• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Captured video corrupted?

mdarch

Question

I've captured some video from a TV card, and the MPG file created plays fine with WMP and WMC, but when I load it into videowave to edit it, I just get a garbled screen. Same if I try to make a DVD from it, or convert it to another format. Yet other video captured the same way is fine. This has happened with a few files, but not others for some reason.

Any ideas?

using Creator 2010, Windows 7

5 answers to this question

I've captured some video from a TV card, and the MPG file created plays fine with WMP and WMC, but when I load it into videowave to edit it, I just get a garbled screen. Same if I try to make a DVD from it, or convert it to another format. Yet other video captured the same way is fine. This has happened with a few files, but not others for some reason.

Any ideas?

using Creator 2010, Windows 7

You need to be more specific where the files come from.

They could have some type of protection where you can view them but not edit or burn them...

cd

they are captured via playback from PVR thru computer TV card

oddly, the files that can't be edited - well, they can be edited, but the image is like pixelated snow (how do I post images?) - all have nothing listed under the details tab for their properties

ie, for a file that is OK, if you right click and choose properties (in explorer for example), and then the details tab, under Video it will list the length, frame width, frame height, data rate etc. Also has data for Audio. But the files that seem corrupted (though will still play OK) have these sections of the details tab blank, no data apart from the file name etc under File

these are episodes from one series, so I don't think there would be copy protection on only certain episodes

I do not mean any disrespect for the experts that help on this forum, as I am no expert. I will try to give you some insight from my point of view. If the capture was not done with Roxio, that is the first thing I would try. If that is no longer a possibility then a couple of things that may need to be looked at are:

1) use GSpot to check the codecs on these files : http://www.videohelp.com/tools/GSpot

2) If those appear to be OK, then try to play the clip in GSpot - it has the ability to play the video, too

3) There is a possibility that the file is corrupted in some way. Repair the file - VideoReDo Plus can repair the stream, check their website for a free trial download. There may be other software that can do it also, but I am not ware of them.

4) Since you are using Windows 7, did you make WMC the recording software? It uses a new file format ( .wtv ) from previous versions of WMC and it could be the file is not handled correctly, of course GSpot would have told you that also. See a discussion here: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=59420

ok, checked with Gspot, codecs all ok (as I said, the clips play OK, it was just trying to edit or for that matter burn onto a DVD that wouldn't show the image)

tried Videoredo, worked a treat, great little program. Once edited with that, I could then open the resulting file in Roxio editor where it looks fine, so I don't know whar Roxio is doing in the first place, but this will work as a work around to repair the corrupted files

thanks

meanwhile, any ideas from Roxio about what is causing the problem in the first place?