• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

defining start time of 1st track in Spin Doctor

froobs

Question

After importing music from vynil into Spin Doctor, I want to make the start time of the first track just before the music starts, therefore illiminating the section of surface noise before the music starts. This cannot be done if this (stylus to music) time is less than four seconds. The info. button to refine start time will not accept a time below four seconds either. As far as I can see, the only way to do this would be to make sure that there is more than four seconds before the track actually starts when introducing the music to Spin Doctor. Even if this means lifting the arm off the record and relacing it when making the recording initially. Then, when sending this recording to Spin Doctor you will have more than four seconds so that you can then illiminate it and therefore start your digital recording right at the beginning of the music starting, as when tracking and illiminating surface sound inbetween tracks. Unless I'm missing some information? If so can someone help please?

9 answers to this question

You can manually adjust the track start and stop points. I'm not sure what the 4-second issue is you're referring to. You can start a track anywhere.

You might want to go into Spin Doctor preferences, click the waveform and tracks icon and uncheck the box next to "Limit zoom range...." Then you'll be able to zoom in tighter to see the exact moment the music begins.

:):huh: Thanks for your reply.

You said, 'You can start a track anywhere' and you can, but not until after the first 4 seconds of input. The four second issue is therefore simply this: after importing music into Spin Doctor, if you want to eliminate the vinyl surface sound before the music starts, and thereby create a 'clean start' where your music begins, you would want to be able to make a track out of the few seconds it takes for the stylus to follow the grooves to reach the first track of the album so that you can later edit this out after sending the finished digitalised music to Toast, but you cannot because the first track has to be more than 4 seconds.

Now, this doesn't matter most of the time, especially if importing music from CDs etc. where there wouldn't be background i.e. vinyl surface sound, but is does if you want to eliminate surface sound from analogue vinyl records. Obviously, you are bound to hear more track noise when there is no music playing than when there is music playing and it is this sound before the music starts at the very beginning of my imported music that I want to eliminate. I apologise at my now over elaborate explanation, but I'm surprised no one has bothered with this. I'm using Spin Doctor 3 with Toast 7. I mentioned this to Greg Coyne (most will know his useful article: http://www.applelinks.com/p5/index.php/mor...12_to_12_in_12/ ) and he'd overlooked it too. I was just wondering if anyone had found a way of solving this apart from a solution as mentioned in my first post. Perhaps it's only my Spin Doctor that behaves like this?!!! Would somebody try it please and let me know that I'm not going mad!!

Hi! I think I'm starting to get it. Why not start the recording before starting the record. You can always take it out later.

What I'm doing is starting the recording in CD Spin Doctor 3 before I start the record. By the time I have gotton over to the record to start it, that 4 second lead is more like 15 to 20 seconds. That gives me plenty of time afterwards to put in an extra track that I can take out later. BTW, when tsantee said you can start a track anywhere, that includes the first track. Once I have my tracks manually selected, I highlight each one. Then I can "grab" the front of the individual track that I selected and move it left or right till I get it right where I want it to start. This has worked for me great. No or very little surface noise.

Thanks everyone.

That's what I realised I should have done when it was too late; I was just hoping someone would know a quick fix. My problem was that all my vinyl albums and deck are still up at my parents house 160 miles away and I'd recorded hours of music when I was last up there onto cds ready to put through Spin Doctor when I got back to my house. Then I discovered...

Ah well, back to those old albums.

I see now what you are getting at. The solution is simple. Make your first track so that it begins at the start of the wave form and continues to the end of the track. Now drag the bar at the start of the track you created to the right until it is aligned to where the music begins. You'll see the noisy first few seconds is now not part of any track (white background). Do the same thing between tracks. Just drag the track markers so the noisy part isn't inside any track.

:):huh: Thanks for your reply.

You said, 'You can start a track anywhere' and you can, but not until after the first 4 seconds of input. The four second issue is therefore simply this: after importing music into Spin Doctor, if you want to eliminate the vinyl surface sound before the music starts, and thereby create a 'clean start' where your music begins, you would want to be able to make a track out of the few seconds it takes for the stylus to follow the grooves to reach the first track of the album so that you can later edit this out after sending the finished digitalised music to Toast, but you cannot because the first track has to be more than 4 seconds.

Now, this doesn't matter most of the time, especially if importing music from CDs etc. where there wouldn't be background i.e. vinyl surface sound, but is does if you want to eliminate surface sound from analogue vinyl records. Obviously, you are bound to hear more track noise when there is no music playing than when there is music playing and it is this sound before the music starts at the very beginning of my imported music that I want to eliminate. I apologise at my now over elaborate explanation, but I'm surprised no one has bothered with this. I'm using Spin Doctor 3 with Toast 7. I mentioned this to Greg Coyne (most will know his useful article: http://www.applelinks.com/p5/index.php/mor...12_to_12_in_12/ ) and he'd overlooked it too. I was just wondering if anyone had found a way of solving this apart from a solution as mentioned in my first post. Perhaps it's only my Spin Doctor that behaves like this?!!! Would somebody try it please and let me know that I'm not going mad!!

Hi! I think I'm starting to get it. Why not start the recording before starting the record. You can always take it out later.

What I'm doing is starting the recording in CD Spin Doctor 3 before I start the record. By the time I have gotton over to the record to start it, that 4 second lead is more like 15 to 20 seconds. That gives me plenty of time afterwards to put in an extra track that I can take out later. BTW, when tsantee said you can start a track anywhere, that includes the first track. Once I have my tracks manually selected, I highlight each one. Then I can "grab" the front of the individual track that I selected and move it left or right till I get it right where I want it to start. This has worked for me great. No or very little surface noise.

Ah, that's what you're on about. Yes, just hit Record and then put the needle on the record. When it's finished with side 1 hit Pause (not Stop). Turn the record over and hit Record again. At the end of Side 2 hit Stop. Now you've got one large file for the whole record. When editing tracks you can have them line up exactly, handy when there are no real breaks. Commands are in the Menu bar. When done you can export the defined tracks only, so it doesn't really matter if you recorded a lot of extra noise in the beginning or the end.

Oh, you might take a look at ClickRepair, it works a treat! It's here:

http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~briand/sound/

Thanks everyone.

That's what I realised I should have done when it was too late; I was just hoping someone would know a quick fix. My problem was that all my vinyl albums and deck are still up at my parents house 160 miles away and I'd recorded hours of music when I was last up there onto cds ready to put through Spin Doctor when I got back to my house. Then I discovered...

Ah well, back to those old albums.

You don't need a 4+ second dead space at the start of the recording. Just don't start your first track marker until the music begins. If you only had a half-second of noise ahead of the first track, just drag the track marker one-half second to the right and there won't be any of that included with the track. Here is an example:

post-120-1150432286.png

You don't need a 4+ second dead space at the start of the recording. Just don't start your first track marker until the music begins. If you only had a half-second of noise ahead of the first track, just drag the track marker one-half second to the right and there won't be any of that included with the track. Here is an example:

post-120-1150432286.png

:) tsantee, thank you for your persistence, you've solved this for me now and I'm very grateful.

When I started trying to get a track from the beginning of the waveform , Spin Doctor would keep jumping to a minimum starting time of 4 seconds into the recording. It wouldn't stop doing this. The only way I was able to get around this was to start tracking the first album track from where it ends, and then when looking back to the beginning of the track (it was obviously starting at 0.00.00) I was able to drag the start of the track to the right to where the wave form starts, (as you said) and it stayed there! It was the first time I've seen it do that and it was great! Solved! Your screen shot was a great help.

So that's how I'm doing it from now on. I hope this has helped others to sort this out. You don't actually need to have a long dead space to edit out at the beginning after all.

You can manually adjust the track start and stop points. I'm not sure what the 4-second issue is you're referring to. You can start a track anywhere.

You might want to go into Spin Doctor preferences, click the waveform and tracks icon and uncheck the box next to "Limit zoom range...." Then you'll be able to zoom in tighter to see the exact moment the music begins.

Excellent suggestion! :) I've been using Spin Doctor like crazy lately and didn't know about that "Limit zoom range" ! I love it.

Something that I found on the deep sea sofware website (the people who made Spin Doctor) is some tips 'n trix. One of them is a list of Keyboard shortcuts for Track Manipulation. You can find it at www.deepseasoftware.com/tipsntrix/

Thanks!

Archived