Spacer

Error -18771

Question

I have burnt quite a few movies on my Mac from Toast 10 to DVD in Blu-Ray format. Now, it has started giving this error. Has anyone got any ideas? I have tried saving as a disk image, but that hasn't made any difference. I have tried searching, but no-one has come up with any fixes that I could see.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone? I just tried re-encoding the file into a .mov instead of .mp4, and it got 40% instead of 1%, but still gave the same error. Grrrrr

Anyone? I just tried re-encoding the file into a .mov instead of .mp4, and it got 40% instead of 1%, but still gave the same error. Grrrrr

I have had the same problem starting with version 10.0.3. My work around is to encode in 10.0.2 and then bring those Roxio converted files into 10.0.6. BTW, I have an open case with Roxio tech support for this very same problem. they have been less than helpful in solving this.

Try 10.0.5

I got the link from "Tsantsee" in this same forum. Search for it. First, save it as disc image.

Try 10.0.5

I got the link from "Tsantsee" in this same forum. Search for it. First, save it as disc image.

Thanks, but unfortunately it stopped working on 10.05, and I tried saving to disk image, and it gave the same error. #$^@ it!

Same here! Wasted all this time learning MAC and Toast, Still can't burn a avchd on a dvd. no reply from "tech" help. Will send files back to Pinnacle on Windows. At least THEY know how to make a correct burn.

Please try this procedures if this may help....

Clean Install for Toast 10

a. Open a new finder

b. Find Toast 10 Titanium folder

c. Applications Folder

d. Drag the folder to the Trash

e. Go to Home / account user folder

f. Library then Application Support

g. Delete these following files :

BeLight Software

CDSpinDoctor

Mac2TiVo

Roxio

h. Go to Preferences

i. Delete these following files if existing

com.roxio.deepseasoftware.CDSpinDoctor.plist

com.roxio.hzsystems.CDSpinDoctor.plist

com.roxio.Streamer.plist

com.roxio.Toast.plist

com.tivo.desktop.plist

com.belightsoft.DiscCover2.plist

com.elgato.VideoPlayer.plist

Roxio Toast Prefs

j. Open Trash folder

k. Empty the trash.

For Toast 10 PRO

a. Open a new finder

c. Applications Folder

BeLight Software

Boinx

CDSpinDoctor

LightZone

Mac2TiVo

Roxio

h. Go to Preferences

com.boinx.fotomagico.LSSharedFileList

com.boinx.fotomagico.plist

com.lightcrafts.LightZone.plist

com.roxio.Mac2Tivo.plist

com.roxio.restore.plist

com.roxio.Streamer.plist

com.roxio.Toast.plist

com.tivo.desktop.plist

Roxio Toast Prefs

j. Open Trash folder

k. Empty the trash.

After doing the proper Clean Install. You may now reinstall again the Toast 10. Please let me know if there still some issues.

Note: i highly suggest that you need to use a DVD -r in order to make the project successful specially if you have Video projects and one thing to add if the Video project is jerky or unstable i better suggest that you need to lessen the Write speed in order to have a successful project.

Many thanks,

Francis Lee

Edited by robinson_galera

Please try this procedures if this may help....

Clean Install for Toast 10

a. Open a new finder

c. Applications Folder

BeLight Software

CDSpinDoctor

Mac2TiVo

Roxio

h. Go to Preferences

com.roxio.Streamer.plist

com.roxio.Toast.plist

com.tivo.desktop.plist

Roxio Toast Prefs

j. Open Trash folder

k. Empty the trash.

For Toast 10 PRO

a. Open a new finder

c. Applications Folder

BeLight Software

Boinx

CDSpinDoctor

LightZone

Mac2TiVo

Roxio

h. Go to Preferences

com.boinx.fotomagico.LSSharedFileList

com.boinx.fotomagico.plist

com.lightcrafts.LightZone.plist

com.roxio.Mac2Tivo.plist

com.roxio.restore.plist

com.roxio.Streamer.plist

com.roxio.Toast.plist

com.tivo.desktop.plist

Roxio Toast Prefs

j. Open Trash folder

k. Empty the trash.

After doing the proper Clean Install. You may now reinstall again the Toast 10. Please let me know if there still some issues.

Note: i highly suggest that you need to use a DVD -r in order to make the project successful specially if you have Video projects and one thing to add if the Video project is jerky or unstable i better suggest that you need to lessen the Write speed in order to have a successful project.

Many thanks,

Francis Lee

So you're telling us that if we jump through all of these hoops, we'll actually get toast 10.0.6 to encode a quicktime HDV movie that's longer than 2 minutes into H.264 without giving us the error message?

So you're telling us that if we jump through all of these hoops, we'll actually get toast 10.0.6 to encode a quicktime HDV movie that's longer than 2 minutes into H.264 without giving us the error message?

Actually, I jumped through all of the hoops. did a clean install. then did update to 10.0.6a. Same error message. Same crap all over again! and BTW, roxio tech support has been less than helpful about this. they don't read what the problem is, offer generic solutions, and then become non-responsive.

Actually, I jumped through all of the hoops. did a clean install. then did update to 10.0.6a. Same error message. Same crap all over again! and BTW, roxio tech support has been less than helpful about this. they don't read what the problem is, offer generic solutions, and then become non-responsive.

Just joined this thread, as I'm in the same boat. Same experience with support, so was hoping for help here. Wondering if anyone else converted their AIC.mov HD file to mp4 using MPEG Streamclip to compress for DVD hi-def burn, and whether there's any problem with doing this, or whether it's just a Toast issue.

I've tried 10.0.1,.5, .6, .6a. Think it's related to Toast problem with previously encoded MPEG-4/AVC file. i decided to do Custom instead of Auto, and set Encode to Never. Did NOT get the error code 18771, but Encoding started! Waiting to see if Multplexing takes place.

Any opinions about this? I wish Roxio tech weren't so witless.

Edited by ptat

Interestingly, when reencode set to Always, error-18771 occurs. When set to Never, Toast 10.0.6a reencodes, Then gives Error message. Plan- try mpeg 2 despite double file size, 1/2 quality. Next, drop Toast altogether, export to QT as mpeg 4 and burn with Finder. Will only report results if others comment first.

Interestingly, when reencode set to Always, error-18771 occurs. When set to Never, Toast 10.0.6a reencodes, Then gives Error message. Plan- try mpeg 2 despite double file size, 1/2 quality. Next, drop Toast altogether, export to QT as mpeg 4 and burn with Finder. Will only report results if others comment first.

Why would you want to settle for 1/2 the quality? The whole purpose is to make a blu-ray disc that is as close in quality to the original source material as possible.

OK- got an email from Roxio with instructions to completely delete all 10.0.6a components, reinstall 10.0.1, and repair Permissions. It now burns MPEG-4/AVC movie provided I set Reencode to Never, in OS10.5.8. Haven't tried 10.6.3 yet. Problems- additional audio tracks don't burn (I'll have to try different audio formats), and Chapters are out of sync. Seems Toast still needs more time in the oven before it's ready to sell to folks at my level.

OK- got an email from Roxio with instructions to completely delete all 10.0.6a components, reinstall 10.0.1, and repair Permissions. It now burns MPEG-4/AVC movie provided I set Reencode to Never, in OS10.5.8. Haven't tried 10.6.3 yet. Problems- additional audio tracks don't burn (I'll have to try different audio formats), and Chapters are out of sync. Seems Toast still needs more time in the oven before it's ready to sell to folks at my level.

This has been the problem all along. Once you get past 10.0.2, the encoder gives you the error message. It encodes except it screws up chapters. Also if you are playing these discs on Sony Blu-ray disc players, the menus don't work at all! The menu and chapter problem got fixed in 10.0.3 and beyond- it's that now the blu-ray encoder more often than not gives the error message. My work around has been to encode in 10.0.2. Close it down, then bring in the roxio converted items into the later versions so the menus work. My point being, one shouldn't have to come up with these work-arounds. and tech support has been less than helpful for this problem.

I received the same e-mail: I can now get Toast 10.0.6a to encode both is OS 10.5.8 & 10.6.2. Chapters seem to work as well. I suspect that the blu-ray encoder plug in gets corrupted when we do upgrades.

I received the same e-mail: I can now get Toast 10.0.6a to encode both is OS 10.5.8 & 10.6.2. Chapters seem to work as well. I suspect that the blu-ray encoder plug in gets corrupted when we do upgrades.

My problem with the -18771 error went away when I tossed 10.0.4 and upgraded to 10.0.5. Based on other folks' experience, it sounds like I just got lucky.

One thing though; I was also having problems with iMovie 09 exports because I had slowed down one very short video clip. I later read that this can cause headaches for non-Intel Macs when exporting HD video. My problem was no audio tracks were exported. I was able to work around that some of the time by exporting using Quicktime and fiddling with the audio export format. Resetting the slowed clip back to 100% cured the iMovie export problem for me, and I also haven't had the -18771 error since then. Could be a coincidence, but I'm suspicious.

My problem with the -18771 error went away when I tossed 10.0.4 and upgraded to 10.0.5. Based on other folks' experience, it sounds like I just got lucky.

My luck didn't last. The -18771 error returned with version 10.0.5 on only the second or third time I tried it. At least it gave the error before getting past 0% encoded. Reverting to 10.0.2 allowed making a usable disk (after >30 hours of encoding). But the menus don't really work right.

Please see my last post about 3 responses up. Do a complete uninstall and then download latest version. Reinstall blu-ray pluggin after download. so far so good for me. (keep a version of 10.0.2 in reserve- just in case things go south again; i just renamed the Toast titanium folder in my applications folder to do this.)

Please see my last post about 3 responses up. Do a complete uninstall and then download latest version. Reinstall blu-ray pluggin after download. so far so good for me. (keep a version of 10.0.2 in reserve- just in case things go south again; i just renamed the Toast titanium folder in my applications folder to do this.)

I'll give this a try. Is there only one version of the plugin? With all the Toast versions floating around, I've only seen the one plugin version. Is that right? If not, is there a way to check the version?

Update on my -18771 problem: Possible Work Around!

After finding that my -18771 issue is not related to source files, destination, or Toast version, I decided to try setting Options to Automatic, instead of Custom and setting the values suggested by Steve Mullen in "The Ins and Outs of iMovie, Second Edition".

As a software engineer, I often have to assess customer complaints of "it doesn't work". The first thing I ask for is details: what version of everything, program logs, and details of all settings, actions, and data needed to reproduce the exact "it" that "doesn't work". Apparently, Roxio does not share my interest in finding the real cause of this problem.

I now have a possible work around! I don't know what parameters Automatic uses, but I was able to burn an AVCHD DVD with both version 10.0.4 and 10.0.6 by setting the Option for Automatic+Best. This was for two 1280x720p source files, one AIC through media browser from iMovie, the other an H.264/MP4 from Cyberlink PowerDirector Ultra 8.

Along the way, I discovered that Toast uses all four cores for 88% User CPU when encoding.

There may be an additional problem when there are .m2ts files in the burn list - but that isn't an 18771 issue. Chasing that separate.

Unfortunately, your workaround doesn't work for Quicktime movies produced in Final Cut Pro (MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, 1920X1080). I always use automatic best and receive the dreaded error message, except when I did the encode in Toast 10.0.2. However, Roxio's suggested fix to uninstall the WHOLE Toast package, download the update and then reinstall blu-ray pluggin seems to have alleviated the problem. (I have tried it under both OS 10.5.8 and 10.6.2) granted, I've only done a limited number of encodes, but the movies were all more than 12 minutes long and encoded just fine this time around. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this new improved behavior holds on future encodes.

Same problem here...

Went from 10.02 to 10.06 (to fix an AVCHD audio sync conversion issue, which it did) but now we can't burn Blu-Ray to DVD without the -18771 error!

I did the whole uninstall/reinstall of the app and plug in , but it didn't work.

My laptop still has 10.02 and it works fine....

Anyone find a definitive fix for this?

Come on Roxio! Chime in!

Lee

Hello to all,

Same problem here,

New HD camera, new Mac, new Roxio Toast 10 Pro, I really feel like being 10 year in the past with my old Mac and iMovie 3...

I am discouraged ...

Hello to all,

Same problem here,

New HD camera, new Mac, new Roxio Toast 10 Pro, I really feel like being 10 year in the past with my old Mac and iMovie 3...

I am discouraged ...

It is discouraging! But I've had occasional luck by simply trying again. I was amazed to see that it worked. That luck of the draw probably explains the apparent "fixes" reported here from time to time. You change something and get lucky, and it seems like a fix, but it doesn't help anyone else. Sorry that's the best I can suggest. Oh, I have had success also after performing a re-install of the latest version. That might have been a coincidence too.