• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video from DVR player

videovirgin

Question

If the files on on an internal memory or a memory stick, plug the camera in to your computer and simply use Windows to copy the files to a folder on your hard drive. As an alternate, if they are on a memory stick, remove it from the camera and use a memory card reader to copy the files to your computer.

Use Edit Video-Advance (Video Wave) to edit the files. You should be able to just select the mp4 files and add them to a timeline. After you have added and edited the files as you want, save the project, close Video wave and open Create DVD. Add the project(s) there to burn to a DVD.

Here are some basic videos to help you along. (courtesy of karri).

Let us know how you are coming along or need more help.

A related question (I think). I'm trying to convert Sony MiniDV camcorder home movies to digital video files. Using a Panasonic DVR, I recorded about 13 minutes of video onto a DVD-R, then finalized the DVD-R so it could play on PCs and other DVD players. The DVD works fine. I purchased Easy DVD Copy Premier as a download (version number is not on it as far as I can tell) yesterday, but it looks a lot like version 4 from what I can see.

I can capture the video into the program and view it within the program, but when I try to make a digital file (VIDEO, MPEG), it says "Caching Title . . .", takes several minutes, but I get nothing. When I try to preview it, there's nothing. When I look for the file on my hard drive, there's a file, but it has 0 bytes.

As a control, I captured some video from the YouTube and made a digital file from that, which worked perfectly -- I saw the preview and I got a real digital file on my hard drive.

What am I doing wrong?

8 answers to this question

Not related at all.

It is not clear what Roxio product you have. Is it this? Have you downloaded and installed SP1 for that product? That seems to be a stand alone version of Video Copy and Convert.

Are you getting any error messages? Are you selecting a custom setting or one of the standard settings. As I understand it, you are jut trying to make a copy as a file. Is that correct?

Edited by sknis

Not related at all.

It is not clear what Roxio product you have. Is it this? Have you downloaded and installed SP1 for that product? That seems to be a stand alone version of Video Copy and Convert.

Are you getting any error messages? Are you selecting a custom setting or one of the standard settings. As I understand it, you are jut trying to make a copy as a file. Is that correct?

Thanks for the quick response.

Here's the product information from About This Product:

Roxio Easy DVD Copy Premier

Version 1.2.204 SP1; 5.0.0.0

Build 122B04A, DVD; 500B39A, DVD

After getting your message, I downloaded and installed SP1 (which I think is reflected above).

It made no difference. Same symptoms. I can view the video within the program, but, after trying to convert to video and seeing the message "Caching title . . .", the preview screen comes up with no video and the file on the hard drive has 0 bytes.

I re-recorded a DVD-R using 5 minute chapters and the 1394 digital interface. I tried converting a single chapter. Again, it made no difference.

I get no error messages. I am using the standard settings: MPEG2, 720X480, NTSC (27.97 fps), 8000 kbps.

Hope this helps you (or someone else) figure out what's going on.

Thanks for the quick response.

Here's the product information from About This Product:

Roxio Easy DVD Copy Premier

Version 1.2.204 SP1; 5.0.0.0

Build 122B04A, DVD; 500B39A, DVD

After getting your message, I downloaded and installed SP1 (which I think is reflected above).

It made no difference. Same symptoms. I can view the video within the program, but, after trying to convert to video and seeing the message "Caching title . . .", the preview screen comes up with no video and the file on the hard drive has 0 bytes.

I re-recorded a DVD-R using 5 minute chapters and the 1394 digital interface. I tried converting a single chapter. Again, it made no difference.

I get no error messages. I am using the standard settings: MPEG2, 720X480, NTSC (27.97 fps), 8000 kbps.

Hope this helps you (or someone else) figure out what's going on.

Why can't you just copy the files from the mini-DVD directly to your computer? Did you record as VRO files? That is going to be a problem.

Edited by sknis

Why can't you just copy the files from the mini-DVD directly to your computer? Did you record as VRO files? That is going to be a problem.

The original recording is a mini-DV, a tape (Sony DCR-TRV11), not a mini-DVD. Do tapes have "files"?

There's a firewire connector on the camcorder, but not on my PC, so I don't know how to connect the camcorder directly to the PC.

Even so, shouldn't I be able to convert a DVD-R to a a digital file with this product? That's what all the documentation seems to suggest. What's preventing me from having what it can display from the DVD-R converted into an MPEG (or other type of) file?

Thanks for continuing the dialogue. I'm in over my head, and your advice is keeping me going.

Sorry, I misread the part about miniDV. What format are the files coming from the DVR?

All I can tell is that they're in a folder D:\VIDEO_TS

In some of the considerable documentation I've read today online, that seems to be a recognizable folder. When I click on the arrow to the right of that in the option box, no file names show up; nothing shows up.

Does that help? Does it make any sense?

All I can tell is that they're in a folder D:\VIDEO_TS

In some of the considerable documentation I've read today online, that seems to be a recognizable folder. When I click on the arrow to the right of that in the option box, no file names show up; nothing shows up.

Does that help? Does it make any sense?

Open the Video_TS folder on the DVD using Windows Explorer. Does it have a number of files with the extension ifo, bup and vob?

If not then you don't have a proper video DVD. Did you finalize the DVD in your recorder?