results expected. If I understand you, it looks like (2) 4.7gb discs should do it, or if I were to get some 8.5gb disc's maybe one would work after some editing on the capture before burning. I do appreciate your help on this since we have quite a few family memories we would want to transfer. I kept looking at the 28 plus gb's and thinking that it would take 6 plus DVD's just to view one 2 hr. tape....

Thank you once again and looking forward to your direction...

JERPAUL :)

Thank you for your feedback. I'm still not sure what settings.... I captured the VHS using DV and set the time for 2:17:00 hrs which was the tape length.... I did properties and it showed over 28.8 GB's. Are you saying I should capture with HQ and set it for 1 hour, instead of doing the total VHS tape capture first. How many DVD's would I then need to see this one 2 hr SP tape? Would you be able to tell me what settings I should use and results expected. If I understand you, it looks like (2) 4.7gb discs should do it, or if I were to get some 8.5gb disc's maybe one would work after some editing on the capture before burning. I do appreciate your help on this since we have quite a few family memories we would want to transfer. I kept looking at the 28 plus gb's and thinking that it would take 6 plus DVD's just to view one 2 hr. tape....

Thank you once again and looking forward to your direction...

JERPAUL :)

I don't know what hat your pulling 6 DVD's out of??? I gave you a list of DVD capacities…

Some recommend shorter captures, but I do not use them myself… I always capture using the DV setting and capture full length. (I never, ever, do Plug & Burn!)

I do make the split or splits I need in VideoWave and create separate projects of 1 hour length to fit on 4.7 DVD's.

I am doing a similar project right now consisting of a 1:48 VHS tape of converted 8mm movies!

In the process (not done) I did some more testing to find the best since some of these are going to family with regular CRT TV's and DVD's while others are going to Blu-ray and some to large LCD TV's but DVD…

After trying different things I decided to split around the 45 minute mark and make 2 DVDs and 1 BD project to address the different players. I tried the lower quality to get them to fit but it wasn't worth watching…

You can only use a DL DVD if you have a burner that supports them! A regular burner will convert them to trash…

Even if you do, your 2:17 is not going to fit at HQ and won't be worth watching at SP…

I will not tell you how to do it, that is your choice but I highly recommend the RW as test media to see what will work for you and yours.

Jerpaul: It is the duration of the video that matters, not the file size of the captured video. That is what Jim is trying to tell you. So a standard DVD can hold about an hour video in HQ setting.

Jim, the poster arrived at 6 DVDs by dividing the size of the captured video (28 gb) by the size of a standard DVD (4.7gb).

Edited by malatekid