• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

EMC10 Burning Issue - .avi "The file you are trying to use cannot be edited, ...

Timko

Question

Hello,

I'm using Easy Media Creator 10 to burn .avi videos on DVD's for viewing on a TV (for the first time). I was able to burn two .avi files with no problem. It was working ok and I wanted to burn a 3rd file and got a warning:

"The file you are trying to use cannot be edited, and has not been edited".

The file "plays" on Windows Media Player.

I am using an hp with vista ultimate and Easy Media Creator 10 Suite Version: 1.0.044 Build: 100B44B, R03

8 answers to this question

Hello,

I'm using Easy Media Creator 10 to burn .avi videos on DVD's for viewing on a TV (for the first time). I was able to burn two .avi files with no problem. It was working ok and I wanted to burn a 3rd file and got a warning:

"The file you are trying to use cannot be edited, and has not been edited".

The file "plays" on Windows Media Player.

I am using an hp with vista ultimate and Easy Media Creator 10 Suite Version: 1.0.044 Build: 100B44B, R03

Where did these avi files come from? That message usually means that the video is in a format that is not acceptable to EMC 10. Not all avi files are "equal".

Where did these avi files come from? That message usually means that the video is in a format that is not acceptable to EMC 10. Not all avi files are "equal".

Thanks Guggi, I appreciate the reply.

They came from out there somewhere ... in the internet. I got that part that they were not acceptable. That much I know. What I was wondering is if someone knows what type of file attributes Roxio was looking for and what/how I could check what I have. I went to file-properties and it is not read only, I went file-properties-security and I have full control checked, ...

I assume this is a Roxio issue since the file plays with Windows Medial Player.

Thanks Guggi, I appreciate the reply.

They came from out there somewhere ... in the internet. I got that part that they were not acceptable. That much I know. What I was wondering is if someone knows what type of file attributes Roxio was looking for and what/how I could check what I have. I went to file-properties and it is not read only, I went file-properties-security and I have full control checked, ...

I assume this is a Roxio issue since the file plays with Windows Medial Player.

No, its not a Roxio issue but a corrupt file issue. WMP is much more tolerant of bad files than a encoding program like Roxios. When you try to work with something from the "Twilight Zone" all bets are off. :rolleyes:

You could try a free file converter and see if it will convert to something acceptable to Roxio.

No, its not a Roxio issue but a corrupt file issue. WMP is much more tolerant of bad files than a encoding program like Roxios. When you try to work with something from the "Twilight Zone" all bets are off. :rolleyes:

You could try a free file converter and see if it will convert to something acceptable to Roxio.

No, I think it is a Roxio issue. I just searched the forum and saw that there is an issue with Roxio 9 - same exact problem. I upgraded to 10 to convert some vhs tapes over that couldnt be done with EMC9. Apparently, it is a known Roxio issue in EMC9 that was not fixed in EMC10. They have a fix listed there.

Thanks

No, I think it is a Roxio issue. I just searched the forum and saw that there is an issue with Roxio 9 - same exact problem. I upgraded to 10 to convert some vhs tapes over that couldnt be done with EMC9. Apparently, it is a known Roxio issue in EMC9 that was not fixed in EMC10. They have a fix listed there.

Thanks

You downloaded 3 avi files from the internet. Two files work fine and the 3rd does not - don't you think that points to the file? :blink:

From what site did you get these files?

What do avi files downloaded from the internet have to do VHS tapes?

I have no idea to what "known Roxio issue in EMC9" you are referring? Do you have a link? Do you have a link for the fix?

Occam's Razor says that the most likely cause of a problem is usually the right one. The bad file is the most likely cause; possibly the end of the file that you would not see was cut off during the download.

You might also consider that that file may be DRM protected. Unlikely but possible. Since you did not say where you got the file, then we can offer more comments. Post the link to it so we can look. Download and drag the files to gspot codec information appliance. It will tell you a lot about the files. Post the information here.

A suggestion was made for a work around, have you tried it?

Occam's Razor says that the most likely cause of a problem is usually the right one. The bad file is the most likely cause; possibly the end of the file that you would not see was cut off during the download.

You might also consider that that file may be DRM protected. Unlikely but possible. Since you did not say where you got the file, then we can offer more comments. Post the link to it so we can look. Download and drag the files to gspot codec information appliance. It will tell you a lot about the files. Post the information here.

A suggestion was made for a work around, have you tried it?

You sound like a very intelligent person - Occams's Razor ... ever hear of Ohm's Law ... that doesn't apply either. GSpot ... yes. I located two soluitions. The first one is in the rev9 forum. They are pretty long. And secondly, soundforge avstodvd can do it. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with a newbee.

You sound like a very intelligent person - Occams's Razor ... ever hear of Ohm's Law ... that doesn't apply either. GSpot ... yes. I located two soluitions. The first one is in the rev9 forum. They are pretty long. And secondly, soundforge avstodvd can do it. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with a newbee.

Why don't you answer the question or at least list the link? It might help someone else. :rolleyes: