Vibes

videoconvert12.exe crash

Question

I could use some help trying to get Roxio Creator 2010...um...TO WORK! I know, silly rabbit...

I have tried for over one week to use all of Roxio’s “Customer Service” options (again, silly rabbit), including Help Tickets, Live Chat, live phone call...each with less success and more frustration than the last! This forum format seems to be the most successful option for other people, so here goes:

First the basic info...

Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

Pentium D CPU

2.8 Ghz

1 GB RAM

70GB free space

As you can tell, I am not a computer expert. I have only a basic understanding of this stuff, so I apologize in advance. I have only one thing I want this software to do: convert TiVo files (.vob) to Windows Media files (.wmv) viewable on a portable data terminal that has Media Player loaded, but no TiVo support programs (hence the .wmv format which is playable). Roxio’s Call Center assured me that Creator 2010 would do exactly this when I called them BEFORE buying the software (silly rabbit).

Ready for more silly-ness? I simply dropped the CD in, installed the software with no visible problem, and thought it would work!?!? I know, naive! I selected an original video file, even clipped/cut the video, and previewed the video, again, with no visible problem. After changing the output format from MPEG to WMV, I previewed the output video. A conversion window popped up for about 5-10 seconds, and then I got the following error message:

“Roxio VideoConvert has encountered a problem and needs to close...” followed by the “...want to report to MicroSoft...” opportunity. The error details show:

Error signature

AppName: videoconvert12.exe

The convert window then closed and went back to Creator’s home window. I then tried all of the above again, this time without trying to preview the output video. When I tried to convert, I got a message stating that my output device did not have enough memory. I am trying to download to a 8 GB USB flash drive with at least 5 GB free memory!?!? So I go through the steps above AGAIN, this time specifying an output file on the computer rather than a device. I also did no extra ANYTHING...no previewing, no clipping, directly to convert. You guessed it, same error.

Next, I tried to "repair" Creator from Add/Remove. The program would not complete, and simply stopped. Next, I uninstalled and reinstalled Creator 2010. Same problems. I generated a Help Ticket ($1.89/min for customer service on a product I purchased...I know, silly rabbit!?!?!?). No answer from Roxio. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the software again and deleted all files/folders I could find associated with Roxio. Same error. Next, the rants began on multiple tickets. Still no response from Roxio beyond “...we have received your ticket...”. So a little bit of research, and I find a few Help documents, and do the following:

Add/Remove Roxio; Windows Installer Clean up Utility any “Roxio”, “Sonic”, “EMC”, or “SmartSound”; Disable All in “msconfig”; shut off anti-virus and firewall programs; show Hidden Files and delete all Roxio/Sonic-related files; empty Recycle Bin; clear browser history and cookies; tweek Registry Files (per Roxio’s direction); update Windows system; check video/audio/CD/DVD drivers (message indicated that no better version found). Guess what? SAME ERROR MESSAGE!!!!! After a few more days (silly rabbit!), Roxio finally gets back to me, and “suggests”...ready for it...the same thing!?!? So because I didn’t have anything better to do for an entire night, I go through the entire “Clean Uninstall/Install”, this time with the added steps of: update DirectX; update Media Player; install .net framework 3.5; update Adobe flash player. Guess what: SAME ERROR MESSAGE!!!!!

I give up, and apparently, so does Roxio given their lack of response to any of my tickets!?!? From what I’m reading, problems are nothing new for this software, so I’m betting that someone out there has run into this problem before. Any suggestions on fixing this...please?

I may have found a repair for Videowave 12 crashing. I am using Windows 7, I tried everything from removal, cleanup apps, registry, reinstalling. Weeks on this problem. Then I updated my Net Framework. No more crashing. I am finally using videowave, creator 2010 without issues. I'm Lov'in it!!

Edited by GarryE

I may have found a repair for Videowave 12 crashing. I am using Windows 7, I tried everything from removal, cleanup apps, registry, reinstalling. Weeks on this problem. Then I updated my Net Framework. No more crashing. I am finally using videowave, creator 2010 without issues. I'm Lov'in it!!

What Version of .NET did you upgrade to! I'm running 3.5.1 (SP1) in my Windows 7.

I can't upgrade from that, that I know of?

If you found an upgrade beyound that let me know!

Thanks for the advice!

What Version of .NET did you upgrade to! I'm running 3.5.1 (SP1) in my Windows 7.

I can't upgrade from that, that I know of?

If you found an upgrade beyound that let me know!

Thanks for the advice!

I had the same question.

There is a .NET version 4 release candidate out there. But I hardly think that this is the answer to a problem like this.

I had the same question.

There is a .NET version 4 release candidate out there. But I hardly think that this is the answer to a problem like this.

I agree that I don't think that is the answer. Per Roxio's instructions, I also upgraded to the newest version of .NET that I could find. No success.

The only resolution I got for this problem from Roxio is that I just received my refund check from Roxio in the mail yesterday! How's that for a software company showing confidence in their product: I purchase the software from a retail computer store, I try to get Roxio to help get the program working, and instead, they purchase the software back from me in spite of the fact that I didn't even buy it from them!?!?!?!? Oh well, at least I got my money back!

ME

I agree that I don't think that is the answer. Per Roxio's instructions, I also upgraded to the newest version of .NET that I could find. No success.

The only resolution I got for this problem from Roxio is that I just received my refund check from Roxio in the mail yesterday! How's that for a software company showing confidence in their product: I purchase the software from a retail computer store, I try to get Roxio to help get the program working, and instead, they purchase the software back from me in spite of the fact that I didn't even buy it from them!?!?!?!? Oh well, at least I got my money back!

ME

You got your money back?

When I tried it last time around, the fine print for the on-line fulfilment agency effectively said "get lost".

It seemed to need written letters to a post box somewhere in the middle of Outer Mongolia.

You got your money back?

When I tried it last time around, the fine print for the on-line fulfilment agency effectively said "get lost".

It seemed to need written letters to a post box somewhere in the middle of Outer Mongolia.

I think I was lucky on that one too! I think if it had not been for a screw-up on one of the Help Centers representatives, Roxio would have ran with my money, said "Thank You", followed by a "Screw You!" This, even after I pointed out to them that one of their service reps guaranteed me that Creator 2010 would convert TiVo files to .wmv before I purchased the software!!!!! Fortunate for me, I had a trascription from one of my many Help Tickets where a rep told me that she would check to see if there was a fix, that she did not think there was a fix, and that if there wasn't a fix, she would take care of getting my money refunded to me. Roxio didn't cut me a check until I pointed this second assurance out to them!

Hopefully, someone will do their research, see the kind of "Customer Service" they can expect from Roxio, and go somewhere else!!!!!

ME

I think I was lucky on that one too! I think if it had not been for a screw-up on one of the Help Centers representatives, Roxio would have ran with my money, said "Thank You", followed by a "Screw You!" This, even after I pointed out to them that one of their service reps guaranteed me that Creator 2010 would convert TiVo files to .wmv before I purchased the software!!!!! Fortunate for me, I had a trascription from one of my many Help Tickets where a rep told me that she would check to see if there was a fix, that she did not think there was a fix, and that if there wasn't a fix, she would take care of getting my money refunded to me. Roxio didn't cut me a check until I pointed this second assurance out to them!

Hopefully, someone will do their research, see the kind of "Customer Service" they can expect from Roxio, and go somewhere else!!!!!

ME

I was told they will send me a check also.

I went through the Support with my questions about the Trim hanging and was offered a refund.

I took it! Although I would have preffered a Fix.