• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

VholdR helmet cam setting alignment with Roxio 2010 Pro

d rick

Question

Hi,

Is there any way to get proper alignment without modifying source video so that it will match with the very limited options available in Roxio? My options from the helmet cam are as follows:

Full HD - 1080p (1920x1080)

Tall HD - 960p (1280x960)

Action HD - 720p (1280x720)

Contour HD - 720p (1280x720)

Fast SD - WVGA (848x480)

30fps (1080p and 720p)

or

60fps (720p and WVGA)

specs located here for further details as needed:

http://www.vholdr.com/contourhd/features

http://www.vholdr.com/contourhd/techspecs

i would prefer to do Full HD @ 30fps or Action HD @ 60 fps, neither of which i've been able to find a way to get myDVD to do.

TIA for any suggestions or reading material.

Edited by d rick

24 answers to this question

Is this the same issue you had with EMC 9 and with Creator 2009? Perhaps a new helmet cam? :P or are you a front for the manufacturer of the helmet cam?

In Video Wave, there areover 50 formats so I don't think that you can call it limited. By the way, one of the formats is Same as Original. Create DVD has the same option for burning to disc.

Have you tried those?

Edited by sknis

i would prefer to do Full HD @ 30fps or Action HD @ 60 fps, neither of which i've been able to find a way to get myDVD to do.
We would need more information on how you are adding the files, etc. I have downloaded several files (1080p & 720p) from the vholder site and haven't had any issues burning those to a DVD. Are you burning to standard def DVD or are you trying to burn to AVCHD on DVD (bluray format)?

I have seen issues with 60fps files other than Vholder.

Edited by ggrussell

Is this the same issue you had with EMC 9 and with Creator 2009? Perhaps a new helmet cam? :P or are you a front for the manufacturer of the helmet cam?

In Video Wave, there areover 50 formats so I don't think that you can call it limited. By the way, one of the formats is Same as Original. Create DVD has the same option for burning to disc.

Have you tried those?

not the same issue, but a new issue with similar equipment. I've upgraded Roxio, and I've also upgraded the helmet cam (2 generations of Roxio, 3 generations of VholdR), so i guess I've already tried your suggestion on a new helmet cam. I wish i was a company front, that way i would have saved about $1000 on Roxio SW and VholdR HW, but alas no I'm just a broke frustrated end user who can't seem to get these two units to play nice in the sandbox.

that is great that there are 50 formats, but are any of them in the resolutions from the 1st post with those specifications? the reason i bought the "pro" version of Roxio 2010 was for 2 distinct reasons:

1 - BR authoring

2 - "advanced" video authoring features

i was looking at the same as original but after playing with the settings, it appears that it may not actually leave it alone and it might downgrade it? is there somewhere i can read more about the details on these settings? the help screens were not a tremendous amount of help.

We would need more information on how you are adding the files, etc. I have downloaded several files (1080p & 720p) from the vholder site and haven't had any issues burning those to a DVD. Are you burning to standard def DVD or are you trying to burn to AVCHD on DVD (bluray format)?

sorry, let me know what else you need.

I'm trying to burn MPEG2 to BluRay, not AVCHD. This is due to the fact that camera records in H.264/MPEG-4 which Roxio doesn't accept right? Would AVC be a better choice instead of MPEG-2

I'm open to trying AVCHD but have not done that yet, it appears that the PS3 (my BR player) will accept those, right?

p.s. i'm still a n00b on all this, so if i'm missing something please point it out.

one other thing, i don't have any of the old problems with sound or video, i get both just fine now. i'm just getting stuttering video output that looks off, and i want to determine where the problem is and if either side has the flexibility to adjust. if not, then i need to find the optimum settings on both sides for the best video.

Edited by d rick

Roxio Creator 201 accepts many format. Have you tried it? What happens?

Same as original (with menu) should not change the quality in Create DVD.

"Input Formats

Video: AVI, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD , DVD-Video, IFO/VOB, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, AVC (H.264), AVCHD

Audio: Audio CD, MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby® Digital AC-3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, M4A, MP4, Playlists (WPL, ASX, M3U, PLS, XSPF)

Image: JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP, GIF

"

Roxio Creator 201 accepts many format. Have you tried it? What happens?

Same as original (with menu) should not change the quality in Create DVD.

"Input Formats

Video: AVI, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD , DVD-Video, IFO/VOB, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, AVC (H.264), AVCHD

Audio: Audio CD, MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby® Digital AC-3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, M4A, MP4, Playlists (WPL, ASX, M3U, PLS, XSPF)

Image: JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP, GIF

"

yup, as i mentioned in original post i can import and burn successfully to BR with no issues. the issue is that the video seems to "stutter" (not sure how else to explain it).

i have not tried the same as original setting, i will try that today and post results.

d rick - I've never had any issues with the Vholder files and have created AVCHD on DVD discs. Close as I can get to BD. I don't have a BD burner. The AVCHD discs play back fine on my PC, but have no idea what the playback would be like on a BD player.

Go to the top of this forum and follow the suggested workflow for AVCHD and change the final output to BD Disc.

d rick - I've never had any issues with the Vholder files and have created AVCHD on DVD discs. Close as I can get to BD. I don't have a BD burner. The AVCHD discs play back fine on my PC, but have no idea what the playback would be like on a BD player.

Go to the top of this forum and follow the suggested workflow for AVCHD and change the final output to BD Disc.

2 questions for you on this -

q1 - when i create the file, aren't i downgrading the video quality which the source is 1080p and in step 2 it says to make it 1080i?

q2 - if answer to q1 is yes, then what settings should i be using instead?

In your case, use Videowave to output to file: Bluray AVC HQ 1920x1080, 24fps

1080p @15Mbps

When you open MyDVD, choose Bluray instead of AVHCD on DVD project.

Hopefully you have a BD RE disc for testing. :)

Add the file and choose Same as Original or HQ

What I find odd is that MyDVD seems to encode the file again. I haven't been able to get AVC files to smart render. Personally, I would just skip the conversion above and add the .MOV file directly to MyDVD. See if that works for you.

I have being 'burning' to a folder on the hard drive and then using Cineplayer to view. But the real test is playing it back on a BD Player. Videowave/MyDVD doesn't seem to support 1080p at 29.97fps. It converts to 24fps. Perhaps that is what causes the stuttering. ? Appears the 720p is also 24fps.

Edited by ggrussell

In your case, use Videowave to output to file: Bluray AVC HQ 1920x1080, 24fps

1080p @15Mbps

When you open MyDVD, choose Bluray instead of AVHCD on DVD project.

Hopefully you have a BD RE disc for testing. :)

Add the file and choose Same as Original or HQ

What I find odd is that MyDVD seems to encode the file again. I haven't been able to get AVC files to smart render. Personally, I would just skip the conversion above and add the .MOV file directly to MyDVD. See if that works for you.

I have being 'burning' to a folder on the hard drive and then using Cineplayer to view. But the real test is playing it back on a BD Player. Videowave/MyDVD doesn't seem to support 1080p at 29.97fps. It converts to 24fps. Perhaps that is what causes the stuttering. ? Appears the 720p is also 24fps.

ok, so i'm sorry for being dense but i want to make sure i do this right (i don't have BD-RE so every one is a final for me).

you are saying

1 - don't convert the video in the big long process via the sticky

2 - add video into mydvd into a BR project

3 - use the same as source video setting

4 - use avc video codec not mpeg 2

5 - any additional feedback on the other project settings, right now all the boxes are checked on that menu

thanks for all the help, i appreciate it

Since you don' t have any BD RE, burn to folder on the hard drive first to be save so you can test it with Cineplayer. I'm using Win7 and WMP12 will playback the BD folders just fine. This is where a fast Quad Core comes in handy. ;) Why not do the testing with shorter clips so it doesn't take so long to see the results?

The ONLY reason I suggest adding the .MOV files directly to MyDVD is because Videowave/MyDVD do not support 29.97fps progressive. Since the file HAS to be converted, no reason to do it twice.

Step 3: Should be HQ (1920x1080p 24fps) since MyDVD does not support 29.97fps progressive.

You shouldn't be losing much quality (if any) and conversion from 29.97fps to 24fps.

Edited by ggrussell

Since you don' t have any BD RE, burn to folder on the hard drive first to be save so you can test it with Cineplayer. I'm using Win7 and WMP12 will playback the BD folders just fine. This is where a fast Quad Core comes in handy. ;) Why not do the testing with shorter clips so it doesn't take so long to see the results?

The ONLY reason I suggest adding the .MOV files directly to MyDVD is because Videowave/MyDVD do not support 29.97fps progressive. Since the file HAS to be converted, no reason to do it twice.

Step 3: Should be HQ (1920x1080p 24fps) since MyDVD does not support 29.97fps progressive.

You shouldn't be losing much quality (if any) and conversion from 29.97fps to 24fps.

ok, i'll give that a try now as the second burn just crashed at 72% again after 7 hours. fyi, i'm using VLC video player not WMP if that matters? the sad part is, is that i have a lot of compute power to throw at this, here are my system specs:

Q6600 quad core CPU @ 2.40 Ghz

4GB RAM

2 x 32 GB SSD HDD's striped in a RAID 0

Win 7 Ult x64

ATI X850XT GPU

obviously with this little HDD space, i'm both pulling the source video and writing the temp files to a NAS share, but that is connected via GigE which should offer plenty of performance.

Why not do the testing with shorter clips so it doesn't take so long to see the results?

trying with 2 clips this time instead of 5 this time

should i use the 2 pass encoding or not?

Since you don' t have any BD RE, burn to folder on the hard drive first to be save so you can test it with Cineplayer.

(*%&)(^*#&)(^*, now i have another challenge. the included version of Cineplayer doesn't play BR content. i'm not going to pay for the extra plug in just to test this theory, sorry.

I just can't win... :angry2:

Edited by d rick

[snip]

(*%&)(^*#&)(^*, now i have another challenge. the included version of Cineplayer doesn't play BR content. i'm not going to pay for the extra plug in just to test this theory, sorry.

I just can't win... :angry2:

It should play the BR discs that you made with the Roxio software, without the plugin. It won't play commercial BR discs without the plugin.

It should play the BR discs that you made with the Roxio software, without the plugin. It won't play commercial BR discs without the plugin.

ahh, that is good news. now all i need are instructions on how to do this as it's not intuitive to me how to accomplish it. is it really as simple as un-checking burn to disc, and then checking the create folder set with a target with enough space?

Edited by d rick

Yes, that is what I do. I uncheck the others and only check 'burn to folder'. I've only used VLC a few times. Since I moved to WIn7, I have being using WMP12.

ok, i'll give that a try next. i have another test encode running now (going on hour 9) so i want to see if it finishes.

WMP12 works ok as well, but a lot of folks seem to like VLC so i gave it a try.

ok, last encode/burn FINALLY finished without crashing.

settings -

AVC codec

HQ video setting

single pass encoding

BD-R target

burn took approx 10 hours to complete

output with these settings is worse than MPEG2 (getting more noise and jumpiness, also strange tunnel vision setting wher center of video is clear, and edges are noisy)

i now have a second encode/burn running that i started last night

AVC codec

same as original video setting

BD-R target

burn has been running for 8 hours so far

after that completes i will then test the AVCHD route with both HQ and sames as original and see either of those work.

i can't remember if i told you this or not, i rename all the .mov files to .mp4 prior to encoding. this is the failsafe way to address the old problem of getting video or sound but not both. this was recommended by VholdR tech support, and seems to work %100 of the time.

just wanted to make sure to point that out in case it makes a difference.

Edited by d rick

Perhaps I missed it. Why AVC codec rather than HD mpg2?

I've been using MPEG2 successfully for the last 6 months, but it was suggested that i try the AVC codec to address the stuttering in the video. MPEG2 burns about 10x as fast on my system, so if that is the right solution that would not be a bad thing at all.

.MOV hidef file uses AVC (h264) encoding. Would be nice if MyDVD/Videowave would smart render these files. Since the files have to be re-encoded (29.97fps to 24fps in AVC format), I suppose either format should be fine.

d rick - have you tried 1080p MPEG 2?

Open MyDVD and choose Bluray project

Add the file

Go to File/Project Settings

Change to MPEG 2 and select HQ (1080p)

Then burn to folder and see if you have stuttering.

Edited by ggrussell

ok, so here are my observations and results so far -

AVC/HQ single pass encoding - jerkier than MPEG2/HQ

AVC/HQ FPS to 10-20 drop from 25-30 seen on MPEG2/HQ

AVC/SOA - jerkier than MPEG2/HQ about the same as AVC/HQ

AVC/HQ FPS to 10-20 drop from 25-30 seen on MPEG2/HQ

MPEG2/HQ single pass encoding - smoother than both AVC options

stays pretty solid in the 25-30 FPS range

So you are watching the results on your computer? Granted your Quad core & video card should be able to handle Hidef, but do you get the same results when burned to BD and played on a BD player connected to HDTV? I wonder if the files that are jerky on your machine would playback on other computer setups smoother? Trying to narrow it down to software or hardware issue.

So you are watching the results on your computer? Granted your Quad core & video card should be able to handle Hidef, but do you get the same results when burned to BD and played on a BD player connected to HDTV? I wonder if the files that are jerky on your machine would playback on other computer setups smoother? Trying to narrow it down to software or hardware issue.

no, all these are from watching the final discs on my PS3. i haven't watched any on the PC as it didn't occur to me as i don't want to watch them there

d rick - have you tried 1080p MPEG 2?

Open MyDVD and choose Bluray project

Add the file

Go to File/Project Settings

Change to MPEG 2 and select HQ (1080p)

Then burn to folder and see if you have stuttering.

yes, that is how i originally was burning all of my BR's, it still stutters but is much less noticeable on DVD than the AVC burns

i have a sample mpeg2/HQ burn to folder running right now, will take several hours to finish, but will post results upon completion.

Edited by d rick