• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Need to know where to ask a question?

godawgs

Question

I am trying to see if/where I should post a question about Roxio Creator DE 10.1.

Bought a Dell laptop in Dec. 2009. It came with Creator DE 10.1 installed. I have talked with Dell tech support, and all they will tell me is that they don't do software support and that I will need to contact Roxio (which is really frustrating since Dell evidently had Roxio write the DE version for them). I have posted the question in the Dell community forums, no help. I have searched the Roxio kb articles. Didn't find anything directly concerning my question. I know it isn't the full retail Creator 10 version and I know I will end up buying a retail version of something, but I have a question I would like to get help with about the DE version.

Thanks.

20 answers to this question

I am trying to see if/where I should post a question about Roxio Creator DE 10.1.

Bought a Dell laptop in Dec. 2009. It came with Creator DE 10.1 installed. I have talked with Dell tech support, and all they will tell me is that they don't do software support and that I will need to contact Roxio (which is really frustrating since Dell evidently had Roxio write the DE version for them). I have posted the question in the Dell community forums, no help. I have searched the Roxio kb articles. Didn't find anything directly concerning my question. I know it isn't the full retail Creator 10 version and I know I will end up buying a retail version of something, but I have a question I would like to get help with about the DE version.

Thanks.

Since you didn't specify the issue, perhaps this link will help.

Thanks for your offer to help, ogdens, and understanding Dell's differing stances on software support. They say they provide software support if you ask them before you buy. After purchase, it's the software mfgrs. responsibility to provide the support.

Since you didn't specify the issue, perhaps this link will help.

sknis,

I had already found the link you posted, as you will see.

I know the Dell version is not the full, retail, version of the program. But I don't think what I am asking has anything to do with that since the DE version will let you make a disc image. I just can't find a way to create the disc image directly to the hard drive. Even the Easy Media Creator 5.1 that came on the XP system I bought in 2002 would do that.

Here's the problem:

Dell Inspiron 1545, Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. Came with Creator DE10.1 installed. Updated to 10.2 thru the update button on the Help menu in the DE program. It also updated the Roxio Software Manager.

Question about making a disc image. In the project pane, on the left side, of the program, If I click the Data and Backup project, then Data Disc, the Data Disc project window opens on the right. In the add data area of the project there is a box that says:

To add data to your disc, click the Add Data button above or drag files from Windows Explorer here.

To save this project as a disc image, select a hard drive for the destination.

OR

If I click the Data and Backup project, (but don't click Data Disc), the project pane expands and the pane to the right shows "Data Disc". Underneath "Data Disc, the description is as follows: "Easily create a data CD or DVD or save a disc image to your hard drive." To the right of this is a box titled "Data Tutorials". One of the links here is "Save a disc image file". If I click this link, I am taken to the online Roxio Tutorials page titled "Save a Data Disc project as a disc image file". The Step-by-Step instructions are as follows:

1. Open a new or saved Data Disc project.

2. Select Browse from the Destination Selection drop down menu. A Save-As window appears.

3. Select a destination for the disc image file, and give it a meaningful name. Select a file type from the Save as Type drop down list.

4. Click the Save button, the Save As window closes.

5. Click the action button to begin creating your disc image file.

My problem is with step 2.

When I check New Project, there isn't a Browse button under Destination Selection. My CD/DVD combo drive is selected and there isn't a way to change it to save an image file to the hard drive.

Am I missing something, and if so can someone please what I should do to save files as a disc image?

Thanks

Additional info:

On the Roxio Support site I found this kb article:

Patch for Roxio Dell 10

Knowledgebase Article : 000069GN | Print this Article

Issue

Information about the Roxio Dell 10 patch.

Resolution

For Roxio Dell 10 users only.

The Roxio Dell 10 patch has been created to resolve issues for all version of Roxio Dell 10. This patch will not work for retail, boxed, or other bundled versions of Easy Media Creator (including prior versions).

Please read before downloading:

* You must own a valid copy of the Roxio Dell 10 such as Creator DE, Creator Premier SD or Creator Premier HD.

* If you do not have the appropriate version of the Roxio Dell 10 software, this patch will not install.

* The patch is a self extracting product and can be installed by double-clicking the file name “Dell101Patch.exe”.

Download - 13.5MB

Since the kb article doesn't say what issues the patch resolves, is there anyone out there who is familiar with this and can shed some light on what the patch actually resolves? And can this patch be applied to DE 10.2?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks Steve,

My font is set to 96 dpi

My video driver version is the same as the video driver in the driver download section at Dell so I'm assuming it's current. This computer shipped from Dell at the end of Dec. 2009.

Do you have any idea what the Patch for Roxio Dell 10 includes and/or resolves?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply gi7omy.

I'm sorry I'm just now responding. Had a broken water supply line I've been dealing with. But I do still need the help. I followed your link to the Intel site and that only raised more questions. I would appreciate some help because I'm paranoid about the damage that I've heard/read about that can be caused by installing the wrong drivers. Here's what I know:

From Device Manager:

Graphics Display: Mobile Intel 4 series Express Chipset Family

Driver version: 7.15.10.1637

Driver Date: 1/16/2009

Sound: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Driver version: 6.10.0.6162

Driver Date: 3/6/2009

The Dell Driver & Downloads site for my system lists the following driver updates available:

Video: Intel-Driver, Applies to GM45 video

Driver version: 7.15.10.1637 A03

Driver date: 5/21/2009

Audio: IDT Driver, Applies to IDT 92HD71B

Driver version: 6.10.0.6255 A02

Driver date: 11/23/2009

Chipset: Intel-Driver, Applies to GM45 Express Chipset Family

Driver version: 8.7.0.1007 A00

Driver date: 11/30/2008

So the video and audio drivers on the Dell site do have a newer date than the drivers currently on the laptop.

I don't know if the Chipset driver is newer because I don't know where to find the chipset info. on the system. Do you know how I would find that?

On the Intel Graphics Drivers page you linked me to, the second paragraph on the page says:

"These software drivers are generic versions and can be used for general purposes. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided by your system manufacturer."

I ran the Intel Driver update utility on the Intel Drivers page and got this:

" Graphics Driver

Product Detected Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Current Driver Installed 7.15.0010.1637

A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer."

So my new questions are:

1.Given the two paragraphs above, should I still download the drivers from the Intel site, or just install the recommended driver updates from the

DELL site?

2.If I do downolad and update the drivers from the Intel site and they cause a problem, is there a way to get the DELL drivers back on the system?

3.Would you recommend that I update the chipset also? A DELL tech told me a couple of months ago that he would not recommend updating the

chipset because incorrectly updating, or having a problem with the update, could render the computer completely inoperable.

My biggest concern is that I don't want to do anything I can't undo if it screws up.

I've put all questions about the Roxio imaging problem aside till I can get this resolved.

Thanks for any help.

It looks like the Dell version is the same rev as the Intel one so it looks to be up to date.

That being said, the chipset probably doesn't have the necessary horsepower to do any serious video work

Thanks gi7omy,

The driver versions are the same but the driver dates are different. Would that be enough of a difference to justify updating?

godawgs.

as the numbers are identical, that's what counts - the Dell version is probably tweaked in some way, but you still have the problem that that particular graphics is very low end and that could cause a lot of problems with any video work

as the numbers are identical, that's what counts - the Dell version is probably tweaked in some way, but you still have the problem that that particular graphics is very low end and that could cause a lot of problems with any video work

Thanks, and I know that. But I don't play video games or really need a video card on steroids. And I don't think the problem with this software is caused by the gm45 video graphics.

Thanks, and I know that. But I don't play video games or really need a video card on steroids. And I don't think the problem with this software is caused by the gm45 video graphics.

Your problem regarding the creation of an image file has nothing to do with any video card/adaptor.

You have an OEM version and it may not be able to create image files. The tutorials and help files often does not reflect the system you actually have. You should contact Dell and find out if their OEM version can create image files.

Read this post

Edited by myguggi

terry and cd,

Thanks for the help. As these pictures will hopefully show, there isn't a drop down arrow with a box.

The first picture shows the empty Data Disc page in Creator DE. There isn't anything in the Destination Selection section except the selected E drive, with no way to change it. Although the help files and the box inside the empty Data Disc page describes how to change the destination to save an image file. If you keep clicking on the images, they will get bigger.

imaging.th.jpg

The next image shows a broken outline of a rectangular box around the CD/DVD burner in the E drive. This is the same size as the solid box should look like except there should ba a drop down arrow at the end of the box. You get the broken outline when you click where the box would normally be.

imaging2.th.jpg

I know this is an empty version of the retail software that DELL had Roxio do for them. And I know that I will eventually buy a full retail version of a CD/DVD burning software. But this program should make a disc image the way it says it will. That's why I was trying to find out why the "Patch for DELL Creator 10.x" is listed on this site, but not the DELL site and what the patch addresses.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by godawgs

OK a few things in order

The graphics are ESSENTIAL for video work - the program uses the graphics processor to do the work

The problem in writing to the drive is another matter. Can you write a .iso image file to the hard drive?

Support for the DE version (despite what Dell may say) comes from Dell - we use the full version here and part of any agreement with OEMs is THEY provide suport (there are several different OEM versions around)

However, try making an image file on the hard drive - that should help narrow down where the problem is happening

Your problem regarding the creation of an image file has nothing to do with any video card/adaptor.

You have an OEM version and it may not be able to create image files. The tutorials and help files often does not reflect the system you actually have. You should contact Dell and find out if their OEM version can create image files.

Read this post

Thanks for the reply myguggi,

If you read my first post in this thread, you will see that I have contacted Dell. If you know of some way to get information from them that they have already said they are not responsible for, please let me know. Otherwise contacting them again to ask the same question again is just an exercise in futility.

I had already found and read the post you linked to.

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by godawgs

OK a few things in order

The graphics are ESSENTIAL for video work - the program uses the graphics processor to do the work

The problem in writing to the drive is another matter. Can you write a .iso image file to the hard drive?

The program will write an image file to the hard drive. The only way to do that now is to burn the files I want to use to create the image file to a CD or DVD, then go to the Copy program and click Create Image. Then it will let me create an image from the burned files on the CD/DVD to the hard drive. Then, if I need the image file on a CD/DVD, I have to put another CD/DVD in the CD/DVD burner (E:) drive and burn the image to the disc. The Data Disc program is supposed to be the way to make an image file directly from files that I have downloaded to the hard drive.

Support for the DE version (despite what Dell may say) comes from Dell - we use the full version here and part of any agreement with OEMs is THEY provide suport (there are several different OEM versions around)

I agree that Dell should be providing the technical support for the software that they have software mfgs. write for them. I also believe that the agreement between Dell, or any other OEM and Roxio, or any other non-system software mfg. is that the OEM is responsible for the support. I think Dell agrees to that to get the price from the software mfg. and then tries to skirt that part of their agreement by telling their customers that the software mfg. is responsible for the support. The thing that I don't understand about this DE version is that a patch for the Dell version is posted on the Roxio support site (but you have to look for it), and it's not on the Dell site. Or at least I can't find it. And all Dell will say is that if they had it, it would be on the Drivers/Downloads part of their site. I opened a support ticket on this site so I could ask someone about the patch. The reply I got from Roxio tech support was that Dell was responsible for their software. Surely someone knows what this patch is and what it fixes in the Dell version.

However, try making an image file on the hard drive - that should help narrow down where the problem is happening

I hope this helped. And thanks.