Change "printer" in Label Creator

Catsnkites

Question

The last several times I've used Label Creator, I used the LightScribe feature of my DVD burner.

(I also used Creator 9, now I have just installed Creator 2010 and never printed a label from 2010 until now)

Now, I'd like to print an actual paper label.

When I open the Label Creator, I can design my label just fine.

When I choose "Print", the program thinks I'm going to use LightScribe and that's the pre-loaded printer. So, the program checks the drive for a disk .. which there isn't one. Meanwhile, I can't change the printer ... if I click on it too many times ... the program stops responding.

If I let it be, Roxio figures out there is no disk and lets me change the printer and things work fine after that.

Is there any way to convince it that I always want to print to the printer and I'll change it to LightScribe if I need to?

BTW ... I have a new Epson Artisan 810, it will print to disk (which I'll probably never do due to the cost and my penchant for messing up the labels anyway) .... but my printer isn't listed ... should I just choose another Epson printer?

14 answers to this question

I have almost the exact same problem, except I have the Epson Artison 810 & cannot print to a cd/dvd... Label Creator has no option for my printer & never allows me to change paper types. When I change the paper type to the printer R800, it always reverts back to epson 900... Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Phil

Nothing to do about the LightScribe, it is an annoyance that has been reported several versions ago…

If the Printers don't show, you may have to make your own files to accomplish this…

There is a pinned post at the top, "Print CD/DVDs with HP Printers that is similar and should guide you through the modifications needed.

To my knowledge, that it the ONLY solution… :(

I have A solutions for the epson printers & maybe it will assist with other types of printers. I have Roxio Creator 2010 Pro running on Windows 7 & attempting to print on a new Epson Artison 810.

1. After I create the design, I select "file" & "print".

2. After it loads the lightscribe drive, I change the printer type to my Epson Artison 810.

3. First thing to change is Printer "Properties", then select "Printable CD/DVD Printing" (its a Epson shortcut, if you don't have it just change your printer to cd/dvd disc). Select ok.

4. Make sure Media is set to "Print to Disc"

5. Now the paper type is funky. None are appropriate for my printer. So I chose the "Epson Stylus Photo 900".

6. Now select "Preferences". For Overprint/Bleeding, enter .10 & .10 for both vertical & horizontal. For Fine Tuning, enter -7.08 for Vertical & -6.53 for Horizontal. Select OK

7. Select OK & you should get a good looking CD

This basically takes the old settings & moves the image to the exact spot where the cd/dvd is printed for the Artison 810.

If you are using a different printer, just play with the Vertical & Horizontal numbers till you get it right.

For vertical, the lower the number, the more it raises.

For horizontal, the lower the number, the more left.

and yes, I wasted a lot of cd's...

Hope this helps!

I have A solutions for the epson printers & maybe it will assist with other types of printers. I have Roxio Creator 2010 Pro running on Windows 7 & attempting to print on a new Epson Artison 810.

1. After I create the design, I select "file" & "print".

2. After it loads the lightscribe drive, I change the printer type to my Epson Artison 810.

3. First thing to change is Printer "Properties", then select "Printable CD/DVD Printing" (its a Epson shortcut, if you don't have it just change your printer to cd/dvd disc). Select ok.

4. Make sure Media is set to "Print to Disc"

5. Now the paper type is funky. None are appropriate for my printer. So I chose the "Epson Stylus Photo 900".

6. Now select "Preferences". For Overprint/Bleeding, enter .10 & .10 for both vertical & horizontal. For Fine Tuning, enter -7.08 for Vertical & -6.53 for Horizontal. Select OK

7. Select OK & you should get a good looking CD

This basically takes the old settings & moves the image to the exact spot where the cd/dvd is printed for the Artison 810.

If you are using a different printer, just play with the Vertical & Horizontal numbers till you get it right.

For vertical, the lower the number, the more it raises.

For horizontal, the lower the number, the more left.

and yes, I wasted a lot of cd's...

Hope this helps!

Why not just use the software that came with the Epson Artisan 810? It works fantastic for printing directly to a CD, or DVD, and if you use Taiyo Yuden Watershield media, the results are truly amazing!

Edited by grandpabruce

Why not just use the software that came with the Epson Artisan 810? It works fantastic for printing directly to a CD, or DVD, and if you use Taiyo Yuden Watershield media, the results are truly amazing!

OK, it's not that the printers don't show my printer shows in the drop down list .... I want it to default to the printer rather than the lightscribe. I have to wait until it figures out there is no disc in the drive before I can select my printer.

OK, it's not that the printers don't show my printer shows in the drop down list .... I want it to default to the printer rather than the lightscribe. I have to wait until it figures out there is no disc in the drive before I can select my printer.

No one has been able to change that behaivor. :(

The Epson software is very good if you need the basics or your pre-design the entire cd in photoshop. The main reason I refuse to use the software is there are no aspect ratio controls. So when I place an image in the Epson software, I have to drag it to be larger. It doesn't retain the aspect ratio, it distorts it - pulling it horizontally or vertically. And no matter how large I make it in photoshop, 1200x500 logo at 300ppi, it still sizes it to the same as if I loaded a 200x100 logo at 72ppi.

And the label maker by Roxio has tons of functions, whereas the Epson software only does very, very, very basic items... If I load an image into the Roxio software, it acts a a true image & lets me edit it as one.

Its just like the program Paint for windows. Its included, but is very basic. Buy photoshop & get a lot more options...

i'm about to take the advice to "just use the epson lable maker" and just give up on the creator 2010 pro label maker for my epson artisan 810.

problem:

the creator calibration is dead on target for sheet paper. when i print directly to cd/dvd, it's almost off the disc. for orientation, the print is only in the north east corner of the cd/dvd. i have tried to lie to the creator calibration and move the target area back to the cd/dvd. this moves the print area less that 1/4" in any direction.

when i print from the epson lable maker directly to the cd/dvd, it's dead on target. however "basic" the epson lable maker may be, i don't have to calibrate anything, i haven't lost a single cd/dvd.

this is a win7, quad core 64 system.

any body with a real solution?

i'm about to take the advice to "just use the epson lable maker" and just give up on the creator 2010 pro label maker for my epson artisan 810.

problem:

the creator calibration is dead on target for sheet paper. when i print directly to cd/dvd, it's almost off the disc. for orientation, the print is only in the north east corner of the cd/dvd. i have tried to lie to the creator calibration and move the target area back to the cd/dvd. this moves the print area less that 1/4" in any direction.

when i print from the epson lable maker directly to the cd/dvd, it's dead on target. however "basic" the epson lable maker may be, i don't have to calibrate anything, i haven't lost a single cd/dvd.

this is a win7, quad core 64 system.

any body with a real solution?

Since you pulled up a thread, that has been dead for over a year, why not explain what you are trying to do, with respect to what kind of label you are trying to create?

Since you pulled up a thread, that has been dead for over a year, why not explain what you are trying to do, with respect to what kind of label you are trying to create?

ok. fyi... i'm a roxio legacy customer. i've used their products from the beginning.

i want to print cd/dvd labels directly to the disk using an epson artisan 810. this all-in-one has a cd print tray built in. the cd/dvds i'm using have paper lables on them for this purpose.

since i am using creator 2010/2011 to crate my cd/dvd, it makes sense to use the same program to create the label. I especially want to print lables for my audio cds so that i can have the track list auto-filled from the cd.

the epson software prints directly to the cd/dvd right out of the box. it did not need any adjustment or calibration. the epson label maker communicates that the printer should select the cd/dvd tray instead of the paper tray.

the creator 2010/2011 label maker requires a calibration pattern printed on an 8 1/2x11 sheed of paper. i have printed both sides of the calibration sheet. the "flip the paper over" instructions are not clear. the alignment pattern on the sheet paper indicate that i should input "IIII" in the final step of the creator 2010/2011 calibration.

all that done, i put a cd in the tray and print. for orientation/navigation, i sacrificed a cd, putting a pencil mark at "north." this "north" mark will point at the inner most point on the cd tray, where the left side of the printer is west.

the label only prints in the northwest corner of the cd. the track list is inverted.

i have manipulated the creator 2010/2011 calibration steps from "aaaa" through "qqqq." the result has not moved the print from northwest corner.

hope that helps. i "can" live without the track list on my cds. i "can" burn directly from windows. i "can" create my graphics in photoshop. i "can" live without roxio.

system: quad core 64, windows 7 home premium, espon artisan 810.

ghsmith1: I can’t really help you with this, don’t even have an Epson printer… :huh:

But I did notice you refer to Letters in your post whereas B. Phil in post #4 is referring to numbers to dial in the positioning…

Why don’t you PRINT his instructions so that you can follow them to the letter. It is possible that you may have miss-read something???

Keep your test disc simple! I usually just use one letter for my LightScribe experiments. Since you are using Ink, you could always scrap away a little and keep reusing the disc

Let us know how it works out! As Brendon mentioned, copy and paste is not appreciated here ;)

first off, it is very disappointing that this can't be fixed... ok, so thats out of the bag and I cried a little!

my epson is the 810 artison and the above instructions/settings work perfect on my machine. If you are using Epson, start from there. If it is off the disc in a certain direction (pay attention how you actually take it out of the printer), use the below text to fit your disc...

if i do the fine tuning to -7.08 & -6.53, it puts it perfectly 100% in the middle of my disc. Start there and work your way to your disc.

here are the directions the fine tuning numbers move the image on the disc.

vertical= the lower the number, the more it raises

horizontal= the lower the number, the more left it moves

Again, I think it is unreasonable there is not a list of every printer (that has cd/dvd printing) on their list with the exact locations. Hope this helps cuz thats about all I got!!!

Guess It's Good To See I Am Not Alone

I've been perplexed by this problem for years, or at least it feels that way.

Shame on Roxio for never fixing the issue!

I'm now on Creator 2012 and the same issue persists with Epson Printers as it did in 2010 & 2011.

I'm sure this problem goes back before this time, I just can't remember when it started and would feel worse if I counted the years.

My solution, if you want to call it that, is to use Label Creator and then save the project file to move it to another computer with a Flash Drive where I have the same software installed. That PC only has one Printer hooked up to it, and I have removed things like Windows Print XPS and OneNote so as not to confuse Creator software. From this second PC with only one printer and one CD/DVD drive I can print the label.

Having just read through this thread I will probably not buy Creator 2013 this year, and just give up on this software for this reason alone. I've used it for so many years that I keep going back to it, and when it gets to printing labels I curse a little, and go back to the frustrating time consuming decision to use two PC's to do this relatively simple task. As in I just get on with it, in spite of my frustration.

Today the sheer stupidity of this problem made me search to see if by chance a solution had been found, and I just didn't know about it.

Like I said, shame on Roxio for not fixing this problem because Epson Printers are some of the best on the market these days (sorry HP but you went way down in quality IMO).

Either this, or its shame on me for being stupid enough to buy the software so many years in a row,

and allowing myself to be frustrated with this issue alone - when software like Nero will work just as well.

Call me a die hard optimist. Maybe Roxio will read this post and FIX IT once and for all!