• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Donnie Loeffler

burn audio CD from FLAC w/ T8?

Question

Hi Roxy folks,

I'm new to MAC from PC. I just purchased a "new" version of Toast 8. I've got some FLAC discs that I would like to burn to standard Audio CD. Everytime I simply drag and drop the FLAC Files into Toast I get some kind of "not supported" prompt. Then after I get it into and burn the CD there is no sound when played back on the CD or after the CD has been ejected and it's still on the screen. The CD has indexes , Total Time, scrolls, but no music.

I used to use Easy CD creator when I had my PC , it worked fine for the most part, but then the HD would get clogged by so many files form maybe FLAC and .shn staying in the regestries, etc. The files didn't really "delete" off the HD per se. So I thought I would use a MAC and if need be restore the computer if this happens on the MAC. However, I don't see this version of Toast being very successful for me. I suppose I will need a "lossless converter" program mostly - why did I buy this? Also, I'd like to convert my DATs to CDR using Toast , I hope it will handle my simple Edirol interface as well. But, one thing at a time.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong, or will NOT Toast burn the audio CD directly from FLAC? Or is possible my FLAC sources are bad, but I don't think so because everyone of them is doing this? The 1st and 2nd attempt locked up the computer , the 3rd burn attempt gave me only a disc with no music?

thanks for any help or ideas in advance,

Donnie L.

7 answers to this question

Toast should be able to make an audio CD from any QuickTime playable audio file. Some files require the installation of the freeware perian codec from perian.org to become QuickTime playable. If this doesn't make the FLAC files playable with QuickTime Player then you need to download and install a codec that does make the FLAC audio playable with QuickTime.

Toast should be able to make an audio CD from any QuickTime playable audio file. Some files require the installation of the freeware perian codec from perian.org to become QuickTime playable. If this doesn't make the FLAC files playable with QuickTime Player then you need to download and install a codec that does make the FLAC audio playable with QuickTime.

Thanks for the reply.... my version of Toast 8 does play a FLAC file fine when the source Flac CD/DVD is on the drive, but I'm having a problem burning a decoded audio copy with Toast 8. when I finally either get finished the disc doesn't have any music or it flakes on the burn with a error. On my PC , my roxio didn't have any problem burning a audio decoded copy of a Flac source.

Any ideas?

Donnie L.

Thanks for the reply.... my version of Toast 8 does play a FLAC file fine when the source Flac CD/DVD is on the drive, but I'm having a problem burning a decoded audio copy with Toast 8. when I finally either get finished the disc doesn't have any music or it flakes on the burn with a error. On my PC , my roxio didn't have any problem burning a audio decoded copy of a Flac source.

Any ideas?

Donnie L.

It doesn't matter if Toast can play it. It matters if QuickTime Player can play it. I just did some checking and my G5 iMac running OS 10.5.x can't play FLAC audio files with QuickTime Player. Therefore, they must be converted to another format before Toast can make an audio CD from them. This is easy to do with Toast 8.

Add your FLAC tracks to the Audio window just as if you are going to create an audio CD. Next, click the Export button at the bottom of the Toast window. Click the Format button and choose either AIFF or Apple Lossless. Either one will result in a lossless audio file, although AIFF equates to the specs for an audio CD.

When that is done replace the FLAC tracks in the Audio window with the ones just created via the Export. You now can burn your audio CD.

These multiple steps are because Apple doesn't natively support FLAC as an audio format.

It doesn't matter if Toast can play it. It matters if QuickTime Player can play it. I just did some checking and my G5 iMac running OS 10.5.x can't play FLAC audio files with QuickTime Player. Therefore, they must be converted to another format before Toast can make an audio CD from them. This is easy to do with Toast 8.

Add your FLAC tracks to the Audio window just as if you are going to create an audio CD. Next, click the Export button at the bottom of the Toast window. Click the Format button and choose either AIFF or Apple Lossless. Either one will result in a lossless audio file, although AIFF equates to the specs for an audio CD.

When that is done replace the FLAC tracks in the Audio window with the ones just created via the Export. You now can burn your audio CD.

These multiple steps are because Apple doesn't natively support FLAC as an audio format.

Hey many thanks - this works well -

Q: how bout encoding to FLAC , will Toast 8 do that?

Hey many thanks - this works well -

Q: how bout encoding to FLAC , will Toast 8 do that?

Yes. When you choose Export you should see FLAC as one of the available formats.

I noticed when I successfully used Toast 8 to convert Flac to Audio CD. All the files were in my iTunes. How to do I get Toast not to export all the files to iTunes automatically?

many thanks for all the replies and advice guys! - DL

Edited by Donnie Loeffler

I noticed when I successfully used Toast 8 to convert Flac to Audio CD. All the files were in my iTunes. How to do I get Toast not to export all the files to iTunes automatically?

many thanks for all the replies and advice guys! - DL

I don't know why they were in your iTunes. You needed to choose a place to save them and I presume it was somewhere else. There also is a check box next to Open iTunes when done in the export window. If you have that checked it probably will launch iTunes. If iTunes' preferences are set to automatically add new tracks to the library then that may be where it happened.