• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

toast 9 basic v9.0.7

GottaRun

Question

when i press the red button to burn a dvd:

<Could not record the disc because of a Mac OS Error. Result Code = -4>

when i 'save as disc image' i receive a message 'get toast titanium'

on a imac os 10.6.2

source file is a small AVI file, but same thing for other vid types.

what am i missing?

ps when i tried to register the product it doesn't list v9, only up to version 6 lite???

11 answers to this question

I thought I saw a Toast 9 Basic update in Roxio's software updates but can't find it now. Be sure you are not using the Toast 9 Titanium version. Are you using the Basic version that came on disc? Try trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your user Library Preferences folder to and relaunch Toast.

That didn't work. I did get Toast 9 basic from Eyetv.

As a test try choosing Export from EyeTV and save as an MPEG Program Stream. Then drag that exported file to the Toast Video window with DVD video selected as the format. I'm presuming your EyeTV recording is MPEG 2 but if it isn't choose whatever option is in the Native Formats (no reencoding) list for format in the EyeTV export window.

Tell me what model Mac you are using, what version OS X and what format the EyeTV video file is in. At what point does the error message appear?

The error message is at the very beginning of trying to burn a disc. The recordings are in eyetv format, mpeg 2 which until I started getting the error message, burned just fine. I have 10.6.2 running on a 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB. I did try the program stream, and Toast basic just said it wasn't doing any more encoding. It doesn't say that with eyetv.,

The error message is at the very beginning of trying to burn a disc. The recordings are in eyetv format, mpeg 2 which until I started getting the error message, burned just fine. I have 10.6.2 running on a 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB. I did try the program stream, and Toast basic just said it wasn't doing any more encoding. It doesn't say that with eyetv.,

So it does go through an encoding or multiplexing stage after which is won't start burning the DVD. Toast should not need to do any encoding; it should only need to do multiplexing of those MPEG 2 videos. You can go to the custom encoder settings window and select Never re-encode to force the multiplexing if needed.

If it is encoding there are times when an optical drive can go to sleep while waiting for the encoding process to complete. Toast has trouble waking the drive. A workaround is to choose Save as Disc Image and then burn that disc image file to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window. You might give that a try even if it is doing multiplexing rather than encoding.

What is your version number for Toast 9 Basic? What brand of DVD media are you using? What is the model of the Mac's optical drive?

I use memorex dvd+rw and memorex dvd+r All the solutions you just presented require Toast Titanium, and would a disc image be playable on a dvd player? Matshita dvd-r uj 875 is the model. Thank you for trying to help. Do you have any more ideas?

I thought Toast 9 Basic was only lacking the convert options. I've loaned out my Mac that has Toast 9 Basic installed so I'll have to find my disc to install it on one of my newer Macs to see how what it can do. Memorex is troublesome media for Apple Superdrives, so it might be worth testing with some Verbatim media. But I'll dig out Toast 9 Basic and give it a go with my EyeTV exports.

I have updated my computer to 10.6.3 and toast still doesn't work. By the way, I have had no problems with using Memorex DVDs with the Burn software, so I'm pretty sure it isn't the discs.

I'm still not completely clear on what is and is not happening with your Toast 9 Basic. The first troubleshooting step is to trash any toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunch Toast. You might also go to the Roxio downloads page and click the link for the VHS to DVD for Mac. In that page there is a download for Toast Basic 9.0.7. I don't know if you can get it because you got your version of Toast from ElGato and I got mine from Roxio. But give it a try.

Once you have Toast launched you should be able to send your EyeTV video to the Toast Video window (with DVD Video selected as the format) either directly from EyeTV or by using the EyeTV link in the Toast Media Browser. Set up the menu the way you want and click the burn button. Toast should not re-encode the video unless it is HD in which case Toast must re-encode it to standard definition for video DVD. Presuming your source video is standard definition what you should see after clicking the red button is a window stating that Toast is multiplexing the video. This happens fairly fast. Then Toast begins writing to the DVD.

I see now that saving as a disc image is not available with Toast 9 Basic so that wasn't at all helpful for me to suggest.

At what point doesn't this work?