Convert AVI to DVD with MyDVD

AlG

Question

I have an AVI file that is 1 hr 37 min long, and it is 700 MB in size. The AVI file properties are:

Data Rate 880 kbps, Total Bitrate 1008 kbps, Frame Rate 23 fps. Audio is 128 kbps, stereo, 48 kHz.

So I used MyDVD to create a 16:9 DVD, with menu, chapters, etc. I set it to fit to disc.

The picture and sound quality were both disappointing.

So I downloaded a trial version of ConvertXtoDVD and did an identical disc (with trial version watermark) so that I could compare. The picture and sound quality were both noticably superior.

So I am wondering if there are some settings that can duplicate to get comparable results? I have done a lot of Google searches, and it seems that there are two things that can vastly improve the converted DVD quality:

- multiple pass conversion (first pass is to evaluate how to convert it, second pass is the conversion)

- apparently the codec used can make a big difference

Can anyone instruct me on how to improve the quality of the recording?

Thanks,

Al

5 answers to this question

Don't use fit to disc.....I never get good results. Use HQ and don't worry about the file size. Burn to an image file and then use Video Copy and Convert to burn the image file to disc. If it's too large, it will compress it to fit at best quality.

I have an AVI file that is 1 hr 37 min long, and it is 700 MB in size. The AVI file properties are:

Data Rate 880 kbps, Total Bitrate 1008 kbps, Frame Rate 23 fps. Audio is 128 kbps, stereo, 48 kHz.

So I used MyDVD to create a 16:9 DVD, with menu, chapters, etc. I set it to fit to disc.

The picture and sound quality were both disappointing.

So I downloaded a trial version of ConvertXtoDVD and did an identical disc (with trial version watermark) so that I could compare. The picture and sound quality were both noticably superior.

So I am wondering if there are some settings that can duplicate to get comparable results? I have done a lot of Google searches, and it seems that there are two things that can vastly improve the converted DVD quality:

- multiple pass conversion (first pass is to evaluate how to convert it, second pass is the conversion)

- apparently the codec used can make a big difference

Can anyone instruct me on how to improve the quality of the recording?

Thanks,

Al

Are you sure your 97 min avi file is 700MB? Sounds unusual to me, but am a rookie. I record an hour each week and the downloaded avi file is abt 14GB.

Thank you very much Beerman!

Just to clarrify, the 700 MB AVI is a DivX AVI file. And I followed your instructions, and very nice results.

Very good video and very good audio.

Using MyDVD, I created my menus and other customizations normally. I set Quality to HQ, and hit the burn button. In the next screen I unchecked the burn option, and I checked the save iso option. Then I let it run and it created a 6.51 GB iso, which was saved in the "My Videos" folder.

Then I used Copy & Convert, and clicked on the Copy DVD tab. I pointed to the 6.51 GB iso, and double clicked the "Entire Content" option. Pointed to the right drive with the blank 4.7 GB DVD. Checked options, but it was all ok. Then I burned it. Played perfect, menus were intact, and the quality was exactly what I was hoping for!

Outstanding advice.

Al