• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

"Video Copy & Convert" not outputting in 16:9 format

Rick_j

Question

I have some .mts files from my Canon Vixia Camera. If I convert them to standard definition Mpeg2, they letter box on my, if I open the file it has converted them to 4:3 resolution. I have no way to choice the format when I convert,how do I force this to 16:9?

Rick

6 answers to this question

I have some .mts files from my Canon Vixia Camera. If I convert them to standard definition Mpeg2, they letter box on my, if I open the file it has converted them to 4:3 resolution. I have no way to choice the format when I convert,how do I force this to 16:9?

Rick

on my ???? If you play the vdeo file using a media player, are they 16 by 9?

I thought that all standard definition TV are 4 by 3. (in the US)

What are you tryuing to do with the video files?

Do you have these choices? 1440 by 1080 is 16 by 9 but that is a HD format.

Edited by sknis

When I play these files on my computer, add them to me video editor or use the gspot codec appliance it shows as 4:3 if I just use the 720x480 method.

I'm trying to take my AVCHD video convert it to 720x480 16:9 so I can make standard Widescreen DVD's. My Video Editor does not support HD content. Yes the program does allow other formats, but they are not standard NTSC format for my editor.

What is interesting is I have some AVCHD video from another source (not even sure, just downloaded some samples) and they auto detect and properly convert to 720x480 16:9, but files from my Canon, when I do the exact same procedure convert to 720x480 4:3 (LetterBox)

The Video Editor works fine, but you also tell it ahead of time what the format of the video you are making is (ie 16:9). It seems to recognize the video correctly and outputs properly to Mpeg2 16:9.

Correction to my previous post, every AVCHD video I convert to Mpeg2 with the "Video Copy & Convert" application converts to LetterBox 4:3, unless I pick 720P or such. I was sure I have a few that worked yesterday but I was also trying a bunch of different things at the same time.

However when I pick DVD output it creates a VOB file that is 16:9? I guess I can go that route and just rename the VOB file to mpeg so I can put it in my editor......

It seems the Video Convert function in "Video" mode only outputs in 4:3 with the 720x480 setting, would be nice to see this fixed so you could select 4:3 or 16:9.

Rick

The Video Editor works fine, but you also tell it ahead of time what the format of the video you are making is (ie 16:9). It seems to recognize the video correctly and outputs properly to Mpeg2 16:9.

Correction to my previous post, every AVCHD video I convert to Mpeg2 with the "Video Copy & Convert" application converts to LetterBox 4:3, unless I pick 720P or such. I was sure I have a few that worked yesterday but I was also trying a bunch of different things at the same time.

However when I pick DVD output it creates a VOB file that is 16:9? I guess I can go that route and just rename the VOB file to mpeg so I can put it in my editor......

It seems the Video Convert function in "Video" mode only outputs in 4:3 with the 720x480 setting, would be nice to see this fixed so you could select 4:3 or 16:9.

Rick

I don't have any AVCHD files to try so I can't help or comment.

Correction to my previous post, every AVCHD video I convert to Mpeg2 with the "Video Copy & Convert" application converts to LetterBox 4:3,...
You are correct. VC&C can not output to widescreen MPEG 2. You need to use Videowave / Output to file option. You mention several times that you need to put the file in 'your editor'. Are you using Videowave or something else? If you are using another editor, the best solution would be to use Videowave and output to DV AVI so you have less loss in quality and most video editors will accept that format. Edited by ggrussell