• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

standards transfer

mitcho

Question

6 answers to this question

Toast will re-encode PAL video to NTSC if you have NTSC selected in Toast Preferences as your preferred format and add a PAL video to the Video window with DVD video selected as the format. If you are wanting to convert video that is in a VIDEO_TS folder or on an existing DVD then you first need to extract the MPEG file. This is done by choosing DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. Find the video file you want using the browser and add it to the Video window. Toast then extracts the MPEG video, writing it to the Roxio Converted Items folder in your Documents folder.

The conversion to NTSC happens after you choose Save as Disc Image or click the button to burn the DVD.

Edited by tsantee

Thanks for the reply. I'm not clear on a couple of things. I have a PAL DVD which I purchased in the UK. Of course the DVD disk has a Video_TS folder. If I understand your post correctly, I need to go into that folder to find the MPEG file to bring into the Toast video window. The Video_TS folder has a number of VOB, BUP and IFO documents. I presume I need the VOB files. But how do I know which one to bring into Toast? Or do I bring all of them in? thanks again from just up the road in Portland.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not clear on a couple of things. I have a PAL DVD which I purchased in the UK. Of course the DVD disk has a Video_TS folder. If I understand your post correctly, I need to go into that folder to find the MPEG file to bring into the Toast video window. The Video_TS folder has a number of VOB, BUP and IFO documents. I presume I need the VOB files. But how do I know which one to bring into Toast? Or do I bring all of them in? thanks again from just up the road in Portland.

Some people have a ripped VIDEO_TS folder on their hard drive so that's why I mentioned it separately from DVD itself. You don't need to go inside this folder. What you need to do is use the Toast Media Browser to access the videos inside the DVD (presuming it is not copy protected). Choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser (if you don't see the Media Browser then activate it by selecting it in the Windows menu). Double click on the text that appears in the browser window and you'll see thumbnails of each video that's on the DVD. Drag what you want from the browser to the Video window with DVD video selected as the format. When the extraction is complete you can prepare the menu the way you want and proceed to create a new NTSC video DVD.

Edited by tsantee

Some people have a ripped VIDEO_TS folder on their hard drive so that's why I mentioned it separately from DVD itself. You don't need to go inside this folder. What you need to do is use the Toast Media Browser to access the videos inside the DVD (presuming it is not copy protected). Choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser (if you don't see the Media Browser then activate it by selecting it in the Windows menu). Double click on the text that appears in the browser window and you'll see thumbnails of each video that's on the DVD. Drag what you want from the browser to the Video window with DVD video selected as the format. When the extraction is complete you can prepare the menu the way you want and proceed to create a new NTSC video DVD.

I do have a ripped Video_TS folder as I had to rip the disk to deal with the region code. Did as you suggest and copied all the files in the TS folder using browser. The encoding starts then stops with the following error message: "Could not record the disk because a file couldn't be found: Result code = -43"

I do have a ripped Video_TS folder as I had to rip the disk to deal with the region code. Did as you suggest and copied all the files in the TS folder using browser. The encoding starts then stops with the following error message: "Could not record the disk because a file couldn't be found: Result code = -43"

I don't know what the cause is for that error. The converted items folder is emptied each time Toast is quit (unless you change that in Toast preferences) but I'm sure you didn't quit Toast before starting the conversion. So it has to do with some problem Toast has reading the MPEG file. Try clicking on the Edit button to launch the Toast Media Player which you then can use to watch (or edit) the video. Does it seem to play okay?

Presuming it plays fine then I'm pretty much stumped about what to do. You could try using the Convert window to convert it to DV and if that succeeds use that file to create your video DVD. I'm not allowed in this forum to discuss any troubleshooting regarding the ripping of discs; not that I would know what to suggest in that case, either.

Another possibility is to change the .vob extension to .mpg for the file in the Converted items folder. After doing that you'll need to drag that file from the Finder into the Toast window and delete the one already in the window.

I don't know what the cause is for that error. The converted items folder is emptied each time Toast is quit (unless you change that in Toast preferences) but I'm sure you didn't quit Toast before starting the conversion. So it has to do with some problem Toast has reading the MPEG file. Try clicking on the Edit button to launch the Toast Media Player which you then can use to watch (or edit) the video. Does it seem to play okay?

Presuming it plays fine then I'm pretty much stumped about what to do. You could try using the Convert window to convert it to DV and if that succeeds use that file to create your video DVD. I'm not allowed in this forum to discuss any troubleshooting regarding the ripping of discs; not that I would know what to suggest in that case, either.

Another possibility is to change the .vob extension to .mpg for the file in the Converted items folder. After doing that you'll need to drag that file from the Finder into the Toast window and delete the one already in the window.

I think that this is being caused by a new kind of region protector. I get the error message when I ask Toast to encode in NTSC. If I don't choose that the encoding goes ahead fine. Of course I then end up with a PAL disk which subverts the whole operation. Many thanks for following up.