• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video Convert Hanging Up

AlG

Question

My system is as follows:

Windows 7 Pro x 64 bit version

MSI P7N SLI Platinum (750i chipset)

4 GB 6400 RAM (2 x 2 GB matched pair)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.16 GHz)

eVGA 9800GTX (512 MB)

NIS 2010

I did an upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista, and it was a clean install. Creator 2010 was installed after the updates, drivers, etc were all updated and installed.

I wanted to convert a 700 MB, 1 hr 37 min AVI file to DVD so I tried Video Convert. I played around with some of the settings ... not much to set up ... and then hit preview to look at what it would all look like. Of course it started to convert the AVI to DVD format, and it started at 5% done ... 15 minutes later it was still at 5% with very little disc activity, so I hit cancel, and it said to wait while cancelling. 5 minutes later I pulled up Task Master to stop it, and that is when it said it had stopped responding.

I tried it again today. Same results. Here is the Windows Problem Report says:

Program: VideoConvert12.exe

Problem: Stopped Responding

Description:

The program VideoConvert12.exe version 12.2.2.8 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 5e4

Start Time: 01cab888bce5452a

Termination Time: 0

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio 2010\Video Convert 12\VideoConvert12.exe

Report Id:

First ... I know a conversion of this kind would normally take about 30 - 60 minutes for a file that size, on a system like mine. Is it normal to show no progress up to a certain point of the conversion? Should I have waited longer before cancelling? How long until I see something that tells me it is actually working?

Second ... I would think after hitting cancel, it should finish cancelling farily quickly because it only has to clean up a temporary file. How long does it normally take for Video Convert to cancel during the conversion process?

Assuming the answers from the above are what I expect to hear ... this module does not appear to be working. What can be done to get it working?

Thanks,

Al

8 answers to this question

What kind of a file is that???

A 1:37 file should be 21 GB as an AVI or 7.2 GB as an mpeg…

Open VideoWave and attempt to add the file there.

If that works, you can Export As from there.

It must be a DivX avi file. VCC hangs for me when I use a DivX avi file. Videowave and myDVD have no problems.

C2010 does not support DivX.

Edited by myguggi

Hello.

First ... Problem Solved. Incompatible file type for videoconvert12.exe.

Yes it is a DivX file. Sorry, didn't realize that was important.

I guess that explains why it stalled at 5% progress, right where it started.

I was trying different approaches to get it on DVD, and what appears to be a good work around is here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=62668

So far it is working good, and I was successful in running Copy and Convert to resize the HQ iso created in MyDVD. So Copy and Convert is indeed working for me! Just not for DivX AVI files, which you explained is not a supported file type.

Just having a look at it now for quality, etc. I will post specific results on that other thread once I get through the comparisons, but it is looking like a success.

I will also try your suggestion to use VideoWave, and then export it. Will be interesting to see which gives the best quality.

Thank your for the help!

Al

Hello.

First ... Problem Solved. Incompatible file type for videoconvert12.exe.

Yes it is a DivX file. Sorry, didn't realize that was important.

I guess that explains why it stalled at 5% progress, right where it started.

I was trying different approaches to get it on DVD, and what appears to be a good work around is here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=62668

So far it is working good, and I was successful in running Copy and Convert to resize the HQ iso created in MyDVD. So Copy and Convert is indeed working for me! Just not for DivX AVI files, which you explained is not a supported file type.

Just having a look at it now for quality, etc. I will post specific results on that other thread once I get through the comparisons, but it is looking like a success.

I will also try your suggestion to use VideoWave, and then export it. Will be interesting to see which gives the best quality.

Thank your for the help!

Al

If you do not require any editing then there is no need to use Videowave and you can go directly to myDVD to create the iso file. At the moment Videowave and myDVD still accept the DivX avi format as input, you just cannot output to that format. I have a feeling that soon even the input option will be dropped.

VCC will still accept the DVD avi format of course.

If you do not require any editing then there is no need to use Videowave and you can go directly to myDVD to create the iso file. At the moment Videowave and myDVD still accept the DivX avi format as input, you just cannot output to that format. I have a feeling that soon even the input option will be dropped.

VCC will still accept the DVD avi format of course.

Yes that will work – I only suggested VideoWave to test the file in a completely different program :rolleyes:

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it is an error so I guess here.

I created the HQ iso using MyDVD, which was 6.51 GB ... so far so good. Went into Copy and Convert and created a DVD file and it did that ... 4.35 GB ... perfect fit. Just wanted to try that before wrecking discs.

So went into the Copy DVD tab, and pointed it to the iso, and to the correct drive. It compressed and started to burn ... and then I got an error.

SCSI device not installed [0x21000012]

ULONG: Error Number = 21000012]

STRING: Error String = SCSI device not installed

The DVD had zero data on it, and had no space available. So it did do something wrong perhaps?

I rebooted and tried again, same result. I tried to burn the 4.35 GB DVD file using Copy DVD tab. Same result.

I checked device manager, and it shows good, and has a driver. I did a test data disc using Roxio data disc and it worked perfectly. I tested it using Windows to burn a disc which also worked perfectly.

So it didn't like something, and yet it is ok with burning to the drive with other modules.

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it is an error so I guess here.

I created the HQ iso using MyDVD, which was 6.51 GB ... so far so good. Went into Copy and Convert and created a DVD file and it did that ... 4.35 GB ... perfect fit. Just wanted to try that before wrecking discs.

So went into the Copy DVD tab, and pointed it to the iso, and to the correct drive. It compressed and started to burn ... and then I got an error.

SCSI device not installed [0x21000012]

ULONG: Error Number = 21000012]

STRING: Error String = SCSI device not installed

The DVD had zero data on it, and had no space available. So it did do something wrong perhaps?

I rebooted and tried again, same result. I tried to burn the 4.35 GB DVD file using Copy DVD tab. Same result.

I checked device manager, and it shows good, and has a driver. I did a test data disc using Roxio data disc and it worked perfectly. I tested it using Windows to burn a disc which also worked perfectly.

So it didn't like something, and yet it is ok with burning to the drive with other modules.

Do you have the video player VLC installed? If yes then simply drop the iso file you created on the VLS icon on your desktop. If the iso file is good then it should play.

ImgBurn is a free utilty that is excellent for buring iso files to a DVD. That would also test your iso file.

Edited by myguggi

Thank you myguggi.

Actually, I forgot that I have an external USB burner. So I used Copy & Convert to compress the 6.51 GB iso, and burn it to a DVD. Worked perfectly, and the quality was excellent (will be responding to the other thread with specifics on that part).

So it would appear that Copy & Convert doesn't like my internal burner. It is a Samsung SH-S223F 22x SATA drive, which is called a SCSI drive in Device Manager.

All of the other modules of Creator seem to be burning to it correctly, and Windows burns to it correctly. So this issue appears to be specific to Copy & Convert.

I can get by with my external burner, but I would prefer to get this working right. Any thoughts on how we might do that?

Thanks,

Al