• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Interesting problem solved--hope this helps others

imaref1

Question

I've been having trouble capturing analog video on one of my computers lately (video preview freezes, usually after about 9 minutes). Once it freezes, I have to stop the capture, save that portion, and start another capture for the next portion of the file. It also means I can't walk away and do something else during the capturing.

I opened the task manager, clicked to sort the list of processes from those using the highest amount of memory to those using the least. At the top of my list was a program called msmpeng.exe--looked it up and it's part of the Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus (which I had installed on that computer). It was using an extraordinary amount of memory and was keeping the CPU running at very high rates (80-90%).

I opened Microsoft Security Essentials (settings) and turned off real time protection, then rebooted. Opened up task manager and guess what? Msmpeng.exe was still running and still doing the same thing. I completely uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials, rebooted, installed Avast (free) antivirus, rebooted, and since that time I've had no problems with the capture process freezing.

Hope this helps others, as it drove me insane. :rolleyes:

Edited by imaref1

2 answers to this question

I've been having trouble capturing analog video on one of my computers lately (video preview freezes, usually after about 9 minutes). Once it freezes, I have to stop the capture, save that portion, and start another capture for the next portion of the file. It also means I can't walk away and do something else during the capturing.

I opened the task manager, clicked to sort the list of processes from those using the highest amount of memory to those using the least. At the top of my list was a program called msmpeng.exe--looked it up and it's part of the Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus (which I had installed on that computer). It was using an extraordinary amount of memory and was keeping the CPU running at very high rates (80-90%).

I opened Microsoft Security Essentials (settings) and turned off real time protection, then rebooted. Opened up task manager and guess what? Msmpeng.exe was still running and still doing the same thing. I completely uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials, rebooted, installed Avast (free) antivirus, rebooted, and since that time I've had no problems with the capture process freezing.

Hope this helps others, as it drove me insane. :rolleyes:

imaref1, I run Microsoft Security Essentials and msmpeng.exe is not running in my task manager..

I would suggest reading the link below...

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-vista-tips...is-msmpeng-exe/

cd

That's interesting. I checked and Windows Defender is not active on my computer. Not sure why mspeng.exe stopped running when I uninstalled MSE but mspeng.exe was definitely the culprit. I know they recently updated MSE--wonder if the new update incorporates mspeng.exe somehow...

Either way, if you open your task manager and have mspeng.exe running, it can cause problems...

Thanks for the info...